01-17-2018 08:32 PM
110 1234 ...
tools
    There are some that use static but most use a light adhesive like a sticky-note. I've always used these on past phones, including the S7's annoyingly curved screen, but it does seem like most are going to wet-apply. I'm mostly concerned with the wet-apply solution getting into those big front-facing speakers and gumming up the works or causing damage. I can't see how that could be fixed if it happens.
    The phone is rated IP67 (They are protected from dust and capable of withstanding water immersion between 15 cm and 1 meter for 30 minutes.). So a little water from the installation will not damage the phone.

They all come with a little spray bottle and you're simply spraying a little bit of water so that the screen protector can be moved easily. Once its in a location that you want, you use the squeegee to remove the water out from underneath. If getting it in the speakers is of concern, you can push the water to the edges away from the speakers.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    10-16-2017 12:42 PM
    The phone is rated IP67 (They are protected from dust and capable of withstanding water immersion between 15 cm and 1 meter for 30 minutes.). So a little water from the installation will not damage the phone.

They all come with a little spray bottle and you're simply spraying a little bit of water so that the screen protector can be moved easily. Once its in a location that you want, you use the squeegee to remove the water out from underneath. If getting it in the speakers is of concern, you can push the water to the edges away from the speakers.
    I see. Thank you for the clarification. I thought the spray bottle contained an adhesive solution which, if it got into the speakers, could damage/impair them. If it is just water I'm not as concerned.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    10-16-2017 02:29 PM
    I see. Thank you for the clarification. I thought the spray bottle contained an adhesive solution which, if it got into the speakers, could damage/impair them. If it is just water I'm not as concerned.
    No adhesive solution in those bottles. Its just distilled water. It's kind of like apply tints on a car. The water just makes it a slipper surface to make adjusting easier.
    10-16-2017 02:43 PM
    Just don't use any alcohol wipes or solutions with alcohol - it can damage or at least diminish the effectiveness of the OEM oleophobic coating on the screen. Or if you do use it, use it very lightly.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    10-16-2017 02:50 PM
    Naked is the only way to go.
    10-16-2017 03:30 PM
    Firm believer in cases, but have not bothered with a screen protector since the iphone 3G...Nexus 6 has zero scratches on it. The gorilla glass seems more than adequate for the abuse I give my phones.

Even if it has scratches after a couple years it is just getting replaced anyway. Wiping it on my Levis is the only cleaning I give it.
    10-16-2017 08:14 PM
    I'm waiting for RhinoShield.
    I second that! I have it on my OG Pixel xL and it has survived everything thus far!
    10-16-2017 09:35 PM
    Just got this in a few minutes ago. While for obvious reasons I can't speak to how well it installs just yet, the packaging was very clean and solid (good, given it was shipped in a bubblewrap envelope). The SP itself is clearly at all edges and corners to conform to the Pixel XL, with cutouts for all sensors.
    FYI, these amFilm protectors install really easily and virtually disappear into the black bezels around the display. Just line up the front camera with its cutout, and you're golden.
    dmark44 likes this.
    10-18-2017 10:08 PM
    FYI, these amFilm protectors install really easily and virtually disappear into the black bezels around the display. Just line up the front camera with its cutout, and you're golden.
    My 2 XL is out for delivery now... Will post finding and a picture of it installed later (though I'll have to use that now-woefully-inadequate camera on my 2016 Pixel XL to take it). Same with a couple of case options (Caseology Legion, ProCase thin shell).
    10-19-2017 09:43 AM
    How curved is this screen at the edges? Will a glass protector give me the dreaded halo effect?
    10-19-2017 08:21 PM
    How curved is this screen at the edges? Will a glass protector give me the dreaded halo effect?
    It's been hit or miss. Some people have the halo effect and some people have stated they do not. For the most part, no halo effect.

List of screen protectors for Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL
    https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...=1#post6017782

If you're worried about halo effect, you can get a flat tempered glass.
    10-19-2017 09:53 PM
    I got some of those J&D film screen protectors. They seem to fit well, good quality, though the matte ones are heavily pebbled so I would recommend the crystal clear ones. Call me old fashioned but I still prefer dry protectors over wet apply.

Update - Don't get these. I was pretty generous in the matte ones, because antiglare protectors always have a bit of stippling/rainbow/pebble effect. But even the "HD Clear" ones have that same distortion, to a much lesser degree, but still well noticable.

It'll do for the time being, but I'll swap it out when one of the more trusted names comes out with a better one.
    10-19-2017 10:43 PM
    Verizon is supposedly selling a non-curved Zagg glass model, so if that's truly the case that's what I'll be getting. The curved glass is all garbage but I want something to protect the screen.
    10-20-2017 12:13 AM
    Verizon is supposedly selling a non-curved Zagg glass model, so if that's truly the case that's what I'll be getting. The curved glass is all garbage but I want something to protect the screen.
    Zagg offers two types, tempered and HD according to their site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=VgaoMv5t

HD is film and not tempered glass and are flat. For tempered, Zagg only offers the flat for the Pixel 2 known as Glass+. The 2 XL is known as Glass Curve.
    husslord likes this.
    10-20-2017 06:31 AM
    I have the Verizon tempered glass coming for my 2 XL today. I'll report back after I get it installed
    husslord likes this.
    10-20-2017 07:09 AM
    I have the Verizon tempered glass coming for my 2 XL today. I'll report back after I get it installed
    My experience has been fairly good with them, I let them install them at the store and they go on just about perfect. My only complaint is they seem to accumulate micro scratches from your fingers very easily.
    10-20-2017 09:31 AM
    I prefer a matte finish screen protector. Anyone seen any they like yet or have one of the IQ Shield protectors on their current phone?
    10-20-2017 12:23 PM
    I prefer a matte finish screen protector. Anyone seen any they like yet or have one of the IQ Shield protectors on their current phone?
    I tried the J&D dry matte protector and it made the screen look terrible, so I'd say not that one. Tons of rainbow/stippling/pebble effect.
    10-20-2017 12:27 PM
    I have the Verizon glass. I let them put it on and there is one spot where something is under it and it's driving me nuts. Other thing I don't like is that it shows finger prints like crazy. I have iq liquid shields coming. Not glass but I used them on my s8 plus and note 8 and absolutely loved them.
    10-20-2017 12:29 PM
    I use (and NEED) the OtterBox Defender. I see that there's no screen protector on the Defender for the XL2. Will a tempered glass protector fit with a Defender?
    10-20-2017 08:36 PM
    Well I just installed the Skinomi screen protector. Just to let you guys know, installing these are a pain in the butt. If I can, I would do without these all together. But I'm paranoid and I want my screens protected lol. I'll see how it looks when it's all settled in.
    10-20-2017 09:21 PM
    I use (and NEED) the OtterBox Defender. I see that there's no screen protector on the Defender for the XL2. Will a tempered glass protector fit with a Defender?
    So as long the tempered glass is case friendly it will work. If the tempered is edge to edge, no.
    10-20-2017 10:32 PM
    Zagg offers two types, tempered and HD according to their site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=6DWaEltt

HD is film and not tempered glass and are flat. For tempered, Zagg only offers the flat for the Pixel 2 known as Glass+. The 2 XL is known as Glass Curve.
    On Zagg's site, yes. However Verizon has on their website a flat glass protector with beveled edges so there's not as much of an edge as their other protectors. I know with the OG Pixel Verizon had Zagg exclusive protectors a couple weeks before anywhere else.
    10-20-2017 11:05 PM
    Any updates on the best and easiest to install screen protectors? I didn't use one on my OG pixel XL and the screen is all torn up. I want to keep this new screen perfect.
    10-21-2017 09:56 AM
    Any updates on the best and easiest to install screen protectors? I didn't use one on my OG pixel XL and the screen is all torn up. I want to keep this new screen perfect.
    Check the XDA forums for people's feedback. Some have received and posted their comments. Link to XDA is on 1st page
    10-21-2017 11:51 AM
110 1234 ...