best "desktop experience" web browser?

mammoth10

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Coming from having a Windows PC plugged into the the living room TV, the one thing I really want is a browser with the same appearance and interface as it would have on a Windows PC. I don't think it's possible with Chrome, but are there any other browsers that can be set to have a desktop feel to them?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When I want a desktop experience I use my desktop. When I want a fast browser on my phone I use Atlas Web Browser. Not many features, but it's fast. When I want features I use Firefox Browser for Android.

You can get the same page you get on a desktop browser by setting the phone browser to be in desktop mode (it identifies itself to the site as a desktop browser). But a phone - unless you connect a mouse and keyboard to it - isn't foing to feel like a mouse and keyboard.

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
If you are talking about a browser in the nexus player, you really need a mouse. Chrome will work, but without a mouse you cannot navigate once you get to a web page.

I have chrome with the nexus player connected via a wireless mouse and it works fine.

mammoth10

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
thanks for the replies, yes I intend to use a mouse. I'm not talking about the "request desktop site" function, more the actual appearance of chrome. I can see that having a huge URL bar across the top might be useful on a 5" screen, but on a TV it is not necessary. I was wondering if there was a way to use Chrome (or another browser) in desktop mode, so that it appears as it would on a Windows PC (small URL bar and buttons, bookmarks across the top etc).

Thanks

project.in.process

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Chrome works--but like most other apps its stretched (at least for me). So, you lose some screen real estate. I've yet to find a browser that actually looks like it works on the screen.
Some have used ESFile Explorer browser, but yet again--my ESFileExplorer app (which isn't approved directly by Google for the NP) is stretched so the browser doesn't fit all on the screen either.

Wilberries

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I had a similar problem with ESfile and set the tv to scan everything and that scaled it to fit. You should have it in your TV video settings