09-15-2017 07:15 PM
138 123 ...
tools
    Looks like Google will be trying an old Apple tactic with the pixel 2. Re-cycle old junk with a new processor. Same huge bezels. Price it at a premium. HEY RICK, it won't work. You won't sell 50,000. People want minimum bezels in a small form fator.
    aspergerian likes this.
    08-21-2017 08:58 AM
    Eh, it'll sell fine. Most people don't care about bezels, a lot of them even want a phone to have some bezels so they have somewhere to put their fingers. And it's only the small one. The larger one has the tiny bezels that some of the people want. There's nothing "recycled" though, where did you get that? Honestly your post feels like hyperbole, rather than a reasoned argument for or against any particular feature or action. 50,000? Sorry, the small one alone will sell that in the first few hours.
    dsignori likes this.
    08-21-2017 09:15 AM
    I had no problem with the first Pixel. I think it was ok. If bezels get too much smaller, they will have to figure out a much better palm rejection that what is currently on most cell phones.
    dsignori and rbell2915 like this.
    08-21-2017 09:19 AM
    I had a Pixel, I loved the bezels and size. Now I have a Pixel XL, like the bezels and size.
    Will not get an XL2 - don't like the looks. Might get a Pixel 2.
    olugbo likes this.
    08-21-2017 09:27 AM
    Wow... last year people were complaining that it didn't have water resistance and this year it's the bezels... I wonder what next year's general complaint will be...

Look if bezels are that unacceptable for you, get an S8, a G6 or if you want stock Android, get a PH1! Problem solved!
    08-21-2017 10:21 AM
    This is a very original and clever topic...
    Aquila likes this.
    08-21-2017 10:24 AM
    Uh, can we all just agree that the term is Bezelpalooza, not Bezelmania?! I mean, really people. It's 2017!
    Aquila likes this.
    08-21-2017 11:27 AM
    Judging by the bezel-drama from some, Bezelpocalypse seems appropriate.
    08-21-2017 01:23 PM
    Bezelgate
    08-21-2017 01:27 PM
    That 30s not live 'live stream' was dumb and an absolute waste of my time. I guess that means no P2 news today, bezels or otherwise.
    dlalonde likes this.
    08-21-2017 02:14 PM
    That 30s not live 'live stream' was dumb and an absolute waste of my time. I guess that means no P2 news today, bezels or otherwise.
    Correct, as I said last week and the week before that, there is no device announcement today. Just the "here's the name, software is rolling out today" thing.
    08-21-2017 02:24 PM
    But what was the 'event' in NY exactly? Did the Android team actually do a presentation? Or did they just pop smoke from the superoreo doll and everyone sitting on the lawn went home?
    08-21-2017 02:29 PM
    Correct, as I said last week and the week before that, there is no device announcement today. Just the "here's the name, software is rolling out today" thing.
    And it's not even rolling out today! So this live stream thing was just useless.
    08-21-2017 02:30 PM
    But what was the 'event' in NY exactly? Did the Android team actually do a presentation? Or did they just pop smoke from the superoreo doll and everyone sitting on the lawn went home?
    Pretty much, yes exactly that.
    08-21-2017 02:34 PM
    And it's not even rolling out today! So this live stream thing was just useless.
    It did roll out, I have it installed. If you don't have it yet, you can enroll in the beta and then it's available like 5 minutes after you install the beta.
    dlalonde likes this.
    08-21-2017 02:39 PM
    It did roll out, I have it installed. If you don't have it yet, you can enroll in the beta and then it's available like 5 minutes after you install the beta.
    Doing it now. 950.7 MB d/l
    After this is d/l and installed is it necessary to get out of the beta program, or since this is the final build there is no more "O" beta program?
    08-21-2017 03:01 PM
    Wow, I didn't realize that the named actually mattered to people. I couldn't care less whether the release is called Oreo, Orange or Orphea's Edible Panties. I was actually hoping for some sort of presentation pitching the major changes in 8.0 and maybe a Pixel 2 teaser. And the super hero thing is seriously tired (Thanks Hollywood).
    08-21-2017 03:38 PM
    Yeah, they did announce most of the features at IO and so there's not much unexpected, but the whole thing was definitely anti-climatic.
    08-21-2017 03:43 PM
    I had no problem with the first Pixel. I think it was ok. If bezels get too much smaller, they will have to figure out a much better palm rejection that what is currently on most cell phones.
    The way you guys hold phones is bizarre. Bezels are completely unnecessary.
    08-21-2017 04:37 PM
    The way you guys hold phones is bizarre. Bezels are completely unnecessary.
    Where do you put your thumbs while you're playing a game or watching a video in landscape?
    DMP89145 likes this.
    08-21-2017 06:05 PM
    Where do you put your thumbs while you're playing a game or watching a video in landscape?
    I hold my phone the proper ways. I also sometimes rest my phone in landscape between my thumb and index finger kind of like a stand.

http://www.affordablesalamanca.com/w.../171114621.jpg

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/blac...d-30519004.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1235655/th...T-facebook.jpg
    08-21-2017 08:49 PM
    Looks like Google will be trying an old Apple tactic with the pixel 2. Re-cycle old junk with a new processor. Same huge bezels. Price it at a premium. HEY RICK, it won't work. You won't sell 50,000. People want minimum bezels in a small form fator.
    Speak for yourself, plenty of people want a bezel so they can actually hold their phone firmly without touching the screen.
    DMP89145 and jlarkins08 like this.
    08-21-2017 08:56 PM
    I hold my phone the proper ways. I also sometimes rest my phone in landscape between my thumb and index finger kind of like a stand.

http://www.affordablesalamanca.com/w.../171114621.jpg

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/blac...d-30519004.jpg

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1235655/th...T-facebook.jpg
    First one would never work on a full size phone. No way to reach navigation buttons or notifications. Might work if you move fingers to middle the back of the device.

Second and third are camera grips, not interacting with content. Both would be held out away from the face, rather than lower above the lap, etc.
    08-21-2017 08:59 PM
    First one would never work on a full size phone. No way to reach navigation buttons or notifications. Might work if you move fingers to middle the back of the device.

Second and third are camera grips, not interacting with content. Both would be held out away from the face, rather than lower above the lap, etc.
    The first one absolutely works on full-size phones. I do it all the time with my Note 5. It basically looks like this.
    http://tech.firstpost.com/wp-content...rstpost-20.jpg

If you want to interact with the video then you do the same as in the third picture in my previous post except you put your pinky finger of your right hand under the phone and use your thumb or rest it slightly on your right palm and use your thumb. It isn't rocket science here. There is no need for bezels.
    08-21-2017 09:25 PM
    The first one absolutely works on full-size phones. I do it all the time with my Note 5. It basically looks like this.
    http://tech.firstpost.com/wp-content...rstpost-20.jpg

If you want to interact with the video then you do the same as in the third picture in my previous post except you put your pinky finger of your right hand under the phone and use your thumb or rest it slightly on your right palm and use your thumb. It isn't rocket science here. There is no need for bezels.
    So that tech picture, there's no way that person's hands can reach most of the screen. They'd have to use the other hand.
    08-21-2017 09:27 PM
138 123 ...