Blue Screen Tint? Should be a Simple Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

erojas388

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
It's at extreme angles. The last gen Pixel does it too, but it's more yellow than blue. The S8 and Note 8 do it also, but there's is more red. Long story short, a whole lot of AMOLED displays do this.

Its not only at extreme angles it is at the slightest angle lets be honest here. I've seen 2 display models and 1 retail and I can tell you it made no difference. I love the phone but we cannot ignore the fact that the screen has issues.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Its not only at extreme angles it is at the slightest angle lets be honest here. I've seen 2 display models and 1 retail and I can tell you it made no difference. I love the phone but we cannot ignore the fact that the screen has issues.
Ok, I used the device for over two months and didn't notice it until it was pointed out. It's super subtle and only with certain content, barely noticeable unless you're looking for it. I never noticed it on my old Pixel either until I went looking for it, and then yep, sure enough the old Pixel does it too, but it's yellow instead of blue.

gregg37

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps this is a good side of the Pandas shipping later. My Panda is not getting here till the week before Thanksgiving. Hopefully in the meantime people are doing their returns and complaining to Google and not just here (though, I doubt it). Once we see REAL people getting production phones instead of early review/Verizon display units the story may change. Also I have a feeling as the poster said above, that it isn't as big a deal as it's made out to be. Hell, I notice something similar on my 6P and iPad Pro now that I am looking for it.

Maybe if it is a fix they can do, it'll be rectified by then. And if not, as a poster said in another thread, it'll just be "returned easy peasy."

mj0528

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
It's at extreme angles. The last gen Pixel does it too, but it's more yellow than blue. The S8 and Note 8 do it also, but there's is more red. Long story short, a whole lot of AMOLED displays do this.
My s8 has no shift at all. None!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I love how when you have your heart dead set on loving a device, that nothing will detract you, not even an obvious deficiency on a borderline $1000 phone. Yet the same people will be the ones to bash oneplus for going with a 1080p display on a $500 device or bash essential because the camera is maybe not the best. But if you want a pixel with pure android and the pixel is the only game in town you will find any excuse as to why its "not a big deal" to validate your purchase. Not everyone wants too see an ugly screen at a slight angle. A lot of people, myself included work at a desk most of the day and have my phone laying down next to me. If I want to check a text or glance over at a notification I don't want to have to pick up my phone just to avoid seeing an ugly blue tint. Cheaper devices with 2k displays don't have this issue. LG G6, Axon 7, essential, s8, etc.

Different needs for different people. I personally don't care about 1080/2k/whatever screens. I value a camera over a possible blue tint when viewing my phone at an angle any day. When using my phone I look at it so I am not so worried. Crappy pictures? That will be seen by all regardless of what they are seeing the pictures on if the phone I used can't handle taking said photos. :).

thunderup

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I mean, I preordered the thing and I plan to take delivery. If I find myself actively disliking the display after I've given myself the time to adjust to it I'll return the phone; easy peasy. That's what return policies are for. What I'm not going to do is flip out and run for the hills because other people have negative opinions- I'm a big boy, I can make up my own mind.
Same here. I will judge for myself when I have the device in hand.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I am a patient person and my device(oneplus 5) is great so I can wait another 11.5 months for the pixel 3.

I've seen enough videos from average users and feedback from reviewers from tech blogs to know the display isn't that great. It's a premium device so I get to be a little more critical than I would be.

Its amazing though the amount of people making excuses or will settle. It's not ok for a company to charge top dollar for a mediocre product

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I used the device for over two months and didn't notice it until it was pointed out. It's super subtle and only with certain content, barely noticeable unless you're looking for it.
No. It was immediately noticeable on the 2 XLs I saw at Verizon even before I picked either phone up. Every patch of what-shoulda-been white was very clearly blue (not even sorta blue). The magic is that the tint completely disappears when you're looking straight at. I'm still hoping Verizon's demo mode settings were exacerbating the problem.

It's only a matter of hours now before I see it on my own 2 XL. Woo-hoo!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No. It was immediately noticeable on the 2 XLs I saw at Verizon even before I picked either phone up. Every patch of what-shoulda-been white was very clearly blue (not even sorta blue). The magic is that the tint completely disappears when you're looking straight at. I'm still hoping Verizon's demo mode settings were exacerbating the problem.

It's only a matter of hours now before I see it on my own 2 XL. Woo-hoo!
I haven't seen the demos yet, I don't know why they'd be different. I'm kinda wondering if there's some sort of coating on it that wasn't on preproduction models. No clue really. I asked but haven't gotten an answer that makes sense to me yet.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I love how when you have your heart dead set on loving a device, that nothing will detract you, not even an obvious deficiency on a borderline $1000 phone.

Yup. I agree. This is true for some folks for sure. I think it's a natural thing.

OTOH, there is also a phenomenon where a smaller issue, sometimes one whose impact is completely subjective (and varies person to person), is repeated in a tech echo chamber to levels that make you want to bang your head.

I think there is a bit of both going on.

dannyar11

May 24, 2016
Visit site
Yup. I agree. This is true for some folks for sure. I think it's a natural thing.

OTOH, there is also a phenomenon where a smaller issue, sometimes one whose impact is completely subjective (and varies person to person), is repeated in a tech echo chamber to levels that make you want to bang your head.

I think there is a bit of both going on.

Yes, more often than not you see it more with people who will find fault in a device they were never fully intent on keeping from the get go. They will make small issues seem exaggerated for the simple excuse of giving them reason to return a device. But this pixel 2 XL blindness is mind boggling. A clear and annoying issue for a $900 device and people are fine with shrugging it off as "normal". Mine is on the way, if it bothers me ill gladly send it back and use a second hand Note 8 that can be had for $700 on swappa. Much better value for my dollar.

seb1509

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Also Google responded to the verge saying they calibrated it that way aiming for color accuracy. But they are open to adding options for different modes if they receive enough feedback.

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Also Google responded to the verge saying they calibrated it that way aiming for color accuracy. But they are open to adding options for different modes if they receive enough feedback.

Yes, they are going for color accuracy. but the Verge clearly shows the display isn't giving them what they are going for. This picture the icons should all be white.

jbareham_171013_2050_0088.jpg

anon(10271520)

Jul 5, 2017
Visit site
I love how when you have your heart dead set on loving a device, that nothing will detract you, not even an obvious deficiency on a borderline $1000 phone. Yet the same people will be the ones to bash oneplus for going with a 1080p display on a $500 device or bash essential because the camera is maybe not the best. But if you want a pixel with pure android and the pixel is the only game in town you will find any excuse as to why its "not a big deal" to validate your purchase. Not everyone wants too see an ugly screen at a slight angle. A lot of people, myself included work at a desk most of the day and have my phone laying down next to me. If I want to check a text or glance over at a notification I don't want to have to pick up my phone just to avoid seeing an ugly blue tint. Cheaper devices with 2k displays don't have this issue. LG G6, Axon 7, essential, s8, etc.

Really, really good point. People need to be more open minded about everything and not use personal bias to cover for faults. We see this all the time though, in religion, politics, sports, etc. Its human nature.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Lots of "people are delusional" posts both for and against being tossed around lately! My Panda/Stormtrooper XL is still almost a month out, so I don't know first hand, but it seems to me there are two very different types of issues that people are raising.

Some people are seeing defects in the panel - I've seen low-light all gray images that seem to have uneven lighting, and others that look great. There are also reports of seeing graininess or "dirtiness" visible in normal use, only in low lighting, and not under any circumstances. Rather than assume one or the other set of reviewers are blind (and that the online photos are faked) it seems more reasonable to me that we're seeing greater QC variability in LG OLED panels than in Samsung panels, which I suppose is to be expected given how much more mature Samsung's phone panel manufacturing is. Given that no one else has mentioned similar issues (and some reviews have really concentrated on the screen quality) I'd assume that the artifacts in the image posted by Vlad Savov are a defect specific to his panel. It suggests that when my Panda 2 XL arrives I'm going to need to check to see if I am a winner in the panel lottery.

The color saturation is a completely separate issue. If enough people complain I'm sure that Google will offer a secondary, oversaturated color mode. Now that Oreo has proper color management it shouldn't be difficult to do. I personally prefer more accurate colors, but I also work on color calibrated monitors and do extensive image editing - it's not a preference I'd expect everyone to share.

So I don't see any reason to panic. I've watched a bunch of video reviews (I'm sure many of you have too!) and I'm not seeing a screen that has major problems. Even video reviews where the reviewer is intentionally moving the phone strongly off axis (this happens in the PhoneArena review IIRC) the bluish tint does not look out of line with my current device (Nexus 6p, rocking an older Samsung panel). I do think 2XL owners might need to check their panels to make sure they got good ones, and I personally expect to like the color profile of the phone, but if not I suspect that Google will make more saturated versions available in the near future (though by all means keep asking for it if that's your preference - this is probably a "squeaky wheel gets the oil" situation).

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay