Pixel 2 Launch on October 4th!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Here we GO ...Oct 4th ...Big Event

he is probably talking about the negative experience some 6p owners are having dealing with devices bought directly from Huwei.

if you bought your 6p from Google and having battery issues, they are replacing with a new Pixel XL. if purchased from H, you are SOL.

exactly this.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

did u miss where google replaced all the nexus 6p for free with pixel(other who bought it from bestbuy and amazon were out of luck). if you bought from google you will have better support. thats just one example
That's a Nexus, not a Pixel.

Google's contact allows them to warranty the Nexus phones that they sold directly and leaves all others, sold by Not Google, to be handled by the OEM. In the case of the 6P that's Huawei.

For Pixel devices, Google is the OEM so they can handle all devices, regardless of point of sale.

Totally different relationships with very different implications for how Google is able to handle support.

mrvco

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
If preordering isn't a headache then I'm going to have a hard time not ordering a P2 straight away. If preordering is a hassle, then I'll probably order a refurb P1 and sit tight.

I know the screen is supposed to be larger with reduced bezels, but is the overall size (height and width) of the Pixel 2 XL rumored to be larger than the Pixel XL as well?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If preordering isn't a headache then I'm going to have a hard time not ordering a P2 straight away. If preordering is a hassle, then I'll probably order a refurb P1 and sit tight.

I know the screen is supposed to be larger with reduced bezels, but is the overall size (height and width) of the Pixel 2 XL rumored to be larger than the Pixel XL as well?
Pretty close to the same body size.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Surely.... Surely they won't make the same mistake again.

Let's hope not. They do seem to have learned their lesson that they can't trust HTC to produce all the devices and they can't trust Samsung to be on time with all the displays, so now they have two different sets of factories and two different display makers. That addresses both of last year's issues, so hopefully it's enough.

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

That's a Nexus, not a Pixel.

Google's contact allows them to warranty the Nexus phones that they sold directly and leaves all others, sold by Not Google, to be handled by the OEM. In the case of the 6P that's Huawei.

For Pixel devices, Google is the OEM so they can handle all devices, regardless of point of sale.

Totally different relationships with very different implications for how Google is able to handle support.
There's still some benefits to buying direct. Google will replace Verizon pixels but it won't be an advance replacement. You'll be without a phone while everything is shipped

anon(10274434)

Jul 10, 2017
Visit site

With Google's Device Protection Plan, which you can only purchase if the phone is purchased through them.

Thanks - I guess I'll wait and see who offers what when the time comes - never had a phone issue with any of the phones I've had (knocking on wood)

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

If you buy from Google you get an advance replacement?
That's what they tell me. They will put a hold on your card and take it off when they get your old phone back. The only way for Verizon bought Pixels to get advanced replacement is through Verizon.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The main problem with buying from anyone other than Google is the warrantee support. I might save a buck or two buying it from Verizon or Best Buy but I know I'll regret penny-pinching if I ever need to get it repaired or replaced. I'll just buy it from Google and get their extra-protection plan. It's was way cheaper when I got my N6P than paying the monthly cost at AT&T (I'm on Verizon now) or the up-front cost at Best Buy.