Pixel 2 sold in carrier stores in US? Any rumors?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Have we heard any rumors yet on whether the Pixel 2 phones will be sold via Carriers? Last year it was only Verizon in the US (which worked out for me). I am just hoping Verizon sells it again.

(Yes, I know I can probably buy it unlocked and use Verizon, but I will not be changing carriers so I will want to get it through Verizon , and also to be certain Advanced Calling and all VZ features work fine).

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
@Golfdriver97 Yes me too.

Until the Pixel, I had really found stock Android very boring. But happening upon the Pixel XL by circumstance (Note 7 user, and returner) really made me appreciate the clean OS more than I ever had previously. I feel like if Google can get the Pixel 2 sold by carriers, make sure it has a nice screen and a great camera, it could sell very well for them. (Assuming Google can actually keep it in stock for once).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I had really found stock Android very boring.

I was that way too. Until I noticed I was flashing more and more AOSP ROMs on my S3. Then came the Moto X 2013, and I have been pretty much Vanilla Android since.

As for the stock issues, hopefully Google has learned from it. It would be a nice thought that the stock issues were due to a severe underestimation of demand.

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Have we heard any rumors yet on whether the Pixel 2 phones will be sold via Carriers? Last year it was only Verizon in the US (which worked out for me). I am just hoping Verizon sells it again.

(Yes, I know I can probably buy it unlocked and use Verizon, but I will not be changing carriers so I will want to get it through Verizon , and also to be certain Advanced Calling and all VZ features work fine).
I'd like to be able to see all the colors before buying.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to be able to see all the colors before buying.

Well, even if it doesn't make it to any carrier store (I'm sure it will), I bet you can get your hands on one somewhere - as well as view all the hands on videos that come out before launch :)

p.s. That user name is awesome :)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
In case for some reason, the Pixel 2 isn't sold by Verizon directly, let me ask my original question another way as a Verizon customer, since I expect the Pixel 2 to work on carriers in a similar way as the Pixel:

For any folks who bought the Pixel from Google (not Verizon) but use it on Verizon, do all the features work? (i.e. Advanced calling, etc). Anything you can't do/use on Verizon by purchasing the Google version?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
In case for some reason, the Pixel 2 isn't sold by Verizon directly, let me ask my original question another way as a Verizon customer, since I expect the Pixel 2 to work on carriers in a similar way as the Pixel:

For any folks who bought the Pixel from Google (not Verizon) but use it on Verizon, do all the features work? (i.e. Advanced calling, etc). Anything you can't do/use on Verizon by purchasing the Google version?

It's the same.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Phandroid popped up on my Google Now feed, http://phandroid.com/2017/09/13/pixel-2-available-on-verizon/

"Rumors suggest, Pixel 2 only available on Verizon."

Google would be shooting themselves in the foot in the sophomore year of their flagship. Aren't they supposed to expand a bit...perhaps ink a deal with a GSM carrier as well.

If not that, start off by having the unlocked version at Best Buy and Amazon. I really don't care that the one Verizon sells does the same thing. Most customers with a different carrier aren't going to bother because they don't want to get hassled to open a new line. And the thought of buying one outright isn't going to fly.

Apple, Samsung and LG are doing big things with their premium flagships. Availability is key. If one can't walk into a store and see them all side by side (or walk between displays), then what's the point?

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Phandroid popped up on my Google Now feed, http://phandroid.com/2017/09/13/pixel-2-available-on-verizon/

"Rumors suggest, Pixel 2 only available on Verizon."

Google would be shooting themselves in the foot in the sophomore year of their flagship. Aren't they supposed to expand a bit...perhaps ink a deal with a GSM carrier as well.

If not that, start off by having the unlocked version at Best Buy and Amazon. I really don't care that the one Verizon sells does the same thing. Most customers with a different carrier aren't going to bother because they don't want to get hassled to open a new line. And the thought of buying one outright isn't going to fly.

Apple, Samsung and LG are doing big things with their premium flagships. Availability is key. If one can't walk into a store and see them all side by side (or walk between displays), then what's the point?

Per another thread .. It's likely the same as last yearyear, or at least 1 AP writer does .. "only on Verizon" retail stores, perhaps. Plus you can get it form Google directly and use it on any other carrier..

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Per another thread .. It's likely the same as last year. "only on Verizon" retail stores, perhaps. Plus you can get it form Google directly and use it on any other carrier..

That's what I'm complaining about. Why offer the same avenues to get the device when its possible to have more? Perhaps Google is anticipating similar supply issues like last year as well. If people don't see the phone when they walk into a Big 4 carrier store, its not going to go mainstream.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
That's what I'm complaining about. Why offer the same avenues to get the device when its possible to have more? Perhaps Google is anticipating similar supply issues like last year as well. If people don't see the phone when they walk into a Big 4 carrier store, its not going to go mainstream.

Or Verizon is paying good money for the exclusivity.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I just don't understand why in 2017 Google still can't get their phones on more Carrier stores. At least GSM like T-Mobile hint hint lol. I'm getting this phone but at least make it easier and let us have more options to purchase.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
1) It's the same price regardless of where you buy it.
2) You can buy it from Verizon and pop a SIM card in for your carrier of choice.
3) You can buy it from Google and pop the SIM card in for your carrier of choice.

Seriously. How much easier can it be???

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
1) It's the same price regardless of where you buy it.
2) You can buy it from Verizon and pop a SIM card in for your carrier of choice.
3) You can buy it from Google and pop the SIM card in for your carrier of choice.

Seriously. How much easier can it be???

2.) So when one walks into a Verizon store, they are approached by a sales person correct? So when a sales person engages in a conversation with someone, they are a potential customer. Last year when I walked into a Verizon store to LOOK at a Pixel, I was given the sales pitch and was almost harassed into switching to Verizon. I'm not having that.

I don't care to go into carrier stores, let alone one that I am not a subscriber of. Its not like one can walk in and say, "Give me the darn phone" pay and walk out.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
When the Pixel came out I walked into a Verizon store. One of the sales people came over and I said "...just looking..." and they left me alone to play with the phone. Maybe I have a "don't mess with me or I'll slit your throat" look about me? It's not that big a deal. I never asked if I could just buy the phone outright without a line but, being a for-profit outfit, I doubt they'd say no. Did you try?

How else are you going to try out the phone without some carrier stocking it and walking into their store and (gasp!) possibly being harassed to open an account??? For years I wanted to gt a Nexus device but no one carried them and I wouldn't get one without trying it first. I would think that a major carrier carrying one is a good thing for this reason. Now, if they loaded it with bloat that one couldn't remove, well, wait, I can buy it from Google!