Who's buying the Pixel mostly for the stock Android experience and fast updates?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure the next generation of Pixels will have decent hardware and many good reasons to buy it.
What I'm wondering is, does the fact that it offers a pure Android experience and fast updates make it the major motivator in your decision to buy it?

I'm thinking for some it's a little of everything but for many its the added bonus of having a phone that's built around the software and having fast updates with added security.

Last edited:

maxburn

May 19, 2011
Visit site
I like the premium handset with stockish OS (Pixel isn't AOSP) and fast security updates. Basically I think they are doing things right on the software side and want to reward that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Primary reason for me is that Google is the only oem on Android that's taking privacy and security seriously. That is definitely connected to updates as well, but there's more to it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Primary reason for me is that Google is the only oem on Android that's taking privacy and security seriously. That is definitely connected to updates as well, but there's more to it.

Understood... Fast updates are not just about getting things first.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
A little of everything. Definitely NOT because of stock Android, but maybe a little because of the updates. For me it's mostly the camera (and a bit of the updates).

I think you can get a pretty great (though not comparable) experience from most modern flagships at this point.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
1. Stock android
2. Camera (last years was nice and this should be an improvement)
3. Hardware (loved last years look despite the bezels and will most likely love this years)
4. Fast updates
5. Easy to root/flash

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I am -- or at least that is one of my reasons. I would like to try the new Android stuff as it comes out (such as Android O right now) but also the security updates are very welcome.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Gotta to love a company that says "Hey we value you as a customer". Giving Pixel XL to owners of the 6P who had issues with their phones after the OS update. I purchased my Pixel phone from Verizon because I did not want to have to wait for it to be shipped. I purchased my wife's 6P from Google and the handled the problem was amazing. So going forward, as long as I am on Android I will continue to buy the Pixels from the Google store.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Gotta to love a company that says "Hey we value you as a customer". Giving Pixel XL to owners of the 6P who had issues with their phones after the OS update. I purchased my Pixel phone from Verizon because I did not want to have to wait for it to be shipped. I purchased my wife's 6P from Google and the handled the problem was amazing. So going forward, as long as I am on Android I will continue to buy the Pixels from the Google store.

Yes... Very good move on their part.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Can't speak for the Pixel 2, but I'm still interested in the Pixel 2 XL for 2 reasons: it works on Project Fi; it'd be the best all-around replacement for my Nexus 6 (which includes the stock experience & speedy updates).

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
What I'm wondering is, does the fact that it offers a pure Android experience and fast updates the major motivator in your decision to buy it?

Maybe not pure Android, but definitely pure Google and a very clean, uncluttered experience. And the fast updates. That's why the Pixel / Nexus devices are all I will really consider. I'm actually eligible for upgrade now, so I've been spending time looking at hardware. I looked at the Galaxy S8 at a Verizon store the other day. I thought the software was disgusting to the point of ruining an otherwise nice phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Maybe not pure Android, but definitely pure Google and a very clean, uncluttered experience. And the fast updates. That's why the Pixel / Nexus devices are all I will really consider. I'm actually eligible for upgrade now, so I've been spending time looking at hardware. I looked at the Galaxy S8 at a Verizon store the other day. I thought the software was disgusting to the point of ruining an otherwise nice phone.
The hardware ruins it for me too. Edge display and glass back both major turn offs.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
The hardware ruins it for me too. Edge display and glass back both major turn offs.

I won't complain about the glass back because it seems that all of the flagships will have a glass back this year. The edge display looks nice, but I don't have any experience with it, so I don't know how it is to use in real world situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis