Go to a Verizon store? Post your thoughts here!

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I generally like to give the benefit of the doubt in most cases. Nothing is perfect, and we live in a world/society where we nitpick at the tiniest things because we demand near perfection from consumer products. However, I do agree that the blue tint could be an issue for some people. It definitely has me on the fence. For a second time, I went to Verizon today to play with the new Pixel phones and the XL 2 blue tint was bothersome. Some others may not care or notice and that is fine. Very curious to hear what the official reviewers say.

All that said, I still have not cancelled or changed my Pixel XL 2 order. I have an HTC U11 that is pretty darn good that I have few gripes about, but I am enticed by pure stock (with Nova launcher), enhanced camera, and Google Fi. My U11 is handicapped by ATT's inability to play nice with unlocked phones (visual voicemail, LTE while on a call, wi-fi calling, etc.) and I want to support Google as much as possible.

I completely agree with you. To some it won't be bothersome, to you and I it is. I have used many android devices with OLED screens and have never seen such an obvious tint. In my opinion, I am not spending this type of money on a device that is bothersome to me. If it was only at a 45 degree angle, then that I can live with. But when the ever so slightest tilt of the screen causes colors to be muted, no thanks. It will be very interesting as to what the official reviewers say.

Well, let's see.

Some are selling it and others aren't. Wouldn't that suggest that setting is wrong with some of the displays?

I'm not saying they aren't seeing the defect. But I didn't.

I don't believe it is a setting because many people like me have messed with the settings and nothing changes. The pixel 2 does not have this blue tint. It is an LG display vs. the pixel 2s HTC display.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
I went and looked at both phones today. I must say the Kinda Blue does look much better in person, just a shame that it only comes in the 5" size and 64GB pretty dumb if you ask me. When I checked out the XL 2, I definitely have mixed feelings. There's something about the screen that absolutely freaking bugs me, the bezels even though smaller just look so big still compared to say the S8 variants, Note 8 or the LG V30.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't believe it is a setting because many people like me have messed with the settings and nothing changes. The pixel 2 does not have this blue tint. It is an LG display vs. the pixel 2s HTC display.
Sure, it may not be a setting, but it's also not outside the realm of possibility that there is something not quite right about some or all of the demo units themselves. Even though you can cancel the Verizon demos on the phones, once you get past them, you can tell that you're not playing with a final release version of the phone. It really is just a demo model meant primarily to let people explore the phone via those demo files.

And if we're lucky, some of the demo models may have even been units that didn't make it past quality control. There may even be some weirdness caused by their being too much noise in the in-store alarm cable hook ups. There may be a number of reasons why some of us are finding blue-tinted units in Verizon stores and others are not.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Sure, it may not be a setting, but it's also not outside the realm of possibility that there is something not quite right about some or all of the demo units themselves. Even though you can cancel the Verizon demos on the phones, once you get past them, you can tell that you're not playing with a final release version of the phone. It really is just a demo model meant primarily to let people explore the phone via those demo files.

And if we're lucky, some of the demo models may have even been units that didn't make it past quality control. There may even be some weirdness caused by their being too much noise in the in-store alarm cable hook ups. There may be a number of reasons why some of us are finding blue-tinted units in Verizon stores and others are not.

I really hope that is the case! Atleast we can have some hope.

Either way, I cancelled my preorder due to the fact that like @swarlos said...there is something about the phone I don't like. It's too light, feels like my son's toddler phone when I hold it. The curved screen is weird looking and I am not fond of the rounded corners. The pixel 2 felt like a much more solid phone to me. Again this is my opinion that others on here have agreed with, but to each is own. I was super pumped for this phone and was very quickly let down by Google on this release.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm hoping it's simply a firmware issue that will have been addressed once the phones actually start to ship. Maybe the demo units are running some pre-release software with the display tuning screwed up that will be fixed later..OTA.. Anyways...fingers crossed. I will say this. If my phone does come in with the issue....it's going back. It bothered me that much.

Damu357

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
All you guys are talking about this blue tint that's on a demo/possibly pre production model. The retail version might be totally different. After reading some comments, the same models that have the tint issue also have the portrait mode issue, just a thought

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
What gesture are you talking about? 2016 Pixels don't have curved screens. I have no clue what you are referring to.

The edges of the original pixels have "2.5D" designs. Not as curved as the new ones but there's still a curve.

The gestures are swiping in for menus, and any gesture that involves swiping in from the edge.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
It bothered me that much.

Why? I've seen a lot of people express similar sentiments, but haven't said why. Aside from the arduous "a 'premium' phone should be like X" argument.

Why does it bother you? Do you notice tinting on your TV and computer? Would people have noticed the tint if they weren't actively looking for it and positioning the phone in ways for it to appear/ comparing it side by side to other phones?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess I never understood the whole .. hold the phone at a crazy angle and then wonder why it looks weird club.

That's just me I guess. My plasma TV is great but at an extreme angle it's bad.. but I never watch from that angle. Same with my phone. It's in front of me. I don't care what the guy in the 5th seat down from me sees when looking at my phone.

jsarino

VR Expert
Trusted Member
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Good question. If I'm able to get to a Verizon store, I can check the settings for you. My hunch though is that it will be grayed out.

So I did stop by a Verizon store, and when I attempted to activate developer mode, it stopped me from doing so, saying "demo mode only". As others have mentioned, it's a good chance the bootloader is locked like the first Pixel.

Also, the black XL looks all-business and understated. I wish the panda version was there for me to compare. I also wish the blue that's from the smaller Pixel 2 was available for the XL.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So I did stop by a Verizon store, and when I attempted to activate developer mode, it stopped me from doing so, saying "demo mode only". As others have mentioned, it's a good chance the bootloader is locked like the first Pixel.

Also, the black XL looks all-business and understated. I wish the panda version was there for me to compare. I also wish the blue that's from the smaller Pixel 2 was available for the XL.

The bootloader being locked doesn't keep you from activating developer mode, any phone can do that, bootloader locked or not. The only phone I've ever had with an unlocked bootloader is the 6p, and every phone I've owned I've activated developer mode.

I would say it has something to do with it being locked in demo mode, so customers can't mess with the settings or possibly screw something up (in Verizon's eyes anyway).

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't get the panda craze? You folks don't use cases?

I don't use cases on my phones. I'm not sure why I need to. My phones are fine without them. People have expressed surprise, though, when they see the condition my phone is in without a case because they don't think their phone would look nearly as nice.

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Sadly, my visit to the Verizon store resulted in me canceling my Panda 2 XL pre-order. Did not like the look of the front at all. The way the screen sort of floats above the body was just not appealing to me - and I'm not dropping $1k on a phone that makes me go "eww." Oh well.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
after my hands on it had me questioning the 2XL. now I'm also thinking about the lack of headphone jack, the lack of wireless charging, the lack of second camera lens (which I think can be useful for different photography options, not just portrait modes) and I'm feeling like the 2XL is now an unlikely buy for me

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Went to 2 VZW stores to see the 2XL and no blue light issues. Damn....what a nice phone! Can't wait for my order to ship on 10/23 next week.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, my visit to the Verizon store resulted in me canceling my Panda 2 XL pre-order. Did not like the look of the front at all. The way the screen sort of floats above the body was just not appealing to me - and I'm not dropping $1k on a phone that makes me go "eww." Oh well.

That sucks and it's too bad the 2 XL didn't do it for you. On the bright side, it's better to realize that now rather than later after your phone was delivered.

I've never pre-ordered a phone before but took a chance with the Pixel 2. A few days later, I was able to check out the 2 and 2 XL in a Verizon store and was satisfied I made the right choice. I hope the 2 doesn't disappoint once I get it.

MazoMark

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Here's my take on "blue tint". I currently have an HTC 10. Great phone, but it is polarized vertically, which means when wearing sunglasses, the screen goes blank if held in portrait orientation. Shortly after purchasing this phone, I moved to Florida, which makes this a HUGE problem.

In comparison, a slight blue tint is a non issue. Yes, I agree its there. Yes, I agree the N8 has a superior screen. But I"m buying this phone for the software, updates direct from Google, and camera, in that order. Everything I've seen about the screen looks perfectly acceptable to me.

I'll judge it in person when I get mine in my hands this week.

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
The regular 2 could have had the vivid color option turned on, while the xl2 had it off. Without seeing the settings we can't say that something is wrong. (the 2 and 2xl I saw in a Verizon store were tuned almost the same, for example)

Nadda. I kept both settings the same. Switched between and compared. Still bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol