Is the pixel 2 xl's display the same as v30?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think some of us may prefer a more saturated and vivid display so that's one reason why we may be disappointed with the pixel 2 xl display. I know I prefer something similar to Samsung's AMOLED and I'm disappointed by the pixel 2 xl's display as I think it looks washed out and isn't as vivid. Also, I don't like the blue tint issue I saw.

Oh, I was referencing the V30, but fair point on the Pixel 2 XL as well, as it's also way more accurate than many people are used to. So with Samsung's phones, if you put them in "basic" mode, that's pretty darn close to what we're going to be seeing with the V30 and Pixel 2 XL. That "washed out" look is sometimes also called "accurate", depending on who is using the term.

rog152

May 24, 2010
Visit site
theverge just killed the V30's review over it's screen.
you may be wondering why I have left discussion of the LG V30’s display for last. Well, that’s because I wanted you to understand the essential strengths and weaknesses of this phone before I told you the ultimate deal-breaker for me. The OLED screen of the V30 is just bad. There’s no dodging this issue, and there’s no making excuses for it. This isn’t a good display, and if your phone doesn’t have a good display it might as well be a Nokia 5110.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16457544/lg-v30-review-design

let's hope it is not the same on the Pixel's

xplod566

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
theverge just killed the V30's review over it's screen.
you may be wondering why I have left discussion of the LG V30’s display for last. Well, that’s because I wanted you to understand the essential strengths and weaknesses of this phone before I told you the ultimate deal-breaker for me. The OLED screen of the V30 is just bad. There’s no dodging this issue, and there’s no making excuses for it. This isn’t a good display, and if your phone doesn’t have a good display it might as well be a Nokia 5110.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/16457544/lg-v30-review-design

let's hope it is not the same on the Pixel's
Frankly speaking I get a feeling it's gonna be.i know LG and they are not at all good when it comes to display .I won v20 and I know ,it would be incorrect to boast about it without telling the drawback.so yeah verge is quiet right in saying it openly and frankly speaking it was a much needed thing for LG to look into it.
The LG flex....I don't know where to start,the V20 had retention problem& the V20 is no exception.
I would still suggest u to go to a local store and check ,who knows 5hwy might have improved it but I don't have high hopes on LG when it comes to display

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
LG is where Samsung was about 3-4 generations of screen ago. Anyone remember the Galaxy Nexus? That thing had all the issues identified in the Verge review of the V30, biy different phones had different defects. (or none at all)

xplod566

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
LG is where Samsung was about 3-4 generations of screen ago. Anyone remember the Galaxy Nexus? That thing had all the issues identified in the Verge review of the V30, biy different phones had different defects. (or none at all)
Exactly.we can't blame LG.but the quad DAC...maaaaaaaannnnnnnnn.it too sexy to ignore if u r an audiophile

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Frankly speaking I get a feeling it's gonna be.i know LG and they are not at all good when it comes to display .I won v20 and I know ,it would be incorrect to boast about it without telling the drawback.so yeah verge is quiet right in saying it openly and frankly speaking it was a much needed thing for LG to look into it.
The LG flex....I don't know where to start,the V20 had retention problem& the V20 is no exception.
I would still suggest u to go to a local store and check ,who knows 5hwy might have improved it but I don't have high hopes on LG when it comes to display

The V20 is an LCD, which is totally different display tech. And, like the G5, G6, etc. is apparently not calibrated well at all - or is calibrated to a color range other than those used by most flagship displays. The LG Flex is from 4 years ago... pretty irrelevant to the conversation. The V30 display should be judged on its own merits, not on the merits of other displays from LG's history that have little, if anything, to do with the display tech being used in the V30.

xplod566

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
The V20 is an LCD, which is totally different display tech. And, like the G5, G6, etc. is apparently not calibrated well at all - or is calibrated to a color range other than those used by most flagship displays. The LG Flex is from 4 years ago... pretty irrelevant to the conversation. The V30 display should be judged on its own merits, not on the merits of other displays from LG's history that have little, if anything, to do with the display tech being used in the V30.
That's not a good excuse for a device coating a good 700$ (at least when it was launched)
V20 has some serious screen retention issue.v 10 has and also the G6 too.this is not expected from someone who is already a pioneer in displays (TVs)
Also even after multiple feedback to them regrading retention they haven't taken a y sort of step to fix it.
Besides time Wil tell about the quality of V30..so far it doesn't look promising

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That's not a good excuse for a device coating a good 700$ (at least when it was launched)
V20 has some serious screen retention issue.v 10 has and also the G6 too.this is not expected from someone who is already a pioneer in displays (TVs)
Also even after multiple feedback to them regrading retention they haven't taken a y sort of step to fix it.
Besides time Wil tell about the quality of V30..so far it doesn't look promising

What do those screens have anything to do with the V30 and Pixel, which use completely different technology?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

What excuse?

The V10, V20, G6, G5, G4, G3, G2, etc, etc. all use LCD displays. The V30 is OLED. That's different tech.
The V10, V20, G6, G5, G4, etc, all were very poorly calibrated. The V30 is apparently very well calibrated.

These are two MAJOR differences in display that have two things in common: we've never seen them from LG together, and one we've never seen from LG at all.

That's why judging it on its own merits and weaknesses makes way more sense than assuming that a bunch of other products with bad displays have anything to do with this display.

xplod566

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
What excuse?

The V10, V20, G6, G5, G4, G3, G2, etc, etc. all use LCD displays. The V30 is OLED. That's different tech.
The V10, V20, G6, G5, G4, etc, all were very poorly calibrated. The V30 is apparently very well calibrated.

These are two MAJOR differences in display that have two things in common: we've never seen them from LG together, and one we've never seen from LG at all.

That's why judging it on its own merits and weaknesses makes way more sense than assuming that a bunch of other products with bad displays have anything to do with this display.
What?colour calibration?when did we talk about it!I was referring to retention.did you actually read my post.
Besides ,how do you judge a company?do u judge by the previous prodcuzts he made or the present one..you yourself have agreed that all the previous LG phone has poor screen , so how do you expect them to make an excellent display outright just by changing the tech!
I am an LG user and I am just letting people know about the issues they might have regarding displays or be it anything.Just coz I have an LG device doesn't mean I will boast about it and not talk about the issues it has!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
you yourself have agreed that all the previous LG phone has poor screen , so how do you expect them to make an excellent display outright just by changing the tech!

Just by changing the tech? Using better technology and actually correctly calibrating their displays is all anyone ever wanted them to do lol

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Guys, it's going to be ok.

This Reddit thread shows the Pixel 2 XL's panel is totally fine compared to the V30. Seems like Google was aware and made the necessary changes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/75yiv4/pixel_xl2_display_vs_v30_on_right/

Image from the thread:

4I618W3.jpg

V30 is on the right.

DroidDavi

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I just left the VZW store I don't like the screen seems washed out to me . I know that's just because of the type of screen it is but I may cancle my order

dejanh

Trusted Member
Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Just went through the reddit thread as well...some major issues with the comparisons there. You have to compare the panels at the same output lumens. Adjusting the brightness slider to the same value isn't the same thing. My concerns are rooted in the fact that I have seen the POLED panels in the past, I believe all of them were made by LG as well, and all of them had the same problems that were noted in the Verge review. If Pixel 2 XL is using the same display, while the calibration may be accurate, the overall display quality will be terrible. I really can't wait until I can actually try this phone to see for myself. I don't have high hopes though.

Edit: In before somebody says "Samsung uses POLED too". Even if they do (and I still doubt that because the information that I have seen so far points to Samsung still taking the harder approach of shaping glass substrate), the manufacturing differences between Samsung and LG are quite large for OLED panels, at least based on displays produced to date.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781