I'm just about ready to ditch my N9

anon(5564484)

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Let me start by saying I loved my N9 until the October security update and the Nougat update. There are so many of you that are way better versed than I am about this piece of equipment. I'm an average tech savvy older citizen (ok, I'm 64) that is seeking fixes for two issues that appear to not be unique to me. Screen freeze...even when shutting down my N9 freezes more than occasionally...and serious screen lag. Also, my tablet runs really hot and the battery runs down relatively quickly even when I've shut down apps running in the background. Needless to say, but I'll say it anyway, a wipe is something I really don't want to do.

Since our friends at Google don't seem to want to fix these issues with the N9, especially the screen freeze (Do any of you know if they've abandoned ongoing support of this tablet other than security updates?), are there any recommendations as to what a layman can do?

Much thanks in advance.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I put mine for sale on swappa. I replaced it with a used 16gb iPad air 2 and have no regrets. I will never purchase an HTC product again. Never.

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
Did you do a wipe before nougat (or after)? I've experienced the behaviors you described since a month after getting my N9. I still do a wipe/factory reset about every 6-8 weeks when it begins to lag, freeze, and spontaneously reboot. What apps are using the most battery? Chrome has always created the most heat on mine especially around the camera. I do think it's been running hotter on 7. 1.1 as the display is also heating up. Early on, posters suggested facebook was causing issues so I uninstalled that and never ran it again.

anon(5564484)

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Rhea, I did do a cache wipe put not a full out factory reset. I took your advice and did so and the tablet does seem more responsive and I realize that I'm better able to identify any apps causing a problem. Thanks so much.

indysteve9

May 8, 2011
Visit site
Rhea, I did do a cache wipe put not a full out factory reset. I took your advice and did so and the tablet does seem more responsive and I realize that I'm better able to identify any apps causing a problem. Thanks so much.

I have on several occasions just about threw my N9 against a wall because of the freeze ups. It happens on a frequent basis. I've factory reset, several times, cache wipe, multiple times and nothing, NOTHING helps. I'm with Aokhusman. I'll never buy another HTC or Nexus device. I'd buy a new tablet but I'm on fixed income, SS, and can't afford one. So I'll stagger thru on this tablet.

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
don't throw it to the wall yet, try a custom rom first. i'm using a rom with fire-ice kernel and since then no more freezes... snappy as hell... it gave my nexus a second life

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Already ditched my N9 for the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. A bit more pricey but a beautiful tablet. I would have LOVED having a new Nexus but it appears Google isn't interested in making new tablets.

J

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
I won't give up on mine until it's dead--or right next to it. It cost too much, and with a little maintenance, it works well. I have a feeling it's gonna keep on working just to taunt me! I love the display, though. A definite love/hate relationship. I agree about HTC based on this tab.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I won't give up on mine until it's dead--or right next to it. It cost too much, and with a little maintenance, it works well. I have a feeling it's gonna keep on working just to taunt me! I love the display, though. A definite love/hate relationship. I agree about HTC based on this tab.

That was part of the problem. After the 7.1 update, my tablet would have issues with the battery overheating and the screen scrambling. Even after a restart, within seconds, it would happen again. Trust me, I wouldn't have even considered a new tablet, especially with Samsung's OS skinning but it I had to say goodbye to my N9. If Google decides to release a new tablet in the future, I may be on board again.

J

rhea

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
That was part of the problem. After the 7.1 update, my tablet would have issues with the battery overheating and the screen scrambling. Even after a restart, within seconds, it would happen again. Trust me, I wouldn't have even considered a new tablet, especially with Samsung's OS skinning but it I had to say goodbye to my N9. If Google decides to release a new tablet in the future, I may be on board again.

J
Yes, just next to dead--my tablet will probably go on for a long time before getting there just to torment me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12