Glad unlimited photos is around still

GTvert90

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
2Free, unlimited original-quality storage for photos and videos taken with Pixel through the end of 2020, and free, unlimited high-quality storage for photos taken with Pixel afterwards. That's the fine print. So do all photos drop down to high quality after 2020 or just any new pictures taken with the Pixel in 2021?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Was that fine print there with the 2016 models? I don't recall seeing end-date or change of storage quality at the time, and am pretty sure I still have an email from a Google Rep saying it was lifetime full resolution storage...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Was that fine print there with the 2016 models? I don't recall seeing end-date or change of storage quality at the time, and am pretty sure I still have an email from a Google Rep saying it was lifetime full resolution storage...

I don't believe so. It now says till 2020.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Any idea how this works if you already have a Drive account with a 30GB limit? Will photo uploads simply not count against it?

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Any idea how this works if you already have a Drive account with a 30GB limit? Will photo uploads simply not count against it?
Just the photos and videos that you take from Pixel and gets uploaded in original quality via auto upload feature from Google photos app on the Pixel don't count against the quota.

Other phones also same from Google photos but they get uploaded in high quality which is little compressed but from Pixel phones they get uploaded with original quality for free.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Just the photos and videos that you take from Pixel and gets uploaded in original quality via auto upload feature from Google photos app on the Pixel don't count against the quota.
Thanks, that makes me feel better about going 64GB. I don't need all of my photos stored locally and will use Google Photos more often knowing the high-res versions won't count against my Drive quota.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I want to see more real-life photos. Lots of them I have seen so far look awfully bland.. I wouldn't base anything on DxO scores. I want more actual photos from normal users, or at least from tech blogs ...

Sep 22, 2017
Visit site
I want to see more real-life photos. Lots of them I have seen so far look awfully bland.. I wouldn't base anything on DxO scores. I want more actual photos from normal users, or at least from tech blogs ...

Watch YouTube. Reviewers are already gushing about the camera. I haven't seen anything bad yet.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Watch YouTube. Reviewers are already gushing about the camera. I haven't seen anything bad yet.

I have. It's early. I'll wait a bit more to see real comparisons. So far the colors seem bland IMO. I am confident that it will be a great camera though in the end. My Pixel camera is great for the most part now, so I am confident that if there are any tweaks to be made, Google will make them.

Sedp23

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
Just wanted to say that :p. I am glad it is around from the previous Pixel.
Is it better than OneDrive? Thinking of. Switching to Google Photos or just using both. Am I able to move everything in my OneDrive over to Google Photos since everything is unlimited there?

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Is it better than OneDrive? Thinking of. Switching to Google Photos or just using both. Am I able to move everything in my OneDrive over to Google Photos since everything is unlimited there?
The unlimited original quality is only for photos taken with the Pixel. I don't have a Pixel yet, but I use both OneDrive and Google Photos. OneDrive keeps all my stuff backed up to my computer as well whereas Google photos is just in the cloud. I like having both.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There is nothing better on the market than Google photos. App is simple and great, unlimited high quality uploads from any device and then there auto awesome stuff which creates movies, albuma, gifs and million other things in the background. Search is super fast and accurate within the photos app, loads photos fast.
No one is close to what Google photos offers and how fun it is. Sharing features are great, automatically recognizes faces and automatically shares to your selected people if you want.

And yes you can download everything from one drive and upload to Google photos.

Personally, Google photos is my main photo library, one drive and prime photos are backup. I auto upload to all three services, but use Google photos primarily. One drive honestly feels so dated in managing photos, looks like they need to revamp that soon.

Sedp23

Apr 26, 2015
Visit site
There is nothing better on the market than Google photos. App is simple and great, unlimited high quality uploads from any device and then there auto awesome stuff which creates movies, albuma, gifs and million other things in the background. Search is super fast and accurate within the photos app, loads photos fast.
No one is close to what Google photos offers and how fun it is. Sharing features are great, automatically recognizes faces and automatically shares to your selected people if you want.

And yes you can download everything from one drive and upload to Google photos.

Personally, Google photos is my main photo library, one drive and prime photos are backup. I auto upload to all three services, but use Google photos primarily. One drive honestly feels so dated in managing photos, looks like they need to revamp that soon.
Isn't there some kind of limit as to what's getting backed up tho? Only a certain size of the photos are unlimited?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret