10-18-2017 03:43 PM
105 123 ...
tools
    I'm wondering if anyone knows if the pixel 2 xl's display is the same poled display of the v30? When I checked it out yesterday I though the 2 xl's display looked different and had washed out colors compared to the v30's display which was colorful and vivid similar to Samsung's displays.

I wonder if they put an IPS lg display on it instead or is it still poled?
    10-13-2017 07:32 AM
    Here's a speculative thought: Maybe they are saving the "better" screen for next year's phone, as an improvement to this year's model.
    10-13-2017 09:32 AM
    I'm wondering if anyone knows if the pixel 2 xl's display is the same poled display of the v30? When I checked it out yesterday I though the 2 xl's display looked different and had washed out colors compared to the v30's display which was colorful and vivid similar to Samsung's displays.
    My guess would be that you just prefer the way that LG fine tunes their display over Google's approach. Could be that LG boosted the color saturation on the default settings of their displays.
    10-13-2017 10:22 AM

I wonder if they put an IPS lg display on it instead or is it still poled?
    It is a POLED display, though we don't know yet if it's the identical screen as the V30. That said, to truly compare them, you'd need the same screen content shown under the same lighting, so if you saw them at different times/places, that could have caused the difference you noted. Also, the display settings can make a massive difference (e.g., SRGB mode is far, far more color-accurate, but will appear washed out compared to the oversaturated display modes that are 'all the rage).

Here's a speculative thought: Maybe they are saving the "better" screen for next year's phone, as an improvement to this year's model.
    Would be no point, as by next year the available display options will have incrementally improved regardless.
    oldkingclue likes this.
    10-13-2017 10:58 AM
    My guess would be that you just prefer the way that LG fine tunes their display over Google's approach. Could be that LG boosted the color saturation on the default settings of their displays.
    Could be. But would there be an option to fine tune that 2 xl's display?
    10-13-2017 01:27 PM
    It is a POLED display, though we don't know yet if it's the identical screen as the V30. That said, to truly compare them, you'd need the same screen content shown under the same lighting, so if you saw them at different times/places, that could have caused the difference you noted. Also, the display settings can make a massive difference (e.g., SRGB mode is far, far more color-accurate, but will appear washed out compared to the oversaturated display modes that are 'all the rage).

Would be no point, as by next year the available display options will have incrementally improved regardless.
    I saw both phones as well as the note 8 under the same lighting conditions at the verizon store and I compared them nearly side by side. Both the v30 and note 8 had better displays imo and the colors were more saturated and vivid while the pixel looked washed out. The v30 and pixel both had the blue tint while viewed at angles.

Do you know if the pixel will have different display modes to change sRGB to a different mode to perhaps help the screen look for like the v30?
    10-13-2017 01:30 PM
    Both of the displays are the same tech and both are calibrated to support sRGB and DCI-P3 color gamuts. If you're seeing a major difference, it is likely that they were not using the same color profile at the time. Keep in mind that the V30 does not yet have OS level color management, which comes with Android O. If both devices are using stock settings, it's likely that the V30 is wildly off color with the 2 XL showing more accurate colors.
    10-13-2017 01:41 PM
    I have V30 and I say same display except on LG you can choose different display mode and you can adjust RGB color.
    10-13-2017 01:48 PM
    I have V30 and I say same display except on LG you can choose different display mode and you can adjust RGB color.
    I could be mistaken, but I believe the SRGB mode on the Pixel 2/2XL is not the default, so you can change display modes there between the default and SRGB, though you may not be able to fine-tune either.
    10-13-2017 01:53 PM
    Yes but on LG you can change the display mode for Movie, Photo and you can adjust red ,green and blue.
    10-13-2017 01:56 PM
    You can see LG V30 display is not that bad. View angle is good too.
    10-13-2017 01:58 PM
    I don't understand the viewing angle complaint. I can see when you're talking about a TV, computer monitor, hell maybe the touch screen in your car. What do you guys do with your phone that you look at it at an angle and get bothered by inaccurate colors? I'm not trying to be a **** I'm genuinely curious
    10-13-2017 02:42 PM
    I like the v30 display besides the blue tint which you can see in the 2nd pick. But I'm more concerned about the pixel 2 xl's display because it looked washed out compared to the v30 even though they apparently have the same poled display made by lg.
    10-13-2017 04:15 PM
    Looks like all of the LG V30 reviews are out now and the display seems to have a plethora of issues, all of which come back to the less-than-perfect implementation of LG POLED displays. Here is a review from The Verge, https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/...-review-design.

The Verge had a lot of good things to say about the Pixel 2 XL in their preview, however seeing as this phone is supposed to use the exact same display as the V30, I have my doubts about the quality. Naturally, all of this will come out soon, but I have also read some less than stellar impressions of the Pixel 2 XL display on this forum.

If anybody already has their hands on a Pixel 2 XL, are you noticing any issues with the display, and if so, what issues?
    10-16-2017 11:28 AM
    10-16-2017 11:31 AM
    Looks like all of the LG V30 reviews are out now and the display seems to have a plethora of issues, all of which come back to the less-than-perfect implementation of LG POLED displays. Here is a review from The Verge, https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/...-review-design.

The Verge had a lot of good things to say about the Pixel 2 XL in their preview, however seeing as this phone is supposed to use the exact same display as the V30, I have my doubts about the quality. Naturally, all of this will come out soon, but I have also read some less than stellar impressions of the Pixel 2 XL display on this forum.

If anybody already has their hands on a Pixel 2 XL, are you noticing any issues with the display, and if so, what issues?
    That's the first review I've seen that mentions display issues on the V30. Its possible they got a bad unit, because other reviews had nothing to complain about.
    10-16-2017 11:35 AM
    Call me concerned now about the Pixel 2 XL

I really do think LG nailed the dimensions of this phone, and I’m confident the screen technology contributes to the V30’s thinness (as well as making it compatible with Google’s budding Daydream VR ecosystem). But the V30’s desaturated, lifeless screen, addled with all of the foregoing issues, makes this a phone I find impossible to love, or even get along with on a daily basis.
    10-16-2017 11:42 AM
    Call me concerned now about the Pixel 2 XL

I really do think LG nailed the dimensions of this phone, and I’m confident the screen technology contributes to the V30’s thinness (as well as making it compatible with Google’s budding Daydream VR ecosystem). But the V30’s desaturated, lifeless screen, addled with all of the foregoing issues, makes this a phone I find impossible to love, or even get along with on a daily basis.
    I think you're reading way far into a phone without even using it in day to day. Take what people say as a grain of salt. Any phone that comes out has all the "doom & gloom" posts before anyone even has it for daily use. If you get it and use it in day to day and it is bad then by all means return / grab another phone.
    dsignori, Orion78 and AnnDroid like this.
    10-16-2017 11:44 AM
    I think it's super funny that LG finally put out an accurate display on mobile and almost everyone that comments about it HATES it. I'm talking color accuracy though, not anything to do with the alleged blotchiness, banding, etc.
    10-16-2017 12:00 PM
    I think it's super funny that LG finally put out an accurate display on mobile and almost everyone that comments about it HATES it. I'm talking color accuracy though, not anything to do with the alleged blotchiness, banding, etc.
    I think some of us may prefer a more saturated and vivid display so that's one reason why we may be disappointed with the pixel 2 xl display. I know I prefer something similar to Samsung's AMOLED and I'm disappointed by the pixel 2 xl's display as I think it looks washed out and isn't as vivid. Also, I don't like the blue tint issue I saw.
    10-16-2017 12:13 PM
    I think some of us may prefer a more saturated and vivid display so that's one reason why we may be disappointed with the pixel 2 xl display. I know I prefer something similar to Samsung's AMOLED and I'm disappointed by the pixel 2 xl's display as I think it looks washed out and isn't as vivid. Also, I don't like the blue tint issue I saw.
    Oh, I was referencing the V30, but fair point on the Pixel 2 XL as well, as it's also way more accurate than many people are used to. So with Samsung's phones, if you put them in "basic" mode, that's pretty darn close to what we're going to be seeing with the V30 and Pixel 2 XL. That "washed out" look is sometimes also called "accurate", depending on who is using the term.
    ottscay and jonstrong like this.
    10-16-2017 12:19 PM
    theverge just killed the V30's review over it's screen.
    you may be wondering why I have left discussion of the LG V30’s display for last. Well, that’s because I wanted you to understand the essential strengths and weaknesses of this phone before I told you the ultimate deal-breaker for me. The OLED screen of the V30 is just bad. There’s no dodging this issue, and there’s no making excuses for it. This isn’t a good display, and if your phone doesn’t have a good display it might as well be a Nokia 5110.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/...-review-design

let's hope it is not the same on the Pixel's
    10-16-2017 01:47 PM
    10-16-2017 02:03 PM
    hmm, doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the display in this video... On the all white screen, you can kinda see the blue shift (if that's what people are referencing) but only at an extreme forward angle.
    dsignori likes this.
    10-16-2017 02:13 PM
    theverge just killed the V30's review over it's screen.
    you may be wondering why I have left discussion of the LG V30’s display for last. Well, that’s because I wanted you to understand the essential strengths and weaknesses of this phone before I told you the ultimate deal-breaker for me. The OLED screen of the V30 is just bad. There’s no dodging this issue, and there’s no making excuses for it. This isn’t a good display, and if your phone doesn’t have a good display it might as well be a Nokia 5110.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/16/...-review-design

let's hope it is not the same on the Pixel's
    Frankly speaking I get a feeling it's gonna be.i know LG and they are not at all good when it comes to display .I won v20 and I know ,it would be incorrect to boast about it without telling the drawback.so yeah verge is quiet right in saying it openly and frankly speaking it was a much needed thing for LG to look into it.
    The LG flex....I don't know where to start,the V20 had retention problem& the V20 is no exception.
    I would still suggest u to go to a local store and check ,who knows 5hwy might have improved it but I don't have high hopes on LG when it comes to display
    10-16-2017 02:15 PM
105 123 ...