Why did Google change the free original quality photo storage from lifetime to 3 years?????

Do I really have to keep track of my 3 year window? This is annoying to say the least.
    10-13-2017 09:18 PM
    I'm sure Google knows not many people will keep the phone past 3 years, especially not the typical people who would buy a Pixel.
    modifier and rbernard80 like this.
    10-13-2017 09:28 PM
    This is a none issue for me. I will be doing good if keep this phone for 3 months.
    dsignori and recDNA like this.
    10-13-2017 09:42 PM
    Do I really have to keep track of my 3 year window?
    Your 3-year window is the same as everyone's 3-year window. October, 2020 will be the last security patch that's guaranteed. A few others might happen beyond Oct 2020 but aren't guaranteed.

I'm sure @Jaycemiskel's comment will prove true for the majority of Pixel 2 owners.
    10-13-2017 09:51 PM
    Why did Google change the free original quality photo storage from lifetime to 3 years?????

Do I really have to keep track of my 3 year window? This is annoying to say the least.
    They don't downgrade the quality of the photos you've already took. Just starting 1-1-21 any new photos will count towards your drive storage or be backed up in high quality instead of original
    Aquila and I Can Be Your Hero like this.
    10-13-2017 10:44 PM
    They don't downgrade the quality of the photos you've already took. Just starting 1-1-21 any new photos will count towards your drive storage or be backed up in high quality instead of original
    That would make more sense, but logic doesn't always get the nod in corporate planning/decisions. Is this an assumption, or have you seen a confirmation from Google regarding this detail?

On a side note, there was no such restriction made for owners of last year's model.
    10-13-2017 10:54 PM
    That would make more sense, but logic doesn't always get the nod in corporate planning/decisions. Is this an assumption, or have you seen a confirmation from Google regarding this detail?

On a side note, there was no such restriction made for owners of last year's model.
    There's been confirmation. Also it's been confirmed last year's model gets lifetime original quality uploads.
    Jeremy8000 likes this.
    10-13-2017 10:58 PM
    Your 3-year window is the same as everyone's 3-year window. October, 2020 will be the last security patch that's guaranteed. A few others might happen beyond Oct 2020 but aren't guaranteed.

I'm sure @Jaycemiskel's comment will prove true for the majority of Pixel 2 owners.
    The OP's question was about the photos, not the patches. Though, your answer still applies luckily :-) . The end of 2020 is when Pixel 2 unlimited original quality photos will end.

As you state though in your reference'd comment. Not many will be used much by that time I suspect.
    modifier likes this.
    10-13-2017 11:04 PM
    The OP's question was about the photos, not the patches.
    Thanks. That's what I get for posting late at night after notable sleep deprivation. lol
    10-14-2017 10:16 AM
    This ^^ exactly.
    10-15-2017 07:42 PM
    Exactly this. Any photos/videos taken with the Pixel 2 from now to 15 January 2021 will be stored at original quality, will remain at original quality forever and won't use up your Google Drive storage.

Any photos/videos taken with the Pixel 2 after 15 January 2021 will be stored as the high quality option, unless you select original quality, which will then use your Google Drive storage for those photos/videos.
    10-15-2017 08:38 PM
    Why is this considered a downside? Is there any other phone offering something better? I would think it's still falls in the positive column for this year's Pixel devices.
    10-15-2017 08:38 PM
    Why is this considered a downside? Is there any other phone offering something better? I would think it's still falls in the positive column for this year's Pixel devices.
    Last year's didn't have the 3 year restriction. Let's be real though. We're on a cellphone forum. None of us are going to be using the same phone in 3 years
    10-15-2017 08:40 PM
    Honestly, I doubt most people can fill up basic Google Drive storage with 12MP photos.

This is why any promise of free photo storage is essentially a gimmick to me.
    10-15-2017 10:36 PM
    Honestly, I doubt most people can fill up basic Google Drive storage with 12MP photos.

This is why any promise of free photo storage is essentially a gimmick to me.
    Over time, easily. And video can eat that up in a hurry - especially in 4k. Per the event, the average Pixel 2016 user used over 20GB. Could they go through and delete some things? Sure, but with unlimited full resolution storage, they don't have to make decisions over what items don't "make the grade."
    10-15-2017 10:48 PM