Anyone else wish the Pixel 2 was more like the Nexus 5?

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
I feel conflicted. I do wish there were more manufacturers that still used premium feeling Plastic (I think of the Nokia 6) and therefore would make the prices cheaper. But I'm glad that manufacturers embrace truly premium materials too, especially like Aluminum and Metal. I felt HTC paved the way for many Android Manufacturers to use more Premium materials and it's been very positive.

Dec 9, 2016
Visit site
I'm mostly in agreement. I don't really miss Plastic phones much, too cheap feeling. I'm glad that Manufacturers embraced Premium materials and that's even a standard on Midrange phones and some budget phones.

eugarps

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
I could never quite see to point of a mobile device made of glass. I just think it's rather foolish to pack around a $700.00 plus piece of glass in my pocket. Folks have to cover all of the "beauty" beauty of their purchase with some nondescript armored case. I'll be getting an XZ1 Compact, plastic and all. It fits in my pocket.

It's kind of like the bride on her wedding night, the joys of a beautiful, naked phone are reserved for the groom, er elitist buyer; who just has to have bezel-less, bright, shiny things. JMO, YMMV

Best,

Bill

Last edited:

Ukyo

Oct 13, 2009
Visit site
Generally in engineering plastic is functional, not particularly stylish or high end. Whether it's headphones, cars, phones, or anything else, plastic is a very pedestrian (albeit necessary) material choice and no one really wants it on a $650+ phone

Probably won't need to sell it for that high of a price then huh? Lol

dmxjago

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
I got my old red Nexus 5 out of the cupboard and it really is the perfect form factor for a small phone. The screen is the same size as the Pixel 2 but the bezels are smaller and the polycarbonate/plastic body means you never had to cosset it or put it in a case. I've ordered the Pixel 2 but so wish Google had released an updated Nexus 5. A little beauty.

View attachment 270717

Not really, I do love the Nexus 5, but like the new pixel look better. I do wish they made another line of phones in the price range of the nexus 5 and with the nexus 5 look. That way Google would have nice set of devices for everyone.

Brock25

Sep 13, 2017
Visit site
I much prefer plastic phones over glass, in my opinion they are more durable. Metal phones are pretty good as well, really no complaints there. Think about it for a moment, most people buys this high end phone that’s metal or glass and what do they do next? They buy a plastic case to put on the phone and protect it.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I like Glass and I like Plastic.

The Nexus 4 (glass back) was probably my favorite phone ever. The Nexus 5 (plastic back) was probably my second favorite.

kupfernigk

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Regardless, plastic is less premium than typical materials used in construction of phones.

What does "premium" mean? It seems to be just a marketing term meaning "we can charge you extra for this stuff even though it isn't as good as its job."

Yet people regard carbon fiber and aramid laminates in vehicles as superior materials - which they are - despite their being plastics exactly the same as the glass filled polycarbonate used for phone bodies.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I understand what you're saying, OP. I definitely miss my Nexus 5, so I wouldn't mind seeing a similar form factor for the Pixel. However, I do enjoy the hardware layout of the Pixel 2 series.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Silly thing is that so many people slap their premium material phones in TPU case for protection and/or added grip. I got a good deal on a first gen XL and the first thing I did was put it in a Spigen soft touch TPU case that shrouds the entire body.

I had a Nexus 5... The chassis was extremely durable and took some spills that would have beat a glass or metal chassis up... And barely showed a scratch. One split the shell a bit and all I had to do was snap it back.

But I'm a function over form person.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say the peak... The battery was about 700mah too small, the camera was a challenge to get a reliable shot and the speaker sucked. Ran like a dream though.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't say the peak... The battery was about 700mah too small, the camera was a challenge to get a reliable shot and the speaker sucked. Ran like a dream though.

Looking back, my speaker wasn't super great; and the battery was the first thing to go... But man, I loved that phone. Was pretty sad when the Nexus 6P was the last of that device line.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Looking back, my speaker wasn't super great; and the battery was the first thing to go... But man, I loved that phone. Was pretty sad when the Nexus 6P was the last of that device line.

You know... I am not terribly saddened by it. I don't see it as the Nexus line being dead... I see it as simply that it evolved into the Pixel line. Nexus was always about software... and Google hasn't moved away from that path one bit. They are just taking more control of the bits of phone that run that software. But when it is all said and done, Nexus vs Pixel, to my eyes, is a branding exercise.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh... that came out wrong... yeah.. the Nexus 5 was a joy to own. I just remember using it for the first time being amazed at just how fluid everything was.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Oh... that came out wrong... yeah.. the Nexus 5 was a joy to own. I just remember using it for the first time being amazed at just how fluid everything was.

I totally understood what you meant! I guess my sadness also came from the fact that I wasn't too impressed with the Pixels last year (they were great phones, don't get me wrong - they just weren't for me); but I'm more interested in the 3 line this time around.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
You know, I've had an XL for a few days now, and it takes everything about my beloved 6P and made it better. Camera, display, performance, battery usage, etc. Software wise, the two are extremely similar to the point where the uninitiated wouldn't be able to tell the difference... Until you use it. It's a hell of a phone.

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I prefer plastic with a grippy finish. It is light, resilient, allows wireless charging, and does not interfere with radios. Of course, IP 67/68 would be difficult to achieve, but that is not a priority for me.

btx1

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
My wife had my old 5X and I replaced it with a Pixel XL which I've had for 12 months now but, having handled the 5X again today, I do wish I could have a Google phone that size with better battery life. Ordered a Pixel 2 but changed my mind and replaced it with a Pixel 2 XL order as I've lived with the XL for a year. Bigger battery wins.

I bought a Nexus 6, a Nexus 6P, and sold the 6P, and bought a Pixel XL. 6P had issues, but the Nexus 6 to me is still screenwise, battery wise, almost equal to the pixel XL. I cannot see going to the 2 series. I have wireless charging on the Nexus 6, and it is a great phone, as I put it on my Motorcycle mount and ride all over the USA with it. Never failed, but they will not let me do 8.0 ota. The newer phones show me specs that I will not use. Who needs 5-6gb on a phone? It also has front firing speakers that my pixel XL doesn't have. I still feel that the camera on the Nexus 6 takes a better image.
Hold onto your bucks until we get something worth paying for. Apple doesn't have anything worth jumping for either.