Google Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL Leaked Specs

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
E-Sim? I hope not, I switch phones frequently.
The article said "include" rather than "replace," so it's too soon to say that the regular SIM card slot is gone. Personally, I highly doubt it's going anywhere.

Besides, this article is still rumor and not official. ;)

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
What is an E-sim?

It's called an Embedded SIM. So it's SIM card thats attached to your processor or modem on the phone.

It's still a work in progress with Carriers around the world. It's got a thing called "Remote SIM Provisioning" which basically allows you to switch carriers like normal but without having to get a new SIM card each time 😃 There are a lot of positives, but again, still early days.

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
Hmmm... I'm not liking the sound of that E-sim unless that is in addition to the regular sim card you can use. I switch phones very frequently going between an iPhone and this Pixel XL. If an E-sim is all it has, it won't be worth the trouble.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Hmm. I'm calling BS. As legit as that may look, I am dubious.

And in NO WAY would I want buttons replaced by gestures. It seems like a terrible idea in so many ways to me. But again, I think this is mostly BS, or some "moon shot" deal that we may not hear of on 10/4. But then again, who knows ..

I think gesture controls (if done right) would be pretty sweet! I already have to tap and swipe to make the software buttons reappear on the v20. It'd be much nicer if a specific swipe would just take you home.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
t'd be much nicer if a specific swipe would just take you home.

IMO, it's "nicer" to hit hit the home button. What intuitive swipe would take a user "back" for example? Swipe to the left? then how would one move to the next home page or scroll in a document or any other number of interactions currently requiring swipes.

I'm not saying they can't make it happen in some way. I'm saying it would be just awful , confusing, more taxing, and mostly useless compared to what we have now.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
IMO, it's "nicer" to hit hit the home button. What intuitive swipe would take a user "back" for example? Swipe to the left? then how would one move to the next home page or scroll in a document or any other number of interactions currently requiring swipes.

I'm not saying they can't make it happen in some way. I'm saying it would be just awful , confusing, more taxing, and mostly useless compared to what we have now.
BB10 pulled off swipes and gestures brilliantly. I can still navigate a BB10 device more quickly than I can Android. But, that's just me. I like Android for what it is but it absolutely could benefit from additional gestures. Buttons aren't the only way to accomplish a task.

I'm open to anything, personally. Judging something without using it is impossible.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
BB10 pulled off swipes and gestures brilliantly. I can still navigate a BB10 device more quickly than I can Android. But, that's just me. I like Android for what it is but it absolutely could benefit from additional gestures. Buttons aren't the only way to accomplish a task.

I'm open to anything, personally. Judging something without using it is impossible.

Fair enough. If it ever comes to be, I guess we can revisit to see how much Android improved in day-to-day use by removing buttons...

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Fair enough. If it ever comes to be, I guess we can revisit to see how much Android improved in day-to-day use by removing buttons...
I removed the bottom nav buttons on my former Essential and it simply added a step in navigation. Had that been replaced with proper swipe gestures then I could totally see the buttons going away on a full-screen device. Whether or not someone finds that "better" is personal preference. I ended up restoring the buttons in most apps simply because Android in its current form has to have them for convenience. It was nice having Google Maps completely full-screen with only the little camera notch taking up any space.

What's funny to me is how Apple copied a few BB10/Palm/WebOS swipe navigation tricks that have been around for a decade or more, then sold them as "new" on the iPhone X. But, I guess anything is technically new if you've never used it before. lol

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I removed the bottom nav buttons on my former Essential and it simply added a step in navigation. Had that been replaced with proper swipe gestures then I could totally see the buttons going away on a full-screen device. Whether or not someone finds that "better" is personal preference. I ended up restoring the buttons in most apps simply because Android in its current form has to have them for convenience. It was nice having Google Maps completely full-screen with only the little camera notch taking up any space.

What's funny to me is how Apple copied a few BB10/Palm/WebOS swipe navigation tricks that have been around for a decade or more, then sold them as "new" on the iPhone X. But, I guess anything is technically new if you've never used it before. lol
If you like it, great. I need my phone to be functional, not pretty but less usable. I'm not worried about 1/4 inch of bottom screen space if the alternative is non-intuitive swipes. No thanks.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
If you like it, great. I need my phone to be functional, not pretty but less usable. I'm not worried about 1/4 inch of bottom screen space if the alternative is non-intuitive swipes. No thanks.
I'm not trying to sell you on anything here. I'm simply mentioning my experiences and opinion that I think buttons can be deleted if done right. Function can be retained if done right.

Just like automobiles, there will be plenty of phone options and designs to keep everyone happy — buttons included. Rest assured no one is taking your buttons away tomorrow. lol :D

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
@modifier Yup. Agreed. Since that dude's leak was mostly about the Pixel 2 XL anyway (likely) and not some 3rd phone, I'm not really putting any trust in any conclusions reached from it at the moment.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm not trying to sell you on anything here. I'm simply mentioning my experiences and opinion that I think buttons can be deleted if done right. Function can be retained if done right.

Just like automobiles, there will be plenty of phone options and designs to keep everyone happy — buttons included. Rest assured no one is taking your buttons away tomorrow. lol :D

You sound like you want to be a modifier

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
You sound like you want to be a modifier
I do enjoy modifying things. Perhaps someday I'll actually be good at it. :p

Looking forward to official official specs on the 2 XL to see if it's a bust or might actually be something I buy. The leaks just aren't enough yet.

Last edited:

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
My eyes lit up at the mention of the battery size of the 2XL. Ugh, I wish I could win one. That way, I can give my pristine 6P to my mom, who's using a pitiful, secondhand international variant S4 to watch movies and use Fb and Skype to talk to my sister and her family overseas.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I would be surprised if it would have OIS.

Don't get me wrong, while I don't think it's as big of a deal on a camera sensor that can already soak up a ton of light, it would be a nice addition.

I just feel that it's kinda odd as the last Pixels actually performed really well even without extra stabilization thanks to HDR+. And the Pixel is usually a showcase for Google software.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae