Is the iPhone 8 really that much better and cheaper than the Pixel XL 2 ?

enderhexfyre

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
Lower price, more features says this article Google's Pixel 2 XL priced higher than Apple's iPhone 8 Plus but is half as fast, lacks many key features

I have never owned an Apple phone so can't comment, but the article seems to make some good points.
benchmarks on phones rarely translate into real world performance differences. Also 50.00 is nothing if your already spending 800.00. The hardware is so far ahead of software currently that both devices are awesome so buy what you like :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL had better camera, software, design, security, USB connectivity. 8+ has likely better display, definitely better SOC and a 256 GB storage option. Really depends on which features are most important to you.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This is nitpicking. And Android isn't 3 to 4 times slower in opening apps. App obstacle course test by Phone buff already shown that Android can go toe to toe with the iPhone 8, with OnePlus5 and Note 8 already beating its time. Although of course both those phones have much more RAM than the iPhone.

mattdamiz85

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I currently use both platforms. (iPhone 8 plus for work & Note 8/LG G6 for personal) I've got to say this day and age you can do nearly anything you want with both. Albeit some require more steps or less, I'm pleased with both especially with cloud based apps and services that allow universal sync. Of course some devices may have a niche, like the Note 8 having the s-pen, tough to replace that if you use it on the daily. But I don't.

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 2 XL had better camera, software, design, security, USB connectivity. 8+ has likely better display, definitely better SOC and a 256 GB storage option. Really depends on which features are most important to you.
Better software is purely subjective, as is better design. In fact, for software you could even argue that objectively, the OS and most apps are actually built better for Apple devices than any Android device. This is even with Apple slacking off on quality of their UI/UX as of lately. Camera is also unproven, and the author of this piece, despite it very much reading like a rant in moments, is correct that DxO scores are not exactly that reliable or telling. Plus, photography is inherently about being able to capture the right emotion, the right feeling, so there's that. Security is also something that I would disagree with. While Google is now on monthly patches, Apple has always ensured any security threats are dealt with quickly. They continue to do so. Plus, Android is inherently much less secure because of its design.
That article is the most biased pieces I have seen in awhile.
There is a fair amount of bias for sure. If you look past that though he does have some very valuable points. It is hard though to look past some of the very blatant bias and rant.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Benchmarks, camera gizmos, none of that matters really if the phone will do what you need it to do. Things that still leave me gobsmacked about Apple and refusing to even consider buying an iPhone are that they don't permit widgets (no, what they call widgets aren't really widgets) or allow you to place apps where you want them of the screen.

Their music store, I think, still won't allow you to download mp3s directly to your device(s) of choice.

Other than that I've always preferred Apple's direct updating...until I got my Nexus 6P and realized that Google's got that covered now so...eh...no reason's at all to even look at the iPhone.

My wife though is firmly Apple and resistant to technological change...which makes it so that my opinions on the subject are based on real-world experience. Eight years she's had an iPhone and, to me, it still looks and acts just her old 3S only a little bigger and slightly faster.

iUsers = Trendy Dinosaurs (apologies in advance to any Apple users on here).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Better software is purely subjective, as is better design. In fact, for software you could even argue that objectively, the OS and most apps are actually built better for Apple devices than any Android device. This is even with Apple slacking off on quality of their UI/UX as of lately. Camera is also unproven, and the author of this piece, despite it very much reading like a rant in moments, is correct that DxO scores are not exactly that reliable or telling. Plus, photography is inherently about being able to capture the right emotion, the right feeling, so there's that. Security is also something that I would disagree with. While Google is now on monthly patches, Apple has always ensured any security threats are dealt with quickly. They continue to do so. Plus, Android is inherently much less secure because of its design.
There is a fair amount of bias for sure. If you look past that though he does have some very valuable points. It is hard though to look past some of the very blatant bias and rant.
Cool with agreeing to disagree here.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All you gotta do is look at his twitter pic to know he is an isheep!! crapple can do no wrong in his eyes!! lol

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

There's no argument I've yet for iOS being objectively better software than Android. Would be interested in that one. Optimization, yes.

Security, and privacy, Google's Android is ahead of iOS. Android as a whole, due to other OEMs, is worse but any Android phone that's on the latest major version, Incorporates all of Googles available security features and is on the latest security patch has an edge over iOS. Unfortunately that's only Pixels at this point, Nexus 6P doesn't have all I'd the Pixels features. Current order is Pixels > iOS > Nexus 6P > BlackBerry > Nokia > everyone else. For privacy, Google is the only phone maker with an acceptable policy in both print and practice. Apple's is fine in practice, but they technically give themselves too much permission, even if they don't use it in practice.

Photography, I agree there is quality of the equipment and there's ease of use to get a good shot. I suck at photography and both the 7+ and 2 XL make me look somewhat good at it, so they're both great imo. That said, objectively the 2 XL is apparently working with both better hardware and software on the camera front, over both last year and this year's iPhones. TBD on the iPhone X, that could throw a wrench in things.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have never owned an Apple phone so can't comment, but the article seems to make some good points.
This article is found at AppleInsider. I'm therefore sure there isn't a bias.

Extract:
"In this bizarro world of starry-eyed Google-fandom, it appears that nobody cares about snappy performance, premium phone prices, inadequate hardware specs or having a phone that looks like a cheaper copy of last year's iPhone."

Couldn't find any speed ratings on the Pixel 2, but hey, go ahead and denigrate the phone....

It then states that part of the slow performance is because the Pixel drives almost twice as many pixels on its screen. Meanwhile, there hasn't been a review of the screen to determine how well it holds up, though the pictures that have been released show its excellent in that regard.

But to the point

The choice isn't about cost v performance perse. The key is the interface Apple v Android OS.

I've used both. Took me 4 days to return my first iPhone, and I've outlined some of the reasons.

I'm thoughtful about it. What iPhone does right? I love the smooth scrolling. Android, even the "buttery" Pixel, isn't as elegant. The integration with my Mac re media particularly, also the iTunes backup where I can play with my organization on a big screen with a mouse and rebuild my phone in a couple of clicks.

The constraints of iOS are myriad and exasperate me much more, though:

• No app drawer. Apps spread over numerous screens, and even getting them alphabetized will take hours
  • No direct dial or contact widgets. To simply call/text someone I have to either ask Siri (not great reviews), or open an app and search.
  • Favorite contacts. Not sure of iOS 11, but last I looked, there was only one favorites list, and you have to open contacts to find it. Android lets me make as many folders that contain grouped contacts as I want, AND put them on my homescreen
  • Archaic organization of home screens. Left to right, top to bottom. Android lets me leave open spaces. I can easily see each app without the infuriating clutter. And choose my launcher, enabling me to go beyond what an Android OS has decided is the way I'm supposed to interact
  • I can alter the look of my folders and add photo frames to any screen I want. iOS lets me put a photo as my background. Period
  • These are functional differences ie, they impact on how I interact with my device. Who cares if iOS is "faster" once in an app when I can LOCATE the freakin' things in half the time.

I'm certain others can add to this list. The point is that benchmarks and even price are one thing. How I interact with my phone in my everyday life is infinitely more important. My brain requires that I organize the phone my way. iOS decides for you.

I cannot put a price on that, whether in $$$ of in how I spend my time "waiting" for apps to open.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Not that I've owned either, but if I had to choose, I'd still go for the Pixel. Stock Android, attractive hardware, and excellent fast charging.

enderhexfyre

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
There's no argument I've yet for iOS being objectively better software than Android. Would be interested in that one. Optimization, yes.

Security, and privacy, Google's Android is ahead of iOS. Android as a whole, due to other OEMs, is worse but any Android phone that's on the latest major version, Incorporates all of Googles available security features and is on the latest security patch has an edge over iOS. Unfortunately that's only Pixels at this point, Nexus 6P doesn't have all I'd the Pixels features. Current order is Pixels > iOS > Nexus 6P > BlackBerry > Nokia > everyone else. For privacy, Google is the only phone maker with an acceptable policy in both print and practice. Apple's is fine in practice, but they technically give themselves too much permission, even if they don't use it in practice.

Photography, I agree there is quality of the equipment and there's ease of use to get a good shot. I suck at photography and both the 7+ and 2 XL make me look somewhat good at it, so they're both great imo. That said, objectively the 2 XL is apparently working with both better hardware and software on the camera front, over both last year and this year's iPhones. TBD on the iPhone X, that could throw a wrench in things.
smooth scrolling is a beta option you have to enable in chrome. As is chrome home which make it much more user friendly.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante