Thoughts on Android TV?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Looks like it is competing with roku, apple tv, and fire tv. Could be interesting. I don't plan to replace my roku 2 xs anytime soon, but if it dies, then I would consider this. Of course, it is still early so I will reserve decision until it is released.

Android TV interface and details leaked | Android Central

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This has got my attention. I'm very interested in seeing what this will shape out to be and what the price points are going to be - being that Google will be behind this has me leaning toward a dirt cheap box set.

Maybe more information to be released at I/O?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think this is an instance where timing is everything. Now that people are used to devices like this, Android TV may have a better shot at surviving than Google TV did.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if I would be to interested mainly because I could do most of the stuff I need on my Chromecast. Sadly I still have to use cable TV so I can watch sports and stuff... Hate comcast... :(.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If it is anything like gtv it will interface with your cable provider and include their results in searches, etc.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I have two Google set top boxes and a Chromecast....Why do I need an Android TV? Do not get me wrong, I will buy one, just wondering what it will do that is better than what I already have, will it work side by side with Google TV and/or Chromecast or replace them?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have two Google set top boxes and a Chromecast....Why do I need an Android TV? Do not get me wrong, I will buy one, just wondering what it will do that is better than what I already have, will it work side by side with Google TV and/or Chromecast or replace them?

We do not know a lot about it yet, but I would assume full replacement for Google TV (I have one as well) and a lot of crossover with the apps that a Chromecast supports with an approach that is more akin to Google TV in the native apps and not requiring another device context. The Chromecast focuses on your ability to enjoy your content on another screen while Google TV (and presumably Android TV) will focus on the ability to find new content and consolidate (in so much as is possible) your content in a searchable and easily navigable interface. I do not expect a LOT of functionality, if any at all over the GTV. On that front, we are really hoping for a smoothing and slimming of the experience and a much larger integration with apps across the Play Store, etc.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm very interested in it. I was using an Xbox 360 as my set top box but am looking to replace it with something that doesn't require a subscription. I have a Chromecast for now, but it would be nice to have something that had a native interface instead of wholelly reyling on my phone/tablet. A big reason for this is the Chromecast fails the babysitter test. I do not want the baby sitter using my tablet. The baby sitter doesn't always have subscriptions to Chromecast compatible services. I also genuinely miss the voice controls I had with Kinect. Right now, I use Amazon VOD, Vudu, Google Play Video, Netflix, HBO Go, YouTube, and Hulu+. Every device available today is missing at least one of these, so I'm left with a two device solution. What I really want is for Android TV to handle all of these services, but I seriously doubt we will get Amazon on it. Google Play videos is the main reason a Roku won't work for me. If it comes between a Roku with Amazon and an Android TV with Google Play, I'll get the Android TV and use Amazon less.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
If it is anything like gtv it will interface with your cable provider and include their results in searches, etc.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

I don't think it will do that. I think it will be a more direct competitor with the already mentioned devices like Fire TV and Apple TV. GTV was hampered by content providers, which have seemed to come around a bit to the idea of streaming through an app. I just hope that Google can get them on board faster than they have been with Chromecast support.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Looking forward to it. Need an update to my old Revue Google TV.

Hopefully the Primetime app (or something of equal quality) lives on in Android TV.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I also want the interface and user experience to be simplified, nothing is less fun than trying to explain to a babysitter or guest how to turn on the tv......

Emilybreanna

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
I think this would be a good way to unify the different Google TV boxes out there. Don't get me wrong, I love mine, but I would like to see one solid (not to mention stable) ui rather than a bunch of different overlays. Plus, it would allow everyone to get the same apps and updates rather than having to roll it out by model.

Posted via Android Central App

jdizzle316

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
you should check out PLAYON in the app store. this app will allow you to stream over 100 channels such as abc, nbc, cbs, espn, espn 3 and so on thru Chromecast, allowing you to effectively cut the cord.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=com.playon.playonapp&token=W4OjgbQD

I am not sure if I would be to interested mainly because I could do most of the stuff I need on my Chromecast. Sadly I still have to use cable TV so I can watch sports and stuff... Hate comcast... :(.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

jdizzle316

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I've got a few Android Tv boxes, and I somewhat agree with you.

My reason for having an Android TV box is to run other apps such as XBMC & fusion. I highly recommend that anyone who has an Android TV box to google it, you'll be very happy to discover why I have an Android TV box. If anyone has any questions, just give me a shout. Needless to say, I no longer need cable

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I've got a few Android Tv boxes, and I somewhat agree with you.

My reason for having an Android TV box is to run other apps such as XBMC & fusion. I highly recommend that anyone who has an Android TV box to google it, you'll be very happy to discover why I have an Android TV box. If anyone has any questions, just give me a shout. Needless to say, I no longer need cable

We are not talking about the same thing. I am talking about the upcoming Google Android TV, not the boxes that are already out. Thanks though :)

DrKrizzle

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
It just makes sense, and I'm baffled that Google hasn't done something yet. Apple TV and Fire TV fit well with their proprietary companies, there are multiple millions of people out there with Android Phones. This could also help a ton of people cut the cord potentially as well. I don't have a streaming box yet (except for Blu-Ray players and a Smart TV that were quickly outdated). The FireTV comes close to what I want, but I'd like access to Google Play and a Sling Player App.

drivembig

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I just purchased a Fire TV over the weekend and XBMC runs great. Im using the newest release (Gotham). Although there are a few bugs(keyboard and such), it still is awesome. I use the XBMC remote on my tablet and all is well. The little thing is super fast and very user friendly. I do wish I could add the XBMC app icon to my homescreen....

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I just redeemed some credit card points for 200 dollars worth of Amazon Gift cards, so tempted to buy the Fire TV. C'mon Google give us something, another leak or something.....Between this and the Moto 360, I am tired of waiting.....

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Google diving in to set top box. They originally had Nexus Q which was gorgeous device but the execution in functionality left much desired. Unfortunately the price did not help Nexus Q grow in popularity either. Then came chromecast which the completely opposite spectrum of the Nexus Q. However the similar function both device could before the Chromecast did it better and at a fraction of the cost.

Will project "Molly" give users a more robust amount streaming content that is not in Chromecast. Will it compete with Fire TV, Roku 3 and Apple TV? We will have to wait and see.

I am just hopping Google unveils a streaming subscription service like Netflix or Hulu of their own to go with their set top box. I would buy a Google version of a Fire TV but I just want more from Google.

If Google's "Molly" set top box could give access to the play store,chrome browse, and the functionality of Google Now is nice but they need more.

I would like Google set box to have functional to be paired with my phone. Then from there be able not just stream content but also see and respond to notification coming from my phone. Furthermore take calls using your phone as a mic or be able to use a Bluetooth headset. Lastly texting while you watch streaming content all on you tv screen would be great. This would really differentiate Google's set top box from the crowd.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34