Thoughts on Android TV?

HSmart

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
I think that Android TV devices will change the future of not only television itself but also Android TV will give you a chance to controll all Smart TV functions with the help of TV remote control and swipe commands. You can use your Android smartphone (if it is connected with your tv)as an air mouse, keyboard and due to there is no need to buy additional expensive management tools for convenient operating TV Box. And it is not a secret that majority of all TV boxes and sticks have a limited functionality.

Beedog1221

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
I've got a few Android Tv boxes, and I somewhat agree with you.

My reason for having an Android TV box is to run other apps such as XBMC & fusion. I highly recommend that anyone who has an Android TV box to google it, you'll be very happy to discover why I have an Android TV box. If anyone has any questions, just give me a shout. Needless to say, I no longer need cable
Do you have any suggestions for watching hgtv through chromecast? I cut the cord but that's the only channel I'm missing

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Many of the questions about the functionality are answered in this i/o talk.

Google I/O 2014 - Android TV - A platform for the…: http://youtu.be/y3dCUPeyhag

I have had a Revue since day one and I can't live without it. Really looking forward to the upgrade. Getting one as soon as they come out. Hopefully Sony is quick out of the gate... They seem to do the best job.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Digital Moe

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
I am really looking forward to Android TV, I really want to replace my aging Popcorn hour that can't run any apps, I don't see the point in buying an expensive smart TV when a £100 box could do it so much better and the cheap Chinese Android boxes look appealing but have to many flaws. It seems like it has been such a long time since the announcement and very little news has escaped into the wild since.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I am really looking forward to Android TV, I really want to replace my aging Popcorn hour that can't run any apps, I don't see the point in buying an expensive smart TV when a £100 box could do it so much better and the cheap Chinese Android boxes look appealing but have to many flaws. It seems like it has been such a long time since the announcement and very little news has escaped into the wild since.

The info up until recently was that boxes would be available as early as October. Don't know if that's still accurate but I think the timing could be around the L release since Android TV is on L.

I saw a recent article talking about 2015 release but I don't think it was a very informed writer, most of the timelines quoted seemed like what had previously been quoted for integrated TVs which would be 2015.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
My thoughts about the Nexus Player is this: It has been out now for 2 months. In that 2 months the addition of apps (except for games) has been almost non existant. The usual apps such as Netflix and Hulu are present, but not popular apps such as HBO Go, Xfinity, Amazon Instant Video and etc. That doesn't bother ME. I have Kodi installed, the ability to sideload, surf the Net via a bluetooth mouse and keyboard and things such as those. For me and other Android enthusiasts the Nexus Player is great. However...the average consumer isn't going to know all that and many aren't going to care. Consumers are buying into the Nexus Player because of mainstream apps. Eventually they will realize that there are no new apps added and that the available apps are slim. Consumers will walk. They have Fire TV, Chromecast and Roku to choose from. Developers are not going to create apps for a device that is not selling. Further...Google will eventually stop support of the Nexus Player and it too willl join the Nexus Q. It's great that Best Buy and New Egg have started selling the Nexus Player. This should have been the case upon it's release. Right now...the way things are...I have alot of doubt about the future of the Nexus Player.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis