Has Anyone Installed XBMC Yet?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
For those who have received their Nexus Player... has anyone installed XBMC yet? What apps have people installed? How easy is it to sideload apps?

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I installed Kodi on the Nexus Player friday, running well, don't even need a mouse the remote allows you to navigate, just don't change the skin or you may have an issue.

You do need to allow for unknown sources in order to sideload apps. Got this from another post

to setup nexus player for sideloading:
- settings -> personal options -> security & restrictions, turn unknown sources ON

If you want to enable USB do this (not needed for sideloading) to setup nexus player:

- settings -> about, go to build on bottom and click build multiple times until it shows that you unlocked developer options
- settings -> preferences -> developer options -> debugging, turn USB debugging ON

Easiest way to do it is to download XBMC to a computer, then move it to google drive. Next install ES Explorer, I did not see it in the playstore, so once the NP is connected to your network, go to the playstore with a computer (on the same network as the NP) install Es Explorer to nexus player. Then run ES explorer from nexus player (located under settings/apps). Once ES Explorer loads use NP remote to go to network or cloud and then hit the + to add cloud, add google drive (or whatever). Find your XBMC apk and click on it and it will install.

You could do the same for SPMC, it will show up in the home pane. I deleted it and went with Kodi.

Everything runs good except Navi-X which seems to be hit and miss (might unplug the power and boot it again see if that helps). But things like ICE films and most other addons run fine.

I have Wifi AC on 5ghz and it runs fast.

Voice search in YouTube is really fast and accurate.

So far so good, have gotten to use the micro usb yet as my OTG cable is mini usb and a micro usb is required, picking on up today.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I installed Kodi on the Nexus Player friday, running well, don't even need a mouse the remote allows you to navigate, just don't change the skin or you may have an issue.

You do need to allow for unknown sources in order to sideload apps. Got this from another post

to setup nexus player for sideloading:
- settings -> personal options -> security & restrictions, turn unknown sources ON

If you want to enable USB do this (not needed for sideloading) to setup nexus player:

- settings -> about, go to build on bottom and click build multiple times until it shows that you unlocked developer options
- settings -> preferences -> developer options -> debugging, turn USB debugging ON

Easiest way to do it is to download XBMC to a computer, then move it to google drive. Next install ES Explorer, I did not see it in the playstore, so once the NP is connected to your network, go to the playstore with a computer (on the same network as the NP) install Es Explorer to nexus player. Then run ES explorer from nexus player (located under settings/apps). Once ES Explorer loads use NP remote to go to network or cloud and then hit the + to add cloud, add google drive (or whatever). Find your XBMC apk and click on it and it will install.

You could do the same for SPMC, it will show up in the home pane. I deleted it and went with Kodi.

Everything runs good except Navi-X which seems to be hit and miss (might unplug the power and boot it again see if that helps). But things like ICE films and most other addons run fine.

I have Wifi AC on 5ghz and it runs fast.

Voice search in YouTube is really fast and accurate.

So far so good, have gotten to use the micro usb yet as my OTG cable is mini usb and a micro usb is required, picking on up today.

Thanks so much for the step-by-step guide!

I don't have a laptop or desktop computer. Can I use my Samsung Galaxy S5 to transfer files? I have the ES File Explorer on my phone.

Last edited:

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Not sure you can, when I tried using my phone, it would not allow me to install on the Nexus and only installed on the phone. There may be a way around this but not sure how. You could go the ADB route but that gets technical, as you are downloading the Android SDK, loading a driver then pushing APK's to the NP. Thats how a lot of people do it, but having another computer on the same network makes it real easy. Once Es Explorer is on the NP all other apk's can be done via the phone, just install app on phone, extract apk using APK Extractor, and then move to cloud (google drive). Once there open ES Explorer on NP and install from cloud.

BTW I enabled the USB last night and connected all my old equipment from my previous android TV box, USB hub, wireless mouse and an external hard disk and all worked like a charm. Even my ethernet usb adapter worked like a charm, I pulled it out of the hub and the player disconnected ethernet and connect 5ghz wifi automatically.

I installed a bunch of apks, a lot did not work yet, surprisingly I couldn't get a browser to work, I tried chrome, dolphin, and firefox and although they would load, couldn't search anything. I will have to play around a bit more.

shn'g

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
So I am using the newest nightly build of Kodi and so far for me this has been the best. I can't find my external drive though? I'd like to load my collection into xbmc. Its a powered external drive. I don't have a USB hub but just the OTG cable hooked into the device. I can see the drive in es file explorer right away. Can anyone help? Or is this just not possible yet

Posted via the Android Central App

Ikeman90

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
So ive never heard of this XBMC thing. so i did some googling. installed on my phone. its looks cool but the interface is tiny and i went to a video thats on youtube and the audio was a bit off. idk maybe im not using it right. thats as much as ive been able to play with it at work. but i am curious to use this on my PC.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1