Has anybody tried sideloading Amazon Instant Video?

bxojr

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Title says it all. Seems like the Google TV version of Amazon Instant Video ought to work on Android TV, but it's marked as incompatible in the Play Store. Is it really?

droiduser19831

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I tried side-loading both the Amazon and Amazon Instant Video apps (the former required by the latter to run) and I had trouble navigating with the Nexus remote, so couldn't test if a video played -- the interface loaded at least.

I also emailed Amazon Support asking if they supported the Nexus Player, and if not, to please add support. Their response was more positive than I figured I'd get -- they at least said the request would be forwarded to the development team -- but who know if or when we'll see some action. I suggest everybody who is a Prime member email them with this same request. If anything, it should get the ball rolling. (On a plus note, they gave me a $5 credit with their above response)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I suggest everybody who is a Prime member email them with this same request.

This is a good idea. We're paying for their service and part of that service includes access to content. I understand their concerns on their end, but another Android tablet is not a competitor, it's a potential customer. They're giving prime away with the tablets anyways...

Darkbob

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I grabbed the Amazon App Store APK file from the Amazon site and sideloaded it on the Nexus Player. It loads fine but won't let me sign into my account. It comes up with "enter a valid email/password" or just spins the timer. Sometimes says "no network".

I can skip the sign-in and see all the apps but no access to my account.

As a Prime member I should be able to sign in and play Amazon Prime movies and music but unless I can sign in I'm stuck.

Anybody else with any better news and/or ideas (other than re-type my password)?

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
This is a good idea. We're paying for their service and part of that service includes access to content.

Look at it this way, though: if someone is already paying for Amazon Prime without having access to the content via their chosen device, then what incentive does Amazon have to make the content available on that individual's chosen device? Amazon already has that person's money, and they're likely going to continuing receiving that person's money regardless.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Look at it this way, though: if someone is already paying for Amazon Prime without having access to the content via their chosen device, then what incentive does Amazon have to make the content available on that individual's chosen device? Amazon already has that person's money, and they're likely going to continuing receiving that person's money regardless.

It's a very expensive renewal service in one shot for many of their customers that may balk at $99 when it's actually due. Also, convincing someone else, friend or family to drop $99 can be a tough sell. Retention and trying to offset falloff with new customers. You and I both know that it is a better value package overall, at least potentially, than Netflix... but Netflix is much more convenient currently, when it comes to video streaming. Additionally, the free Prime movies aren't the only content being sought after... before Google Play Movies was viable, I had started an Amazon video collection that is currently accessible to me only via Chromebook, PC or PS3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia