"Premium Feel"???

Status
Not open for further replies.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
What is this crap about? I have seen this junk no less that every thread posted about this phone?

What does "premium feel" mean? I am not trolling, it's very annoying to me.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Just means that it feels like an expensive piece of hardware, because it is an expensive piece of hardware. The materials the exterior of the body is made of, the heft of the device etc.

Basically if you're buying a $650-$900 phone, you don't want it to feel like a cheap Fisher Price toy.

What feels premium is subjective, but generally, phones with a build of metal or glass generally are accepted as a premium feeling device. I'd argue that the plastic Nokia Lumia phones also felt great, but I think a lot of people are against the notion of plastic and associate that with cheap.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
What is this crap about? I have seen this junk no less that every thread posted about this phone?

What does "premium feel" mean? I am not trolling, it's very annoying to me.

Basically metal or glass backs. Off course the downside to "premium feeling" phones is the loss of removable backs and batteries. Do you recall when Samsung made plastic phones and lots of people swore off Samsung if they didn't do like Apple and make a "premium feeling" phone. Well Samsung and HTC saw the writing on the wall and switched to glass and metal. Of course even budget and mid range phones use metal and glass. The Moto g5 plus feels "premium" to me and it costs $200.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
To me, premium feel simply means that it feels exceptionally well constructed. Buttons have good tactile response with no loose 'wiggle,' phone body is solid with no creaking it forcing under moderate pressure, and seams are tight. I've held metal, glass, and plastic body phones that feel premium, and held devices of each that don't, so don't rule out a material based on prejudice.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
To me, premium feel simply means that it feels exceptionally well constructed. Buttons have good tactile response with no loose 'wiggle,' phone body is solid with no creaking it forcing under moderate pressure, and seams are tight. I've held metal, glass, and plastic body phones that feel premium, and held devices of each that don't, so don't rule out a material based on prejudice.
The problem is the reviewers and the public who start to believe those people and this causing a blunt in sales. Personally I prefer the Lumia builds against today's phones. I hope Nokia will make those again.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The problem is the reviewers and the public who start to believe those people and this causing a blunt in sales. Personally I prefer the Lumia builds against today's phones. I hope Nokia will make those again.

Every phone gets bashed and praised in reviews. Most people don't did that deep into them... The majority of sales are made to those buying on brand and advertising - Google's in a great spot for name recognition, with the camera accolades helping them a lot; the main obstacle to them is their being overshadowed in the phone business due to their relatively recent market entry and substantially smaller advertising budgets when compared to the behemoths of the industry.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
This all sounds so ridiculous and pretentious to me. The way a phone feels in your hand? That sounds as dumb as the iPhone being a precious gem.

The carbonite Samung phones didn't get scratched and dented like my Pixel did, and my Pixel lives in a case, every day, I found a dent in the back when I went to sell it.

I see iPhones all the time that look like they have been in a crash test dummy's pocket.

So, premium feel means made of fragile materials that hipsters can talk about. Oh dood! Luk at mah kewl phone! iZ gud! itZ glss!!!

polbit

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
The funny part is that most of the people that talk about how "premium" a phone feels proceed to stick it in a case the day they get it, and hide the "premium" from the beginning.

Having said that, comparing 2XL vs V30 side-by-side, there is no question to me which one looks better. I just know that no matter what, it will live in a case, so the screen is all I'll be seeing.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
This all sounds so ridiculous and pretentious to me. The way a phone feels in your hand? That sounds as dumb as the iPhone being a precious gem.

The carbonite Samung phones didn't get scratched and dented like my Pixel did, and my Pixel lives in a case, every day, I found a dent in the back when I went to sell it.

I see iPhones all the time that look like they have been in a crash test dummy's pocket.

So, premium feel means made of fragile materials that hipsters can talk about. Oh dood! Luk at mah kewl phone! iZ gud! itZ glss!!!

I don't think you're fully understanding. To me, "feel in the hand" is extremely important. This means how does the phone fit in your hand and how does it feel? Does it feel bulky, too thin, too light, too heavy, too wide?? My opinion, the pixel 2 felt much more comfy in my hand compared to the XL 2. Reasons being are that the xl2 is too light weight for such a large phone. It has no weight to it, I felt uneasy holding it and that made it felt cheaply made to me. The pixel 2 felt great in my hand, it was easy to hold, felt very comfortable using one handed if I had to and had a nice weight distribution to it. Again this is all subjective, but to better explain some people's view points when they say it doesn't feel premium...

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you're fully understanding. To me, "feel in the hand" is extremely important.

I agree completely. Depending on the day, I reach for my phone a dozen, fifty, a hundred times a day and I don't want to be disappointed or resent the device every time I pick it up. This is especially important as it seems I keep my phones for 1.5 - 2 years.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Premium is very subjective so I think that's the issue some people have with calling devices premium and saying so and so phone is more premium than the other guy. If it's subject you can't make statements like this. Yes people will say things like well aluminum and glass IS more premium than cheap plastic, but again, it's all subjective. I have no problem with people saying what they like and acknowledging that the aluminum and glass phones are considered nicer to hold and look at by many people, but I still think premium is very subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith