Pixel 2 = Bezelmania

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Where do you put your thumbs while you're playing a game or watching a video in landscape?

I hold my phone the proper ways. I also sometimes rest my phone in landscape between my thumb and index finger kind of like a stand.

http://www.affordablesalamanca.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/171114621.jpg

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/black-smart-phone-hand-mobile-isolated-white-background-30519004.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1235655/thumbs/o-CELLPHONE-CONTRACT-facebook.jpg

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Looks like Google will be trying an old Apple tactic with the pixel 2. Re-cycle old junk with a new processor. Same huge bezels. Price it at a premium. HEY RICK, it won't work. You won't sell 50,000. People want minimum bezels in a small form fator.

Speak for yourself, plenty of people want a bezel so they can actually hold their phone firmly without touching the screen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
First one would never work on a full size phone. No way to reach navigation buttons or notifications. Might work if you move fingers to middle the back of the device.

Second and third are camera grips, not interacting with content. Both would be held out away from the face, rather than lower above the lap, etc.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
First one would never work on a full size phone. No way to reach navigation buttons or notifications. Might work if you move fingers to middle the back of the device.

Second and third are camera grips, not interacting with content. Both would be held out away from the face, rather than lower above the lap, etc.

The first one absolutely works on full-size phones. I do it all the time with my Note 5. It basically looks like this.
http://tech.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Review-Tech2-Firstpost-20.jpg

If you want to interact with the video then you do the same as in the third picture in my previous post except you put your pinky finger of your right hand under the phone and use your thumb or rest it slightly on your right palm and use your thumb. It isn't rocket science here. There is no need for bezels.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The first one absolutely works on full-size phones. I do it all the time with my Note 5. It basically looks like this.
http://tech.firstpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-Review-Tech2-Firstpost-20.jpg

If you want to interact with the video then you do the same as in the third picture in my previous post except you put your pinky finger of your right hand under the phone and use your thumb or rest it slightly on your right palm and use your thumb. It isn't rocket science here. There is no need for bezels.
So that tech picture, there's no way that person's hands can reach most of the screen. They'd have to use the other hand.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
So that tech picture, there's no way that person's hands can reach most of the screen. They'd have to use the other hand.

LOL then in those rare instances use the other hand. How is this so difficult? Why are you tapping on every video you watch anyway? You people are weird. Literally most smartphone users have no problems holding their phones without using the bezels.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
LOL then in those rare instances use the other hand. How is this so difficult? Why are you tapping on every video you watch anyway? You people are weird. Literally most smartphone users have no problems holding their phones with using the bezels.
Most smartphones have huge bezels, not sure if we can know if people are having problems or not.

The interaction comment was because one of the landscape applications was games. For the you want a place to rest hour thumb where it isn't causing feedback in the game. Bezels don't need to be huge, but they don't need to be small either. The difference is primarily aesthetically oriented, not functionally. 100% user preference. They do serve a purpose, but if you choose to not use any of it's three main purposes, I don't think anyone will fault you for that.

It's not that I don't get your point, it's that I don't think your point is applicable to how most people actually act and/or that it's the best solution. Which is fine, you use your phone how you like to and I'll use mine in a weird way.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Most smartphones have huge bezels, not sure if we can know if people are having problems or not.

The interaction comment was because one of the landscape applications was games. For the you want a place to rest hour thumb where it isn't causing feedback in the game. Bezels don't need to be huge, but they don't need to be small either. The difference is primarily aesthetically oriented, not functionally. 100% user preference. They do serve a purpose, but if you choose to not use any of it's three main purposes, I don't think anyone will fault you for that.

It's not that I don't get your point, it's that I don't think your point is applicable to how most people actually act and/or that it's the best solution. Which is fine, you use your phone how you like to and I'll use mine in a weird way.

Most people don't hold their phone using the bezels.

You don't need bezels for playing games in landscape. In fact, I can't think of any reason to use the bezels while playing a game. You hold the phone just like this.
https://mobiwatch.de/wp-content/mediathek/Galaxy-S8-vs-S7-GC-Websitebild.jpg

Bezels are 100% unnecessary for holding a phone in any situation.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Most people don't hold their phone using the bezels.

You don't need bezels for playing games in landscape. In fact, I can't think of any reason to use the bezels while playing a game. You hold the phone just like this.
https://mobiwatch.de/wp-content/mediathek/Galaxy-S8-vs-S7-GC-Websitebild.jpg

Bezels are 100% unnecessary for holding a phone in any situation.
Roger that. I'm still having trouble understanding where your data comes from for the "most people" parts, but really it doesn't matter much. As I tried to say earlier, if it's 100% unnecessary for you, then don't use them. For people that like them, I would suggest they buy devices that keep them, rather than being bombarded with the "you're holding it wrong" marketing strategy. Sort of a be together, not the same thing.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Roger that. I'm still having trouble understanding where your data comes from for the "most people" parts, but really it doesn't matter much. As I tried to say earlier, if it's 100% unnecessary for you, then don't use them. For people that like them, I would suggest they buy devices that keep them, rather than being bombarded with the "you're holding it wrong" marketing strategy. Sort of a be together, not the same thing.

I know how people hold their phones because I see people using their phones all the time and they never hold their phone by the bezels.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I know how people hold their phones because I see people using their phones all the time and they never hold their phone by the bezels.
I'm sure, but you're indicating "most people" which means you're speaking for 3-4 billion people, or are least most of them. Doing so would require data, which would require randomly selecting from among all the people on the Earth who use phones and establishing data driven trends based on their usage over time with multiple device designs. A few people, even if it's 1000 people, that you see in the places you go, cannot ever accurately represent what most people actually do. Example, you think most people have phones with small bezels. This can easily be established as untrue because most phones in use have huge bezels, at least compared to the recent flagships you're referencing.

Also, saying "they never hold their phone by the bezels" indicates either that you're not paying attention or your seeing something that's statistically so improbable that we'd call it as close to impossible as makes all odds. Many, not sure if the percentage, long time iPhone users hold their phone by the bottom bezel. Watch people that use small iPhones for work.

Perhaps you meant to say something to the effect of, I think many people probably... Which is fine, but sometimes it is just overcomplicating what can easily be restated as, " I prefer x" instead of "most people prefer x".

Final point, if there's no reason at all to have bezels, why is "palm rejection" a thing that is necessary? Aren't all this people holding it wrong?

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure, but you're indicating "most people" which means you're speaking for 3-4 billion people, or are least most of them. Doing so would require data, which would require randomly selecting from among all the people on the Earth who use phones and establishing data driven trends based on their usage over time with multiple device designs. A few people, even if it's 1000 people, that you see in the places you go, cannot ever accurately represent what most people actually do. Example, you think most people have phones with small bezels. This can easily be established as untrue because most phones in use have huge bezels, at least compared to the recent flagships you're referencing.

Also, saying "they never hold their phone by the bezels" indicates either that you're not paying attention or your seeing something that's statistically so improbable that we'd call it as close to impossible as makes all odds. Many, not sure if the percentage, long time iPhone users hold their phone by the bottom bezel. Watch people that use small iPhones for work.

Perhaps you meant to say something to the effect of, I think many people probably... Which is fine, but sometimes it is just overcomplicating what can easily be restated as, " I prefer x" instead of "most people prefer x".

Final point, if there's no reason at all to have bezels, why is "palm rejection" a thing that is necessary? Aren't all this people holding it wrong?

LOL come on. You don't need evidence to prove things that are obvious. The fact of the matter is that most people don't grip their phone by the bezels.

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I think a bezel free phone in the 5.5 screen size range would be nice. Reducing the bottom height would increase the amount of screen I could reach one handed with it resting on my pinky. Typing would be a little weird with the keyboard lower but just making that a bit bigger would compensate.

I do NOT want no bezels with all the funky cutouts for cameras etc, that's just dumb and is going to either break apps or shove things over and waste more screen.

The taller screens with different aspect ratios seem like an improvement if Google sticks with the on screen nav bar, which in general I like too.

Oh, but all this only works if the phone case IS NOT SLIPPERY! Seriously, this will lead to more drops.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I think way more folks in the general public (not in these forums) would complain about accidental touches that happen when there are little or no bezels, than would complain about having bezels. Once normal folks get a phone, they put a case on it , and care about what is on the screen and what it can do, not about bezels.

As for me, I don't care at all. I want some bezels to make usability easier, but I care very little overall about it.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I hold mine like in the first photo and guess what? With my note 5 I get false touches. Because of my palm under my thumb.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nobody holds their phone via the bezels. Stop making excuses for the dated designs we continue to see.

So, we've already established that a) that's literally untrue, b) you couldn't know that even if it was possible and c) the post above yours included someone pointing out that they are, as is this post author here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=827022&p=5931804&viewfull=1#post5931804

What exactly is "dated" about the design? The U11, one of the best devices of the year, still utilizes it, as do the iPhone 7 and Pixel devices, the best devices of last year, etc. This is a VERY recent fad, with little to no data of the impact to market preferences so far.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
So, we've already established that a) that's literally untrue, b) you couldn't know that even if it was possible and c) the post above yours included someone pointing out that they are, as is this post author here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=827022&p=5931804&viewfull=1#post5931804

What exactly is "dated" about the design? The U11, one of the best devices of the year, still utilizes it, as do the iPhone 7 and Pixel devices, the best devices of last year, etc. This is a VERY recent fad, with little to no data of the impact to market preferences so far.

😂 why do you need "data"? Can't you see just from complaints on these forums and YouTube comments that people are getting fed up of these front designs?

I will never buy a Samsung and the G6 has way too many flaws, but credit to both companies for driving the new trend. Can't say the same for other brands.

P.S. the U11 is the phone of the year so far, but it's so needlessly large because of these damn bezels.

TBH I only really ask for minimal side bezels, I can live with a bit of vertical bezel. I don't understand why phones don't at least get rid of the side ones, by and large.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC