Nexus Player vs Chromecast

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Hello All just curious if there was any benefit to getting the Nexus player over the new Chromecast. It would just be for content like Netflix and Hulu. Thanks.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If just for that, just the dedicated remote, perhaps. I'd say for those two streaming options, you're better off with a Chromecast.

me23brown

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, I like the idea of dedicated remote but I was hoping for more reasons to spend the extra money. If you don't mind what else do you use it for?

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I own a Chromecast and am just waiting for Black Friday or Winter Deals to get a new one for my other TV. I used to watch Netflix and Hulu in my TV's native apps, but compared to touch input on a phone/tablet and most importantly, keyboard input when searching, using the Chromecast instead became sooooo much easier. Granted, not all apps support Chromecasting, but for those, you can still use screen mirroring.

Also, the fact that you can be using your computer and cast any Chrome tab or just be watching a video (if the site supports it) and cast the video to the TV while keeping the computer 'free' to do other things, is just awesome. Just last night I was trying to watch the debate online and since the CNN app doesn't support Chromecast, I turned to the website and voila! The video there did support it, so I just 'casted' it to my TV, and kept on working in the computer.

Another cool use is that while you're watching a video or pictures or whatever you're using on Chromecast, your device is free to keep doing whatever else you want, including trying to find something else to watch without having to exit to an app menu. Just find it on your phone/tablet, select CAST, done. I no longer endure Hulu's auto-suggestions at the end of an episode, I just select what I want to watch during credits.

I only wish the Chromecast would be 'detected' even if you're not on WiFi. My phone, for instance, has unlimited data and I hardly turn WiFi on at all. But to Chromecast something, I have to connect it to WiFi, even though the actual video/media streaming is being handled by the Chromecast itself, not my phone.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Honestly, there isn't a good reason to get one. I have one and prefer Chromecast. The Nexus player is way too limited, app wise and performance wise as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

Derek Danforth

Jul 7, 2015
Visit site
If you can get it for $23 like I did, it's a good option. No complaints from me.

Posted via my Galaxy Note 5

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech