2XL - In hand feel?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have the original XL, only picked it up recently as they were going for £399. Like the experience but have to admit I do think that it feels cheap and a little plasticky in the hand. Worth £399 but I'd have felt a little short-changed if I'd paid £800 or more.

There are some anecdotal reports that the 2XL feels a little hollow/light/plasticky too. Anybody actually had a play with one?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
There is an entire thread dedicated to people going into Verizon and handling both phones. Both phones feel good in the hand.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The Pixel 2 XL felt great in my hand, it felt like a premium flagship phone.

But any characterization of that sort will always be 100% subjective, there is simply no way that everyone will ever feel the same way about any phone.

You need to pick one up yourself and decide for yourself.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I really like the feel because the current pixel feels very slippery, but the new coating feels much better in your hand when you are not using a case.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Never saw the other thread.

Found some today in carphonewarehouse and EE. Both had those horrible clamps around them so impossible to judge the feel.

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I went to a Verizon store yesterday to check them out. I loved the way the 2XL felt. Much grippier than my current XL.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't feel bad to me as far as materials go. It does feel a little hollow, but I also currently have a Note 8 and it is on the heavier side. I do like that it is not as tall as the 18.5:9 screens though.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Feels fine, but looks quite odd.

I kind of agree. I felt like the screen should have been bigger. Say 6.3 or 6.4" to fill out the top and bottom bezels a lil but more. So far that's the only thing I would have changed after handling one at the Verizon store.

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I handled the Pixel 2 XL today and it looks good and feels good. The only thing I thought kind of weird was where the screen meets metal frame. There is a noticeable lip or edge or something. I am thinking a case will cover this anyway.

lcs101

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
I really wish it had the feel of the V30. It' feels significantly bulkier. I was really wanting the Pixel 2 XL to be my next phone after seeing the Pixel 2's ridiculous bezels (no, it's not about looks, but screen to overall phone size ratio), but by current standards, it's still quite large for the screen size.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site
Didn't feel bulky at all to me. The bezels are relatively small and I don't mind sacrificing some real estate for front facing speakers. LG V30 looks nice, but can't force myself to buy another LG after my bootloop experiences on mine and my fiancée's phone. But if the V30 had stock Android with quick updates a day security patches, I'd be all over it.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The new Pixels are much more easier to grip. I did a side by side comparison of the Pixel 2 with my current Pixel and there is absolutely no contest. The newer version has a superb matte tacky coating that provides excellent grip compared to the current version.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I have the original XL, only picked it up recently as they were going for £399. Like the experience but have to admit I do think that it feels cheap and a little plasticky in the hand. Worth £399 but I'd have felt a little short-changed if I'd paid £800 or more.

There are some anecdotal reports that the 2XL feels a little hollow/light/plasticky too. Anybody actually had a play with one?
I have both the Pixel XL and the Pixel 2 XL. They are both all metal and glass phones and neither one of them feel cheap and plasticky... they both feel like nice premium devices. The big difference between the two in the feel is the pixel 2 XL has a texture to the metal back.

So I'm not sure what to tell you, if you think the original Pixel XL feels cheap and plasticky then I'm not sure what phone you are ever going to be able to hold your hand that feels premium to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2