New noise in bluetooth calling only in car

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
My wife's phone has recently begun making rattling/clacking noises when calling from the car bluetooth. The phone lays in an accessory tray where it has always lain. The noise is physical/mechanical since it happens when going over bumps, etc. But I'm not sure why it is new. I wouldn't think the automobile microphone would pick up these noises. The phone microphone probably would since it would be closer to where the phone is clacking against the interior of the car. Is there a setting that chooses which microphone to use (ie. car vs phone) for BT calls? I asked her if she tried forgetting the phone and then re-pairing it but not sure if she's ried that. Any ideaas appreciated. Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you ask her to test it while keeping the phone on the seat cushion instead?

(I'm not aware of an option to choose between the car and phone mic, but I could be wrong.)

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
She tried holding it in her hand, person on the other end heard rattle only when crossed the railroad tracks so pretty sure it's noise from car interior. But it's recent, wasn't like this at first. Thanks for the reply.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought about this more -- the sound must have to do with the car's mic. Which car does she have? Maybe we can figure out where the mic is, and then ask her to look in that area to see if something like an errant wire is dangling around there.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
I've not figured out where the microphone is. 2017 Ford Explorer. I googled and found someone reporting that the mic is above you on a 2017. There's photos out there but they all look different.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's what I found as well -- it looks like the mic is also above your head (to the right of the driver's sunshade) on Ford trucks as well. Maybe try testing a call while driving and have someone (in the passenger seat) press up in the area of the mic to help secure anything that might be loose.

mccornwall

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Solved it. Microphone is behind a small hard plastic grate in the headliner right above the visor. The visor was up and on it was a clip on air freshener made of hard plastic. Plastic on plastic. Air freshener has been moved. Noise is gone. Thanks for pointing me to it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Solved it. Microphone is behind a small hard plastic grate in the headliner right above the visor. The visor was up and on it was a clip on air freshener made of hard plastic. Plastic on plastic. Air freshener has been moved. Noise is gone. Thanks for pointing me to it.

Excellent! This thread might help others with the same situation in a similar vehicle.:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay