what's everyone doing for screen protection on the pixel 2?

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Just curious; i really don't know...why is the dot matrix something to be avoided?
Basically, the little dots help the screen protector touch the display to a point (but not stick down all the way which would lead to easy cracking).

But using the dot matrix pattern results in another problem: the "rainbow effect". This is the reflection of light between two sheets of glass (the phone's display and the tempered glass screen protector that isn't glued 100% onto the display), and it can be quite distracting.

Since the flat glass portion does not adhere to the glass, there is a very very small gap inbetween the TGSP and phone screen which can trap dust and very small particles.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just curious; i really don't know...why is the dot matrix something to be avoided?

I haven't used one so can't speak to as to whether it is visible under normal observation, but do know that there were complaints about them when used under the extreme-closeup perspective in Daydream VR.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Just got this in a few minutes ago. While for obvious reasons I can't speak to how well it installs just yet, the packaging was very clean and solid (good, given it was shipped in a bubblewrap envelope). The SP itself is clearly at all edges and corners to conform to the Pixel XL, with cutouts for all sensors.

Will update with how well it works, including if the dot matrix (invisible to naked eye) and if that impacts Daydream VR experience, after I get my Pixel 2 XL in, hopefully by the end of this week.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I think because of the curve, the dry apply that usually uses static-cling to adhere to the screen isn't as flexible when it comes to curved screens. If the static cling is bigger than the flat surface of the screen or applied wrong, it will lift up and cause dirt to adhere to the underside as well as possibly lift up.

There are some that use static but most use a light adhesive like a sticky-note. I've always used these on past phones, including the S7's annoyingly curved screen, but it does seem like most are going to wet-apply. I'm mostly concerned with the wet-apply solution getting into those big front-facing speakers and gumming up the works or causing damage. I can't see how that could be fixed if it happens.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
There are some that use static but most use a light adhesive like a sticky-note. I've always used these on past phones, including the S7's annoyingly curved screen, but it does seem like most are going to wet-apply. I'm mostly concerned with the wet-apply solution getting into those big front-facing speakers and gumming up the works or causing damage. I can't see how that could be fixed if it happens.
The phone is rated IP67 (They are protected from dust and capable of withstanding water immersion between 15 cm and 1 meter for 30 minutes.). So a little water from the installation will not damage the phone.

They all come with a little spray bottle and you're simply spraying a little bit of water so that the screen protector can be moved easily. Once its in a location that you want, you use the squeegee to remove the water out from underneath. If getting it in the speakers is of concern, you can push the water to the edges away from the speakers.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
The phone is rated IP67 (They are protected from dust and capable of withstanding water immersion between 15 cm and 1 meter for 30 minutes.). So a little water from the installation will not damage the phone.

They all come with a little spray bottle and you're simply spraying a little bit of water so that the screen protector can be moved easily. Once its in a location that you want, you use the squeegee to remove the water out from underneath. If getting it in the speakers is of concern, you can push the water to the edges away from the speakers.

I see. Thank you for the clarification. I thought the spray bottle contained an adhesive solution which, if it got into the speakers, could damage/impair them. If it is just water I'm not as concerned.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I see. Thank you for the clarification. I thought the spray bottle contained an adhesive solution which, if it got into the speakers, could damage/impair them. If it is just water I'm not as concerned.
No adhesive solution in those bottles. Its just distilled water. It's kind of like apply tints on a car. The water just makes it a slipper surface to make adjusting easier.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just don't use any alcohol wipes or solutions with alcohol - it can damage or at least diminish the effectiveness of the OEM oleophobic coating on the screen. Or if you do use it, use it very lightly.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Firm believer in cases, but have not bothered with a screen protector since the iphone 3G...Nexus 6 has zero scratches on it. The gorilla glass seems more than adequate for the abuse I give my phones.

Even if it has scratches after a couple years it is just getting replaced anyway. Wiping it on my Levis is the only cleaning I give it.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Just got this in a few minutes ago. While for obvious reasons I can't speak to how well it installs just yet, the packaging was very clean and solid (good, given it was shipped in a bubblewrap envelope). The SP itself is clearly at all edges and corners to conform to the Pixel XL, with cutouts for all sensors.
FYI, these amFilm protectors install really easily and virtually disappear into the black bezels around the display. Just line up the front camera with its cutout, and you're golden.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
FYI, these amFilm protectors install really easily and virtually disappear into the black bezels around the display. Just line up the front camera with its cutout, and you're golden.

My 2 XL is out for delivery now... Will post finding and a picture of it installed later (though I'll have to use that now-woefully-inadequate camera on my 2016 Pixel XL to take it). Same with a couple of case options (Caseology Legion, ProCase thin shell).

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I got some of those J&D film screen protectors. They seem to fit well, good quality, though the matte ones are heavily pebbled so I would recommend the crystal clear ones. Call me old fashioned but I still prefer dry protectors over wet apply.

Update - Don't get these. I was pretty generous in the matte ones, because antiglare protectors always have a bit of stippling/rainbow/pebble effect. But even the "HD Clear" ones have that same distortion, to a much lesser degree, but still well noticable.

It'll do for the time being, but I'll swap it out when one of the more trusted names comes out with a better one.

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Verizon is supposedly selling a non-curved Zagg glass model, so if that's truly the case that's what I'll be getting. The curved glass is all garbage but I want something to protect the screen.

dcemureviews

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Verizon is supposedly selling a non-curved Zagg glass model, so if that's truly the case that's what I'll be getting. The curved glass is all garbage but I want something to protect the screen.

Zagg offers two types, tempered and HD according to their site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...pixel-2-xl-screen-protector%2F&token=VgaoMv5t

HD is film and not tempered glass and are flat. For tempered, Zagg only offers the flat for the Pixel 2 known as Glass+. The 2 XL is known as Glass Curve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge