I realize this forum will likely be biased, but I am interested in your opinions.

I own a moto nexus 6 - it needs replacingf for the following reasons:
    1. Charge port is junk, but I have wireless charging
    2. only 32GB - have to manage space a lot
    3. getting slowish with android 7
    4. no more major releases (no oreo for me)

I am looking at the following options:
    • PixelXL 128GB now (I think it is on sale at my verizon store)
    • PixelXL after Pixel 2 release (maybe cheaper then)
    • Pixel 2 XL

Speed between Pixel and Pixel2 is not likely to be a factor for me. Biggest concerns are cost and updates cycle. With Pixel I will get 2 years (or more if they keep selling on the store), I assume the same will be trie of Pixel 2, so I get about a year or so more updates.

What would you get?
    09-08-2017 10:00 AM
    How Google has done things in the past is the current device goes on sale to reduce inventory space. By the time the new device releases, there may be none left of the old version.

Each phone would be supported for 3 years from time of release. So getting a Pixel now would get you 2 years, and a new one would get 3.

I honestly would get the XL 2.
    09-08-2017 10:38 AM
    If you don't mind last year's flagship, get that and save money. It'll last you long enough. If Google stops supporting it, there will be community support and you'll be able to just flash a ROM.
    09-08-2017 10:43 AM
    the pixel 2 sure !
    09-08-2017 12:09 PM

Each phone would be supported for 3 years from time of release. So getting a Pixel now would get you 2 years, and a new one would get 3.

Actually they get 3 years of security updates. They only get 2 years of OS updates
    09-08-2017 01:32 PM
    @BradTheGeek It's a tough call, but you laid out the +'s and -'s of it pretty well. You mentioned the biggest concerns for you are cost and update cycle. The XL will obviously be much cheaper to get, but it depends on how you pay and what value that is to you. For example, if you are paying outright, having another $300 or $400 in your pocket might be a big reason to stick with the XL. But if you are paying monthly, though the overall cost is around the same, it might be a matter of paying $21/month vs paying $35/month. In that scenario, the higher amount is easier for many folks to deal with.

On the other hand, the new XL2 will likely get you a bigger screen, Bluetooth 5, waterproofing, and other hardware goodies (though no 3.5mm jack).

Good luck with your decision. FWIW, my XL runs just great after a year ..
    09-08-2017 01:39 PM
    Actually they get 3 years of security updates. They only get 2 years of OS updates
    Correct. I should have posted that part.
    09-08-2017 02:18 PM
    As your current phone is a Nexus 6, that tells me you're not the kind who replaces their phone at the drop of every new model. That being the case, I would go for the newest available, e.g., the Pixel 2 or Pixel XL 2 and keep it for a good long time.
    09-09-2017 03:03 PM
    As your current phone is a Nexus 6, that tells me you're not the kind who replaces their phone at the drop of every new model. That being the case, I would go for the newest available, e.g., the Pixel 2 or Pixel XL 2 and keep it for a good long time.
    Reminds me of what a computer teacher told me in school.

"When upgrading hardware, whether components or complete devices, always go for the the most up to date. With the rate technology is progressing, even the newest tech will be outdated rather quickly, so no sense putting yourself in a hole."

I was told this in 1996, and the rate of tech progression back then was nothing compared to what it is now. So I would always go for the newest, especially if you plan to keep it for longer than a year or two.

I also agree with Golfdriver, when they released the Pixels, the Nexus line was no longer available. I doubt anything will change this time around. So unless you plan to buy from someone other than Google (carriers or retailers like Amazon and Best Buy might have the older models) or go the used route, you'd better decide before they announce/release the newer Pixels.
    09-09-2017 10:22 PM