Changed odrer from Verizon sim to unlocked - saved a month!

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I suppose this could go under the pre-order thread, but I really think it deserves it own post...

On Oct 4, 2 hours after the event, I placed an order for a Black 64gb, Verizon SIM, with original Pixel trade. - shipping date Nov 20th.

I just now, Oct 9th pm, went in and placed an order for the same phone black 64, however UNLOCKED, and the shipping date is OCT 17. WHAT????

Cancelled the original order.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Nice. I get my Verizon one on the 26th. I think I'll just keep it. Not too far out for me :).

Tom Downey

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up! I just did the exact same thing and changed my Verizon ready Pixel (ordered it on the 4th) to unlocked and now the phone will be here 3 weeks sooner.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up! I just did the exact same thing and changed my Verizon ready Pixel (ordered it on the 4th) to unlocked and now the phone will be here 3 weeks sooner.

Glad it helped, that's why I didn't want it hidden on the pre-order thread

I'm just hoping there's not a screw up that puts it behind the ship date on my original order :)

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
On Oct 4, 2 hours after the event, I placed an order for a Black 64gb, Verizon SIM, with original Pixel trade. - shipping date Nov 20th.

I just now, Oct 9th pm, went in and placed an order for the same phone black 64, however UNLOCKED, and the shipping date is OCT 17. WHAT????

Cancelled the original order.

I would hope that means that those of us that ordered before this evening and have delivery dates of 2-3 weeks or more will get their phones earlier than they expect. Only reasonable to think that if they had stock available it would go out first-come-first-served.

That, or it was a glitch on the site maybe?

I just looked, and the identical model shows 2-3 weeks shipping......

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Probably a supply issue, same phone, but I imagine the ones for Verizon are kept separate based on device ID.

Make me wonder if it's quicker to get from Verizon or a Verizon one from Google.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why anyone would even order a locked Verizon version when a unlocked version is available...

If you're on Verizon, and are not going to need an unlocked bootloader then there is zero difference, so why wouldn't you? Shipping is usually faster too

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Simple, I didn't know better. I just figured I'm on Verizon, so why not. Now I know better

Strange that Google even gives the option. Probably a compromise between google and Verizon. "Ok, we'll offer a locked version and not make it clear Verizon will work with unlucked version. "

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Strange that Google even gives the option. Probably a compromise between google and Verizon. "Ok, we'll offer a locked version and not make it clear Verizon will work with unlucked version. "

Kind of .. The Verizon version is unlocked as well. All the latest Verizon LTE phones come unlocked out of the gate.

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Kind of .. The Verizon version is unlocked as well. All the latest Verizon LTE phones come unlocked out of the gate.
Basically both the "unlocked" and Verizon version are not sim locked but the Verizon version won't have an unlockable bootloader as the unlocked version will.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Basically both the "unlocked" and Verizon version are not sim locked but the Verizon version won't have an unlockable bootloader as the unlocked version will.

Yep. Just bootloader for people that want to root and things. If they don't then pretty much they're the same.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm about to do the opposite. Switching my unlocked Panda to the Verizon one. One less thing on my credit and I'll order through Verizon. Will get it a few weeks earlier too

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Probably a supply issue, same phone, but I imagine the ones for Verizon are kept separate based on device ID.

Make me wonder if it's quicker to get from Verizon or a Verizon one from Google.

I ordered from Verizon like I have in the past and most often my phone comes a day or two earlier from the expected delivery date which this time is the 25th. I'm hoping mine will be delivered on the 23rd.

Hyperspace13

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Simple, I didn't know better. I just figured I'm on Verizon, so why not. Now I know better

Same here, I didn't know any better. I figured Verizon would treat the Unlocked Pixel like they do all other Unlocked phones where you can't use any Verizon apps or WIFI calling. I just changed my order to Unlocked and I'm getting it 2 weeks sooner than the Verizon version.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Same here, I didn't know any better. I figured Verizon would treat the Unlocked Pixel like they do all other Unlocked phones where you can't use any Verizon apps or WIFI calling. I just changed my order to Unlocked and I'm getting it 2 weeks sooner than the Verizon version.

So the unlocked version on Verizon should still have WiFi calling? And obviously Advanced calling so we can use the internet at the same time on the phone?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1