01-17-2018 08:32 PM
110 12345
tools
    I have the curved glass screen protector from Verizon today. I hate it. For some reason I notice lines on each side of the screen. Another fail lol. Looks like I'll still be looking.
    10-21-2017 07:53 PM
    I tried out this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It's been about a day. There's one little glinting spot (like a fleck of glitter or something?) which maybe still needs to cure, but otherwise it seems to be pretty good. Good size, good feel. I still really don't like wet applied protectors but until we get some dry ones this is better than nothing. It's certainly very clear, no other graphical issues beyond that little spot and the manufacturer says it could take a few days to fully "cure". MUCH better than the J&D dry apply protector I tried before.

If this doesn't work out, I might end up trimming another phone's protector. The iPhone 8 is almost the same sized screen, or maybe get some Note 8 protectors and trim them down.

Update - Looks like the glitter/sparkle thing is caused by some defect in the material. It gets good reviews on Amazon, maybe I just got unlucky with mine.

Update 2 - Turns out Galaxy S7 screen protectors are the perfect width. They're too long, but if you trim off the top and the bottom they'll protect the screen. Guess I'm using this until some company comes up with a better dry-apply. At least there's choices for S7's.
    10-29-2017 01:24 PM
    Gave this Armorsuit protector a shot. They're cut well but look terrible. Tons of rainbow/striping effects even after 24 hours. I'm pretty surprised, I thought that was a good brand.
    11-01-2017 05:30 PM
    got the amfilm on my xl 2 and it's pretty nice
    11-01-2017 08:17 PM
    got the amfilm on my xl 2 and it's pretty nice
    Fit great, easy install for me and, with a typical case on, the look is perfect. Not sure if mine was from a 'bad batch' or not, but I have had one problem with it (and no, it hasn't been it falling off - that hasn't even hinted at being a problem over the last 4 days with which I've been using an MNML case (same as peel) that provides no shelter to the edges.

The problem I have is that, despite never having dropped it, bumped it, kept it in my pocket with keys or anything else, nor being hamfisted when using the screen, it has developed two hairline cracks in the SP. The first appeared just below the upper left corner after about a week, and the second a day later (not at all connected to the other crack) on the lower right side, about 1/3 up from the bottom.

I'm hoping that it's just mine, but am concerned that it may have to do with accrued stress since the SP actually floats just above the actual display, only fully seated on the edges.
    11-02-2017 03:59 PM
    mine is the updated version and has adhesive on the entire SP, I know this for a fact because I got a hair under the SP and had to peel it back off but it reinstalled fine.
    11-02-2017 08:40 PM
    Any updates on the best and easiest to install screen protectors? I didn't use one on my OG pixel XL and the screen is all torn up. I want to keep this new screen perfect.
    What do you think caused the scratches? I've always used screen protector and was considering not using one when I get my Penguin/Panda.
    11-03-2017 10:28 AM
    What do you think caused the scratches? I've always used screen protector and was considering not using one when I get my Penguin/Panda.
    Maybe my keys? I'm really not sure, I thought the gorilla glass was scratch proof but my screen looks otherwise. I've dropped this phone a ton and that could have caused it too.
    AnnDroid likes this.
    11-03-2017 10:35 AM
    Maybe my keys? I'm really not sure, I thought the gorilla glass was scratch proof but my screen looks otherwise. I've dropped this phone a ton and that could have caused it too.
    Thanks. I'm sorry yours has scratches, but it's good to know that as long as I keep the phone away from 'stuff' it should be okay. I have a pocket that's my phone pocket. Nothing else goes in that pocket...well, a hanky but a gals got to keep up appearances
    djmiked likes this.
    11-03-2017 11:01 AM
    Finally found a winner! This one by IllumiShield works great! It's crystal clear. The cutouts are a little close, but everything still fits. It gets a few knocks because it doesn't come with stickers for removing dust (not a huge deal, I just use blue painter's tape) and it's oddly a little long, leaving the very top edge possibly not fully adhered? Till have to see how that holds up, but easy enough to trim that down if it becomes an issue.

It is barely, barely wider than the screen. Maybe 1-2 mm on each side, so lining it up is a little tough, but the same can be said of most case-friendly protectors.

Overall, very happy with this one, and as you guys can tell I'm pretty picky. Plus it's dry-application, so no powering off the phone, no waiting 24 hours to test it. It won't stop a bullet but it'll keep things from scratching the screen and that's all I'm really worried about.

Yay!
    11-03-2017 03:02 PM
    Finally found a winner! This one by IllumiShield works great! It's crystal clear. The cutouts are a little close, but everything still fits. It gets a few knocks because it doesn't come with stickers for removing dust (not a huge deal, I just use blue painter's tape) and it's oddly a little long, leaving the very top edge possibly not fully adhered? Till have to see how that holds up, but easy enough to trim that down if it becomes an issue.

It is barely, barely wider than the screen. Maybe 1-2 mm on each side, so lining it up is a little tough, but the same can be said of most case-friendly protectors.

Overall, very happy with this one, and as you guys can tell I'm pretty picky. Plus it's dry-application, so no powering off the phone, no waiting 24 hours to test it. It won't stop a bullet but it'll keep things from scratching the screen and that's all I'm really worried about.

Yay!
    You should leave a review on there so other people know, thanks for letting us know.
    11-03-2017 03:08 PM

Yay!
    I don't think they make one for the 2 XL, at least I couldn't find it.
    11-04-2017 12:03 PM
    ^^^True, even in their official site, I didn't see it listed. I'm almost tempted to get this Aquashield as a stopgap until some tempered glass or a better protector comes along: https://smile.amazon.com/Protector-C...tor+pixel+2+xl

There's Skinomi too, which seems to work in the past for me: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B073RRPL..._t1_B073RRYS68
    11-05-2017 12:47 AM
    I second that! I have it on my OG Pixel xL and it has survived everything thus far!
    I really wish Rhino shield would make the mod cases for Pixel 2 xl or any android device like they have for Apple.. cause as of right now they have a disclaimer that their screen protector doesn't even cover all edges of the Pixel.
    11-24-2017 09:07 AM
    Just got my pixel 2 and the screen protector I got from Amazon contained the 2 XL version. Crap.

So, the phone will not have a screen protector on it until Monday. I'm getting a film protector since it looks like tempered glass seems to have that same issue the S7 had with the curve.

I dunno. I may not even need a tempered glass since these guerilla glass seems more durable?
    11-24-2017 09:10 PM
    New Pixel owners, as in maybe 3 hours right now? I've read through the thread, but there was a gap from the start of the month until now. With the Day 1 adopters having plenty of time to evaluate things...

- I have the Pixel 2 XL with an Otterbox Defender case. What is the best tempered glass option?
    - My wife got one of those Kate Spade cases for her regular Pixel 2. What would be her best tempered glass option?
    11-25-2017 03:51 PM
    Yesterday I picked up a Zagg from Verizon and let them install it. It still has the Halo effect along the right and left edges. I guess there's nothing one can do about that. My last resort would be ordering the power support sold on the Google store site.
    11-26-2017 09:21 AM
    Yesterday I picked up a Zagg from Verizon and let them install it. It still has the Halo effect along the right and left edges. I guess there's nothing one can do about that. My last resort would be ordering the power support sold on the Google store site.
    A guy at Verizon had the zagg installed on his and I didn't see any Halo around his. Maybe it was a bad one?

I feel like the best option right now is to use PET Film until someone figures this out. I have PET films coming in tomorrow so I'll see how those are.
    11-26-2017 09:37 AM
    I was thinking about doing that myself. I used to use Tech Armor films exclusively before, at some point, thinking that tempered glass was the way to go. I've only had one time in the last few years where tempered glass saved me and that was at the post office a few weeks ago. I was shipping my 8 plus and got too aggressive with the tape dispenser crashing it into my X screen. Cracked the tempered glass but the screen was safe.
    11-26-2017 09:47 AM
    Spigen Liquid glass. So far so good.
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-27-2017 08:21 PM
    Has anyone tried the rihno shield protector?! Can't believe it's so hard to find a decent tempered glass screen protector for the pixel 2! Also what's with all the fake reviews from some of the screen protectors on Amazon? Some have hundreds of fake reviews, all 5 star reviews? How come Amazon allows them?
    11-27-2017 08:36 PM
    Still plugging away with this Zagg that won't lay down completely on the left side. Lol
    11-27-2017 08:41 PM
    Spigen Liquid glass. So far so good.
    I thought that was Snake Oil...
    11-29-2017 04:44 PM
    I agree on this Zagg protector. They sent me 3 replacements for the glass protection. 0/3 have laid flat along all edges. I've had them Verizon installed and personally installed. Each as close to perfect as they could be alignment wise. Zagg sent me the plastic version to try, it shipped stuck to the inside of the packaging so that was pretty comical. they just can't seem to figure out that their product for the pixel 2 wasn't ready for launch.
    mumfoau likes this.
    11-29-2017 08:14 PM
    Xtreme guard, $3, it's pretty good except doesn't cover the curves.
    11-29-2017 08:21 PM
110 12345