10-17-2017 11:21 AM
39 12
tools
    Some don't like the coating on the 2XL.... that it doesn't feel like metal. I don't see it or feel that way.
    Me neither. I personally loved the feel of the XL, though the one I held did have security dongles and cables attached. It certainly didn't feel cheap.
    Orion78 likes this.
    10-16-2017 03:56 PM
    Well-Well we're in a cellPhone forum, so questions canBe

on different topics. We hope the OP get satisfied with

all the comments received so far..? Stay Tuned!
    10-16-2017 09:25 PM
    I don't know what they intended by the "premium feel" marketing verbiage, but I like the sort of grippy/textured feel of the metal. It just feels good in the hand and I'm not afraid it would go the route of a slippery bar of soap, unlike other phones . . .

I agree with you @UnderAndroid about:

The coating on the back makes it so you don't even need a case. Google hasn't said that but I see what they are doing.
    I would still be afraid to use it without a case though.
    10-16-2017 09:47 PM
    People complain about phones sliding clear across a table. In some initial reviews the Pixel 2 or w XL isn't going anywhere. You can't make everyone happy. Looks like Google definitely addressed this common problem. I'm going to roll with the punches.

The coating on the back makes it so you don't even need a case. Google hasn't said that but I see what they are doing.
    I'd worry about the screen edge without a case and part of the back is glass too so not so sure I will go case less.
    Jaycemiskel likes this.
    10-16-2017 09:53 PM
    Nothing feels like $900 in my hand, except $900 in cash. All phones are fast depreciating assets. No one is going to be impressed by your "premium" feeling phone inside a fat Spigen case (or naked).
    Norg and limitbreak09 like this.
    10-16-2017 11:14 PM
    My phone won't be naked more than a few minutes, it's going to go straight from the box into a case...
    10-17-2017 05:21 AM
    People think that premium has to mean Metal or Glass. Some of the most premium and robust phones I even owned or held were Nokia Lumia's. Polycarbonate phones were gorgeous, solid and felt indestructible. But then there were Samsung's like the S3 that were plastic with painted sides to look like metal that just felt cheap for their price tag. I really wish a manufacturer would take a risk and try a well made plastic/polycarbonate phone. Even if it did have metal accents to help the aesthetics
    10-17-2017 07:22 AM
    People think that premium has to mean Metal or Glass. Some of the most premium and robust phones I even owned or held were Nokia Lumia's. Polycarbonate phones were gorgeous, solid and felt indestructible. But then there were Samsung's like the S3 that were plastic with painted sides to look like metal that just felt cheap for their price tag. I really wish a manufacturer would take a risk and try a well made plastic/polycarbonate phone. Even if it did have metal accents to help the aesthetics
    I loved the faux leather on the Note 4 though. Lol.
    10-17-2017 07:47 AM
    Well-Well we're in a cellPhone forum, so questions canBe

on different topics. We hope the OP get satisfied with

all the comments received so far..? Stay Tuned!
    LOL!! Well, am I satisfied with the answer? yes. I do still thnk it's the dumbest iPhone inspired verbiage to describ a cell phone, I have ever heard.

I see this happening when the Galaxy S2 came out.

Apple Guy: You phone is cheap plastic.

Samsung Guy: Actually, it's the same high impact material that football helmets are made from, my phone can stand multiple impacts and keep its form.

AG: Plastic is cheap! Metal and glass is premium!

SG: Actually, the polycarbonite is not cheap. It costs a little bit of money and it allows me keep my phone case free, just in case I need to swap my battery out.

AG: Well, iPhone has a PREMIUM FEEL!

SG: Well, I can't argue that, if it feels more premium to you, I can't argue feelings.

iZombies worldwide: PREMIUM FEEL!!!!!!!!!
    Wiley_11 and PhiPsi32 like this.
    10-17-2017 08:24 AM
    I'd rather an expensive device had premium performance than perceived 'premium feel'.
    I'm not overly enamoured of aluminium and glass phones. Aluminium is softer than I'd prefer. I'd much rather phone chassis were fabricated from (IIRC) the magnesium alloy used in the old Nokia E61 - tough and light. Plastic / polycarbonate materials are far better at impact absorption. Glass on the back of something that will almost invariably be dropped at some point is just stupid.
    10-17-2017 08:43 AM
    I'd rather an expensive device had premium performance than perceived 'premium feel'.
    I'm not overly enamoured of aluminium and glass phones. Aluminium is softer than I'd prefer. I'd much rather phone chassis were fabricated from (IIRC) the magnesium alloy used in the old Nokia E61 - tough and light. Plastic / polycarbonate materials are far better at impact absorption. Glass on the back of something that will almost invariably be dropped at some point is just stupid.
    10-17-2017 08:43 AM
    Erm... not sure why that posted twice. Is there a delete button?
    10-17-2017 08:47 AM
    Just means that it feels like an expensive piece of hardware, because it is an expensive piece of hardware. The materials the exterior of the body is made of, the heft of the device etc.

Basically if you're buying a $650-$900 phone, you don't want it to feel like a cheap Fisher Price toy.

What feels premium is subjective, but generally, phones with a build of metal or glass generally are accepted as a premium feeling device. I'd argue that the plastic Nokia Lumia phones also felt great, but I think a lot of people are against the notion of plastic and associate that with cheap.
    Very good explanation!
    10-17-2017 09:11 AM
    Sigh. I guess some can't simply have a discussion without trying to insult / belittle others who don't share the same phone choice. It is a pity since discussions are fun but some must "feel superior!" so they jump on the belittle / be a jerk to others train.

Sorry everyone!
    Wiley_11 likes this.
    10-17-2017 11:21 AM
39 12