Pixel Camera Troubles

Joeclarkia

Apr 24, 2021
Visit site
The Google Camera app has been getting hammered on reviews lately because the camera is crashing on a number of Pixel phones.. (2xl, 3, 4 etc). I didn't pay much attention until it was MY phone that now has a crashing Camera app. No one seems to have a solution. Any thoughts on the topic from those here? I'm afraid I won't be buying another Pixel if there's no resolution (or decent explanation) of this issue...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's been something that started showing up around February or so: https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/18/22289713/google-pixel-camera-not-working-issue. If the problem persists in Safe Mode or after clearing cache/data, the next step may be to do a factory reset.

If that still doesn't fix it, then it may just be a hardware failure, which unfortunately can happen with any device. For a 4 year old device, you wouldn't have many other options besides bringing it to a repair shop or getting a new phone. Sorry!

Dec 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm in a similar position, did full factory reset and still doing it. I'd presumed it was battery related as it happens more when there's been a drain on the battery - eg first noticed it when battery was eg below 30% - but don't want to replace the battery if it's not going to make any difference. Is it just full hardware failure or will battery replacement help?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So you also have a Pixel 2 or 2 XL? My guess is it's a camera hardware issue, rather than battery. But given the age of your phone, it's likely that the battery is getting pretty old, so if you want to keep using it, it may be worth replacing the battery anyway and seeing if it helps the camera.

mwb1957

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
I just upgraded from a 2XL to a P6P. To avoid camera issues on the 2XL, I stopped accepting the camera app upgrades for the last year.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freyon77