Nice packaging. Power cord isn't that long but is long enough. Remote is a little cheap feeling compared to Apple TV's aluminum remote. Setup was quick and easy. It need need what seemed a large software update after initial setup. I did not order the Game Controller.

I downloaded Crackle, Plex for Plex Pass, Bloomberg TV, Vevo. I deleted Hulu, but kept Badlands, Netflix and Songza. The other apps are all Google offerings.

Everything works well. I signed into every app using the remote. Wasn't to hard. I also paired the Player with the Android TV app on my Android Phone. A nice app that leaves a persistent notification when connected. It offers a D-pad or trackpad interface, along with a keyboard.

Everything is fast. Very fast. Especially "Chromecast" style tab casting and app casting. My Chromebook 2 immediately showed up on the Nexus Player when I enabled tab casting. Pocket Casts from my Moto G (2014) immediately showed up on the TV when I enabled casting. My Chromecast took noticeably longer to load.

Play Music and Songza offer the best music experience I have had on any device. Clean and simple, easy to use.

Voice search is the fastest I have seen anywhere. If you are in an app, voice search targets that app, if on the main screen, it search all compatible apps. Search a music artist, and get Play Music, YouTube and Vevo results. Search a movie title, and Play Movies and YouTube results are provided. (No Netflix or Plex results, yet?)

Plex is gorgeous. I had issues with stream stalling, but disabling Direct Play solved the issue. I will monitor and report any new issues.

Badlands is the only game included. Easy to play with the remote. Loads fast.

Navigating in and out of apps is easy. Music apps kept playing. Plex keeps playing if you hit the Home button and want to navigate around. Hitting back does stop the streaming of videos however.

YouTube looks like the newest lean back interface, similar to the recently released PS4 app. However, I don't like how it splits the My Subscription section by provider and is not a timeline list view. There are ads, you can skip them after 5-seconds. Netflix is Netflix, no issues. Vevo is very fast and very high quality.

That's it for now. Don't believe the negative reviews. Or at least believe a software update has made a difference. I am very happy as it is exactly what I wanted. A beautiful way to use Plex and play music on my TV.
    11-06-2014 08:43 PM
    Nice packaging. Power cord isn't that long but is long enough. Remote is a little cheap feeling compared to Apple TV's aluminum remote. Setup was quick and easy. It need need what seemed a large software update after initial setup. I did not order the Game Controller.

I downloaded Crackle, Plex for Plex Pass, Bloomberg TV, Vevo. I deleted Hulu, but kept Badlands, Netflix and Songza. The other apps are all Google offerings.

Everything works well. I signed into every app using the remote. Wasn't to hard. I also paired the Player with the Android TV app on my Android Phone. A nice app that leaves a persistent notification when connected. It offers a D-pad or trackpad interface, along with a keyboard.

Everything is fast. Very fast. Especially "Chromecast" style tab casting and app casting. My Chromebook 2 immediately showed up on the Nexus Player when I enabled tab casting. Pocket Casts from my Moto G (2014) immediately showed up on the TV when I enabled casting. My Chromecast took noticeably longer to load.

Play Music and Songza offer the best music experience I have had on any device. Clean and simple, easy to use.

Voice search is the fastest I have seen anywhere. If you are in an app, voice search targets that app, if on the main screen, it search all compatible apps. Search a music artist, and get Play Music, YouTube and Vevo results. Search a movie title, and Play Movies and YouTube results are provided. (No Netflix or Plex results, yet?)

Plex is gorgeous. I had issues with stream stalling, but disabling Direct Play solved the issue. I will monitor and report any new issues.

Badlands is the only game included. Easy to play with the remote. Loads fast.

Navigating in and out of apps is easy. Music apps kept playing. Plex keeps playing if you hit the Home button and want to navigate around. Hitting back does stop the streaming of videos however.

YouTube looks like the newest lean back interface, similar to the recently released PS4 app. However, I don't like how it splits the My Subscription section by provider and is not a timeline list view. There are ads, you can skip them after 5-seconds. Netflix is Netflix, no issues. Vevo is very fast and very high quality.

That's it for now. Don't believe the negative reviews. Or at least believe a software update has made a difference. I am very happy as it is exactly what I wanted. A beautiful way to use Plex and play music on my TV.
    Thank you very much. You put together a very thorough review and I appreciate it. I'm jealous I bought mine off Ebay and I probably have a couple weeks longer to wait. It would be great if you could post more after you have had it for a couple days... PLEASE.

I'm sure Google will push more software updates after it's used by alot of people and bugs are revealed. I know they pushed 1 update prior to it's release. That was revealed by Phil in that YouTube video I posted.

Here is the link for downloading the Android Tv Remote mentioned above:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.tv.remote
    11-06-2014 09:21 PM
    so why should i get one of these when i already have a Chromecast?
    11-06-2014 09:31 PM
    Here is a comparison between both:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/nexus-p...-google-390726

There are alot of sites FOR and AGAINST the Nexus Player. For one thing the Nexus Player has better specs, thus making it faster. You have access to games... Gameloft just added 10 games. Depending upon the success of the Nexus Player.. there will be more apps available. It also runs Android 5.0. I have a Roku and thought I would give the Nexus Player a try because it's an Android Nexus device.
    11-06-2014 10:35 PM
    5ghz support is a big reason why.
    11-07-2014 02:26 PM
    Can you watch NHL game center?
    UN4GTBL likes this.
    11-07-2014 03:23 PM
    Can you watch NHL game center?
    yeah I am wondering about this to. I would like to know if at least the side loaded app would work?
    11-12-2014 10:20 AM