Still a good purchase?

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

So there's a carrier here that offers the Pixel 2 XL 128 GB in clearance at a very very good price. Given Android 11 will be the last OS update it gets, I'm on the fence about it. But also, I know this one had some issues. The blue shift never bothered me when I checked it out in store so that's not a problem for me. The issues I had with the first Pixel are making me a bit hesitant about this device too. What about other issues?

Is it a good purchase in 2020?

Thanks!

Michael Detwiler

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

So there's a carrier here that offers the Pixel 2 XL 128 GB in clearance at a very very good price. Given Android 11 will be the last OS update it gets, I'm on the fence about it. But also, I know this one had some issues. The blue shift never bothered me when I checked it out in store so that's not a problem for me. The issues I had with the first Pixel are making me a bit hesitant about this device too. What about other issues?

Is it a good purchase in 2020?

Thanks!
I would need to know price. $100 or less, yes...otherwise, buy a new 3a on a deal. FYI, I have a 2XL and love it still.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I still think the Google Pixel 2 line is a great deal today. What is the price? If you can get the 2 XL at a bargain, go for it!

Keep us posted on what happens!

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Sorry about that price ha ha!

It's a carrier so it's either $930 canadian so $675.76 upright or $10 for 24 months so $240 which is $175 US.

I was waiting for the 4a because I need more than 64GB (I'm not a big cloud user). So now that we won't see it until August, I'm looking for alternatives and this popped up this morning.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Wouldn't get the 2xl unless it was dirt cheap. It's about to be 3 years old and lose guaranteed updates. That phone had some well known issues like blue tint, black crush and various speaker problems. That's why the warranty was extended to 2 years. I did like the 2xl while it was my main phone but I prefer the 2 and 3 for older Pixel phones.

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Sorry about that price ha ha!

It's a carrier so it's either $930 canadian so $675.76 upright or $10 for 24 months so $240 which is $175 US.

I was waiting for the 4a because I need more than 64GB (I'm not a big cloud user). So now that we won't see it until August, I'm looking for alternatives and this popped up this morning.

Personally, I would not get one at that price, especially since you only want it as a stop gap until the P4a comes out. As others said, maybe $100 USD would be a good price point. Perhaps you can find something used and very cheap to get you to August. Maybe even the og Pixel if you're OK with not having the latest security updates.

the_boon

Aug 7, 2018
Visit site
I don't think this is a good deal at all.

It's not that the 2 XL can't be a great phone even today, but their price is way above its current market value. You can get a good used one for far less than that I believe.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Ha ha ha! ;)

Yeah I'm sure it'll be great. I would have gotten the 3a last year if they had a 128 GB version.

I was *this* close to buying the 3a... I gotta say, if any manufacturer can get my coin, it's the Google Pixel dudes. I may go back to Pixel in the future, despite really loving my S10.

Now, if Samsung and Google somehow teamed up...

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I know right! Google's always releasing lackluster devices (in terms of functionnalities) whereas Samsung does the exact opposite. Maybe something in between! :p

I was also considering the S10 but given it's already had one software update, there's only one left and it's a bit more expensive. But it is tempting.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I know right! Google's always releasing lackluster devices (in terms of functionnalities) whereas Samsung does the exact opposite. Maybe something in between! :p

I was also considering the S10 but given it's already had one software update, there's only one left and it's a bit more expensive. But it is tempting.

It would just be the best of both worlds, to quote Hannah Montana.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs