How does 'squeeze your pixel2' to launch the assistant actually work?

Ichwardort

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I was looking around the web to get a little more insight into this briefly introduced feature of the pixel2. It seems HTC actually started this idea in the U11 some years ago.
So is the Pixel2 really using a squeezable frame to register interaction or do they rely on touching the edges of the display to register a 'squeeze'?

jasonaward

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was looking around the web to get a little more insight into this briefly introduced feature of the pixel2. It seems HTC actually started this idea in the U11 some years ago.
So is the Pixel2 really using a squeezable frame to register interaction or do they rely on touching the edges of the display to register a 'squeeze'?

It works with cases on it, so I think it's pretty safe to assume that it's using pressure sensors.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
It seems HTC actually started this idea in the U11 some years ago. So is the Pixel2 really using a squeezable frame to register interaction or do they rely on touching the edges of the display to register a 'squeeze'?

The HTC U11 was released in June of 2017.

And yes, it is a squeezable physical frame that you set up on the phone to distinguish between holding the phone and an intended squeeze.

pstellato73

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I played with one in the Verizon store near me. It's not touch enabled. You have to give it a slight squeeze, but it's not what you might think. It's kind of like a big button and triggers the Google assistant. So it should work well with a case on it and it's actually a pretty good implementation. I was skeptical at first myself. The sides are not soft or anything. I was expecting like a soft rubbery area. It's not like that. It provides a vibration feedback as well. But you have to squeeze it for it to go off. It won't just start Google assistant by touching both sides.

Dutch R

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I have a U11, soon to have a Pixel 2 XL. The squeeze function on the U11 works well - it took me a few days to make it a habit. On the U11, the feature is customizable to launch compatible apps/functions. I had it set for Google assistant on a short squeeze and flashlight on a long squeeze.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have a U11, soon to have a Pixel 2 XL. The squeeze function on the U11 works well - it took me a few days to make it a habit. On the U11, the feature is customizable to launch compatible apps/functions. I had it set for Google assistant on a short squeeze and flashlight on a long squeeze.

Hopefully Google opens up that squeeze functionality, I miss the 2 chop motion I had to open the camera I had on my Moto devices, a long squeeze would be even better.

Pixelfan56

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
am i the only one that would like the squeeze to activate the flashlight? when i need a flashlight, usually i need it quickly and i hate having to unlock the phone, scroll down from the top and pick flashlight

Slow_S10

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully Google opens up that squeeze functionality, I miss the 2 chop motion I had to open the camera I had on my Moto devices, a long squeeze would be even better.

Just double tap the power button with the screen on or off to immediately launch the camera. And the volume button works as a shutter.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of surprised Google did this after Samsung got a ton of crap from their customers for dedicating a hardware feature to its assistant. Hopefully Google will see the error of their ways and allow us to map the squeeze feature to whatever we like.

Large Hadron

Mar 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm kind of surprised Google did this after Samsung got a ton of crap from their customers for dedicating a hardware feature to its assistant.
Well it's not as easy to accidentally activate as the Bixby button, and you can turn it off (which Samsung resisted for several months).
Hopefully Google will see the error of their ways and allow us to map the squeeze feature to whatever we like.
Indeed. I'm sure the dev community will if they don't ;)

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

HTC did indeed introduce this feature, but it was just a few months ago on the HTC U11.

The feature works identically on the new Pixel 2 and 2 XL in terms of squeezing. You can adjust how much pressure it takes to launch, and it works in a case as well. All it does is open up Google Assistant, or silence an incoming call if you squeeze while it's ringing.

Unlike the U11, it isn't configurable. The U11 was only slightly configurable out of the box, and a later software update added much more functionality and options. I could easily see Google doing the same with Android 8.1.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
am i the only one that would like the squeeze to activate the flashlight? when i need a flashlight, usually i need it quickly and i hate having to unlock the phone, scroll down from the top and pick flashlight

Squeeze the frame, tell google assistant to turn on the flash light. Works like a charm.

hal1

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site

It was 2 chop for the flashlight, twist for the camera - but i know what you meant; Dang those Motos/Turbos were great.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Just double tap the power button with the screen on or off to immediately launch the camera. And the volume button works as a shutter.

Sorry, I messed up, that should've been two chops for the flashlight. On that same phone, two twists of your wrist opened the camera.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It was 2 chop for the flashlight, twist for the camera - but i know what you meant; Dang those Motos/Turbos were great.

Yeah I caught that after reading slow_s10's reply. I agree, a lot of things that are just coming out on other phones were on those Motorola phones 4 years ago. IMHO, Moto Voice was superior to assistant in that you could set your own hot phrase, Moto Display (especially on the Droid Turbo with the IR sensors) was superior to Always on Display, and Moto Assist was just plain excellent, and their gesture actions were ahead of their time. It's almost as if Google was using Motorola as their experimental division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol