"Premium Feel"???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This all sounds so ridiculous and pretentious to me. The way a phone feels in your hand? That sounds as dumb as the iPhone being a precious gem.

The carbonite Samung phones didn't get scratched and dented like my Pixel did, and my Pixel lives in a case, every day, I found a dent in the back when I went to sell it.

I see iPhones all the time that look like they have been in a crash test dummy's pocket.

So, premium feel means made of fragile materials that hipsters can talk about. Oh dood! Luk at mah kewl phone! iZ gud! itZ glss!!!

Everyone has different opinions when it comes to feel. This isn't something new to the world so I am not sure why you are so shocked. People say coats, clothes, etc. have "premium" feel. Car seats have "premium" feel in certain models. Does everyone agree they are premium? Nope. Some people may like one thing whereas another says its bad.

It's fine if you don't agree but your opinion doesn't mean everyone else is wrong because they simply disagree with you :p.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Premium
Noun
Definition 2: A sum added to an ordinary price or charge
Definition 2.2: (as modifier) Relating to or denoting a commodity of superior quality and therefore a higher price.

Feel
Noun
Definition 2: A sensation given by an object or material when touched

So if I were going to attempt to synthesize these two definitions, I would guess that "premium feel" means: the object or material, in this case a phone, provides the user with a sensation that implies to them that the object or material is of a superior quality, and is likely either more expensive or of higher quality than other options which do not provide said sensation.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Premium is very subjective so I think that's the issue some people have with calling devices premium and saying so and so phone is more premium than the other guy. If it's subject you can't make statements like this. Yes people will say things like well aluminum and glass IS more premium than cheap plastic, but again, it's all subjective. I have no problem with people saying what they like and acknowledging that the aluminum and glass phones are considered nicer to hold and look at by many people, but I still think premium is very subjective.

That's one thing that irks me, the Pixel 2 XL IS made of Aluminum and glass!

I am not bothered by its light weight, in fact I really like that.

So, if some feel the Pixel 2 XL isn't premium enough for them, I wish them luck finding a phone they like. It's plenty premium to me!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
That's one thing that irks me, the Pixel 2 XL IS made of Aluminum and glass!

I am not bothered by its light weight, in fact I really like that.

So, if some feel the Pixel 2 XL isn't premium enough for them, I wish them luck finding a phone they like. It's plenty premium to me!

Some don't like the coating on the 2XL.... that it doesn't feel like metal. I don't see it or feel that way.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Some don't like the coating on the 2XL.... that it doesn't feel like metal. I don't see it or feel that way.

Me neither. I personally loved the feel of the XL, though the one I held did have security dongles and cables attached. It certainly didn't feel cheap.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: Well-Well we're in a cellPhone forum, so questions canBe

on different topics. We hope the OP get satisfied with

all the comments received so far..? Stay Tuned!

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I don't know what they intended by the "premium feel" marketing verbiage, but I like the sort of grippy/textured feel of the metal. It just feels good in the hand and I'm not afraid it would go the route of a slippery bar of soap, unlike other phones . . .

I agree with you @UnderAndroid about:

The coating on the back makes it so you don't even need a case. Google hasn't said that but I see what they are doing.

I would still be afraid to use it without a case though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
People complain about phones sliding clear across a table. In some initial reviews the Pixel 2 or w XL isn't going anywhere. You can't make everyone happy. Looks like Google definitely addressed this common problem. I'm going to roll with the punches.

The coating on the back makes it so you don't even need a case. Google hasn't said that but I see what they are doing.

I'd worry about the screen edge without a case and part of the back is glass too so not so sure I will go case less.

openwheelracing

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Nothing feels like $900 in my hand, except $900 in cash. All phones are fast depreciating assets. No one is going to be impressed by your "premium" feeling phone inside a fat Spigen case (or naked).

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
People think that premium has to mean Metal or Glass. Some of the most premium and robust phones I even owned or held were Nokia Lumia's. Polycarbonate phones were gorgeous, solid and felt indestructible. But then there were Samsung's like the S3 that were plastic with painted sides to look like metal that just felt cheap for their price tag. I really wish a manufacturer would take a risk and try a well made plastic/polycarbonate phone. Even if it did have metal accents to help the aesthetics

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
People think that premium has to mean Metal or Glass. Some of the most premium and robust phones I even owned or held were Nokia Lumia's. Polycarbonate phones were gorgeous, solid and felt indestructible. But then there were Samsung's like the S3 that were plastic with painted sides to look like metal that just felt cheap for their price tag. I really wish a manufacturer would take a risk and try a well made plastic/polycarbonate phone. Even if it did have metal accents to help the aesthetics
I loved the faux leather on the Note 4 though. Lol.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
:cool: Well-Well we're in a cellPhone forum, so questions canBe

on different topics. We hope the OP get satisfied with

all the comments received so far..? Stay Tuned!

LOL!! Well, am I satisfied with the answer? yes. I do still thnk it's the dumbest iPhone inspired verbiage to describ a cell phone, I have ever heard.

I see this happening when the Galaxy S2 came out.

Apple Guy: You phone is cheap plastic.

Samsung Guy: Actually, it's the same high impact material that football helmets are made from, my phone can stand multiple impacts and keep its form.

AG: Plastic is cheap! Metal and glass is premium!

SG: Actually, the polycarbonite is not cheap. It costs a little bit of money and it allows me keep my phone case free, just in case I need to swap my battery out.

AG: Well, iPhone has a PREMIUM FEEL!

SG: Well, I can't argue that, if it feels more premium to you, I can't argue feelings.

iZombies worldwide: PREMIUM FEEL!!!!!!!!!

TheMightyTM

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
I'd rather an expensive device had premium performance than perceived 'premium feel'.
I'm not overly enamoured of aluminium and glass phones. Aluminium is softer than I'd prefer. I'd much rather phone chassis were fabricated from (IIRC) the magnesium alloy used in the old Nokia E61 - tough and light. Plastic / polycarbonate materials are far better at impact absorption. Glass on the back of something that will almost invariably be dropped at some point is just stupid.

TheMightyTM

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
I'd rather an expensive device had premium performance than perceived 'premium feel'.
I'm not overly enamoured of aluminium and glass phones. Aluminium is softer than I'd prefer. I'd much rather phone chassis were fabricated from (IIRC) the magnesium alloy used in the old Nokia E61 - tough and light. Plastic / polycarbonate materials are far better at impact absorption. Glass on the back of something that will almost invariably be dropped at some point is just stupid.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just means that it feels like an expensive piece of hardware, because it is an expensive piece of hardware. The materials the exterior of the body is made of, the heft of the device etc.

Basically if you're buying a $650-$900 phone, you don't want it to feel like a cheap Fisher Price toy.

What feels premium is subjective, but generally, phones with a build of metal or glass generally are accepted as a premium feeling device. I'd argue that the plastic Nokia Lumia phones also felt great, but I think a lot of people are against the notion of plastic and associate that with cheap.

Very good explanation!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sigh. I guess some can't simply have a discussion without trying to insult / belittle others who don't share the same phone choice. It is a pity since discussions are fun but some must "feel superior!" so they jump on the belittle / be a jerk to others train.

Sorry everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie