Pixel 2 will not start or boot, will not factory reset, only shows Charging Icon and then quits

DtInOC11

Jul 5, 2020
Visit site
I have a pixel 2 that has been working fine for more than a year, the other day it would not turn on. I charged it up fully, and then hit the power button, it briefly flashes a (full) charging icon and then immediately quits showing two short lines side by side before shutting off. Holding down the power button will cause it to repeat this cycle as long as the button is held down. Similarly, it will not go into reboot or safe mode because if you hold down the volume down button and then hold the power button it just cycles through a 'non-start' sequence as described above over and over. It will do this whether or not it is currently plugged in and charging or unplugged.

How can I get it past this? I'm perfectly willing to wipe this to factory settings, but I can't get it to that point. My first instinct is to remove the battery to make sure it is fully 'off' before trying again, but that is such an involved process I don't want to go there, especially if it will make no difference.

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Is there a way to fix this or is this a lost cause?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi, welcome to AC

Is this the original battery?
Maybe try different cables and chargers?

I've taken my 2xl apart wasn't easy as I chipped the bottom corner glass, so take your time or let a professional do this as you need to reglue it to retain water resistant.