Is the iPhone 8 really that much better and cheaper than the Pixel XL 2 ?

Jerome86

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Both are good. You will find ios is more secure. But curious about the Pixel xl 2. Most all these flagships have cameras that will get the job done. It really comes down to the software. Ios is losing its way with buggy updates. I wish they let you have a more custom home screen. Hate when you relocate apps you move every thing around like a Rubics cube.

bigjunior45

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
As an iPhone user right now until my Pixel shows up, the new iPhone isn't worth the upgrade from the iPhone 7 or even the iPhone 6s. Apple doesn't even provide the fast charger in the box, you have to spend $80 on one, that's when I decided to say screw Apple and look else where.

Also the camera on the iPhone 8 isn't any different compared to the iPhone 7. They look identical in YouTube camera reviews.....sad.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Apple is an embarrassment. Keeping the same icon design since 2013? And the same phone design since 2014?

And the icons are huge. You can barely make out your wallpaper.

People actually lap this up 😂

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I stopped reading after the first paragraph.
"Perhaps even more remarkably, the latest "Phone by Google" lacks support for SD Cards and removable batteries and lacks the extra RAM and processing power needed to run Android, as well lacking the legacy headphone jack that Google itself promoted as valuable and necessary just last year. It also features proprietary dongles that cost significantly more than Apple's, and doesn't even bundle in a pair of headphones. "

The reason being is that Apple is just as guilty of most of the points listed as Google is.

Apple has no SD card, no headphone jack, proprietary dongles, etc.

I personally think that both devices are just fine. One doesn't blow the other out of the water. Each has their own pros and cons to owning one or the other.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
What "proprietary dongles" are you referring to? USB-C is not proprietary while Apple's connector (whatever they call it) is.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What "proprietary dongles" are you referring to? USB-C is not proprietary while Apple's connector (whatever they call it) is.
That was another reason I stopped reading. The part about Google having proprietary dongles is from the article.

pappy35

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow! I got this confused with another article. This one is HORRIBLE and filled with outright lies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Reminder - Political talk is allowed on the forums within its specific section. Outside of that area please refrain from talking about it.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow! I got this confused with another article. This one is HORRIBLE and filled with outright lies.
See what I meant by I couldn't get past the first paragraph? Lol.

I think I remember seeing a security misconseption in there somewhere. I can see that being said. Android does have a bad rap for being weak in the security arena, even though it is a night and day difference between now and older versions. But this article can almost be read like a dogma of sorts.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Someone else posted that article yesterday and I tried reading it, but couldn't stomach the BS. To the OP, it may be a ok article, but looking at the source should clearly show the bias.

Anyone else remember when Apple said they would never make a bigger phone because people don't want bigger phones? Apparently, Android isn't the only one to change their minds, but they get slammed for it when they do.

As far as iPhones, I will never own one. Apple treats it's customers as morons and incapable of making decisions so they do everything for you. As others have said, there is no way to personalize the phone because they don't think you can improve on their design and don't trust you to make any decisions. And their mandatory iOS updates kill phones. Not sure I believe that it's intentional to make you buy a new phone, but it could be. My wife has had an iPhone for the past several years and has nothing but problems.

Plus, if u ask me, Apple needs to join team USA and not support terrorism. You can't convince me they don't have a back door that can be exploited after a terrorists action. They just put their image and hopeful profits, ahead of justice. (Not intended to start a political debate or take as a political statement)

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if im watching more TV or just noticing it more, but DAMN there sure is a lot of crapple phone commercials!!!! lol

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Plus, if u ask me, Apple needs to join team USA and not support terrorism. You can't convince me they don't have a back door that can be exploited after a terrorists action. They just put their image and hopeful profits, ahead of justice. (Not intended to start a political debate or take as a political statement)

Apple securing their phones and not turning over encrypted backdoor to NSA is a GOOD thing for all of us. Our security and privacy are more important than perceived terrorism.

And yes, what you wrote was entirely political.

firebirder

Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Who said NSA? Apple has a way into that phone, guaranteed, no doubt in my mind. And allowing them access to one or two (don't remember now) phones used by terrorists to shoot and kill civilians at a party would be the right thing to do. Period.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
IMO Apple, Google, et al do exactly the right thing when they don't build in a back door to their own encryption. That said, can't figure out what that has to do with whether or not one is better than the other given that they both protect consumers the same way.