Verizon Visit Today Reveals Something....

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
So I swung by VZW for a new sim chip and a case for my Pixel XL to protect it until the trade in for the Ultra Pixel (if it exists) or the Pixel 2 XL 128GB. Doug. the guy that helped me out, told me they flew all of the VZW folks and product support from Richmond VA out to Google on the 26th. I am guessing this means that the Pixel will again be sold by Verizon Wireless....what do you think

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Pixel 1 was sold there, why wouldn't that happen for the 2nd iteration? Plus, the rumor mill has it that this time around the Pixel line will be sold by other carriers as well, including T-Mobile. We'll see. Only 5 days until it's formally announced.

tdizzel

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
What i think is
A) never listen to a Verizon rep, they don't know what they're talking about. They probably actually got flown out to Jersey
2) of course Verizon will 100% be selling the new Pixel. The question is, will any other carriers sell it.
d) what the hell is an Ultra Pixel? Did the whole HTC purchase get you thinking about their old cameras?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What i think is
A) never listen to a Verizon rep, they don't know what they're talking about. They probably actually got flown out to Jersey
2) of course Verizon will 100% be selling the new Pixel. The question is, will any other carriers sell it.
d) what the hell is an Ultra Pixel? Did the whole HTC purchase get you thinking about their old cameras?

Ultra Pixel is a rumor that came out yesterday.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Sold by VZ? Pretty much a certainty as it was, among the flagships, a very good seller for them.

Sold "exclusively" by VZ, that is the question.

While I'd love to see distribution from all the key players, a part of me hopes it's exclusive solely for the selfish reason that I suspect T-Mobile would repeat their 'bring your Pixel [2] to T-Mobile and we'll give you a $320 credit* (*over 24 months),' which would let me upgrade from the Pixel XL (using Google's Trade-In Program) to the Pixel 2 XL for an effective price of about $200 after taxes, getting a newer handset with double the storage and front-firing speakers.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Sold by VZ? Pretty much a certainty as it was, among the flagships, a very good seller for them.

Sold "exclusively" by VZ, that is the question.

While I'd love to see distribution from all the key players, a part of me hopes it's exclusive solely for the selfish reason that I suspect T-Mobile would repeat their 'bring your Pixel [2] to T-Mobile and we'll give you a $320 credit* (*over 24 months),' which would let me upgrade from the Pixel XL (using Google's Trade-In Program) to the Pixel 2 XL for an effective price of about $200 after taxes, getting a newer handset with double the storage and front-firing speakers.

I agree, T-mobile's deal was pretty sweet.

Unfortunately, I don't keep phones long enough to enjoy credits over 24 months. (I get it, because people would cut and run if the deal didn't go this way.)

Another year of exclusivity to Verizon probably won't kill Google, but refurbished (heavily discounted) Pixels and Pixel 2's need to be plentiful. Plentiful to the point that "sold out" isn't an issue a few months after launch.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree, T-mobile's deal was pretty sweet.

Unfortunately, I don't keep phones long enough to enjoy credits over 24 months. (I get it, because people would cut and run if the deal didn't go this way.)

Another year of exclusivity to Verizon probably won't kill Google, but refurbished (heavily discounted) Pixels and Pixel 2's need to be plentiful. Plentiful to the point that "sold out" isn't an issue a few months after launch.

That's what JUMP! OnDemand is for :)

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
In my opinion, you take a play out of the Apple playbook with exclusivity. But you wind up doing it better. How? If you manufacturer a great phone, you want it on the best network(s) possible. Last thing you want is for customers to say your phone sucks at being a phone when the carrier in question is the issue. This will also allow Google to ensure their phones work flawlessly on the Verizon network. Remember the debacle with tons of iPhone users on AT&Ts crappy network?

I used to be on Sprint. After switching to Verizon it's like rainbows, unicorns (not aniemojis), and lollipops. Just night and day difference between the networks, especially when you travel.

Last edited:

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree but travel is one thing and phones another. He said that LG was making the smaller Pixel and HTC the larger phone. Way to be informed....

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
What rumors point to multiple carriers? I thought everyone has been saying Verizon exclusivity again.

I haven't no noticed anything, however carrier exclusives are stupid except for the carrier who gets first crack at it. If they want to sell more phones they have to sell them everywhere and they need to stop limiting colors or options by carrier or market area. What all really want is sometimes available somewhere else and even if we get our hands on it, compatibility is usually an issue.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
You don't know anything about marketing. If it's exclusive to Verizon, maybe Google doesn't care about profits for all we know. After all, Google has made it's billions off ads. Google wants to build it's phone brand by developing a sound base of customers.

As a company, you want to control the customers experience with your product. You don't want to put a great phone on a crappy network like Sprint where you might experience horrible battery life, throttled 4G, or spotty connectivity. Totally goes against Google touting great battery life when the Sprint network actually kills your battery. First thing a customer will blame is the phone, not the carrier. Some people aren't that phone savvy, hence the iPhone.

If you want to be successful as a company, you have to control the experience of your customers. For example, I can rent a movie from the Play Store. Google will give me a refund for the rental if I decide to buy the actual movie through them. People are shocked when I tell them I've done this repeatedly. I can't get my money back after watching a rental through Amazon or the Apple app store so I can actually buy the movie. My customer experience with Google is solidified.

I was pissed when I couldn't get the HTC M8 on Sprint in silver. Silver was exclusive to Verizon. Definitely considered switching carriers and some people will switch to get what they want. It's a good tactic.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
As a company, you want to control the customers experience with your product.

That is the opposite of what Android was founded on actually. The ability of users (and unfortunately Carriers) to customize the experience is a big part of the attraction of Android phones

You don't want to put a great phone on a crappy network like Sprint where you might experience horrible battery life, throttled 4G, or spotty connectivity.

If that were true, Sprint would have no phones at all. Companies are in business to make money. Some , like Google, have other motivations too, but they all answer to shareholders.

Bottom line is they probably cut a deal with VZW that worked out well last year, so they agreed to try it again. It's not better for anyone, except VZ customers ..

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
That is the opposite of what Android was founded on actually. The ability of users (and unfortunately Carriers) to customize the experience is a big part of the attraction of Android phones

If that were true, Sprint would have no phones at all. Companies are in business to make money. Some , like Google, have other motivations too, but they all answer to shareholders.

Bottom line is they probably cut a deal with VZW that worked out well last year, so they agreed to try it again. It's not better for anyone, except VZ customers ..
What are you talking about? Nobody is talking about controlling the apps or oreo on the phone itself. We are talking about using a hand selected carrier. Show me in writing where Google said they would never use a exclusive carrier.

Sprint was on the verge of bankruptcy until a Japanese billionaire under Soft Bank purchased Sprint. Sprint has hemorrhaged customers and which is why they slid from 3rd to 4th for carriers years ago. The only reason they still have any customers is because they are one of the cheapest carriers with unlimited data. Their network is horrible, even after receiving upgrades.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
What are you talking about? Nobody is talking about controlling the apps or oreo on the phone itself. We are talking about using a hand selected carrier. ....

That is controlling the experience. By not allowing customers to use a phone they love on the carrier of their choice, that is controlling the experience. Use whatever words you want, exclusives are almost universally terrible for everyone involved except that one carrier. It limits choices for customers, and it limits sales for the OEMs, and it makes the public mad most of the time, to boot ..

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What i think is

What happened to b and c, and 1 and 3???? Isn't that from Home Alone?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781