What Do You DISlike About 2 XL?

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The Verizon expert at Best Buy allowed me to unbox the Pixel 2 XL because he didn't have it out on display yet and he wanted to see it and we were both disappointed with the display. I love how light and easy to hold the device is, but that screen left a lot to be desired.

It's too bad.

Yeah it's a shame because I was really looking forward to the new pixel after leaving the first gen for iOS. I'm bored with iOS again but will not leave for an $850 phone that has not on par screen quality.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The Pixel XL uses AMOLED, not P-OLED like the Pixel 2 XL, so...
P-OLED is AMOLED. And I'm pretty sure that Samsung AMOLED displays are also P-OLED. They're not mutually exclusive terms. And proper color calibration doesn't depend upon the type of display.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The Verizon expert at Best Buy allowed me to unbox the Pixel 2 XL because he didn't have it out on display yet and he wanted to see it and we were both disappointed with the display. I love how light and easy to hold the device is, but that screen left a lot to be desired.

It's too bad.

"Verizon expert" lol. Sorry that just sounds so weird to me :p.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Since it's the Internet and everyone complains on the Internet, I wish the display corners weren't as rounded.

There, I complained about something.

:p

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Although I prefer oversaturated color and extreme brightness I find I grow totally used to any device screen I use on a daily basis for a couple of days. Of course if I were to compare it to another screen every day that sensory adaptation might never occur.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Well there are reviews and display units out there or maybe just a feature that is missing or you don't like.

Reviews tell me what other people don't like about the phone.

What may seem like a missing feature or something I don't like may turn out to be something I don't mind when it comes to actually using the phone myself.

johnnysd

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I am praying this is something that can be fixed via a software update.

I was able to do that on the Pixel 2 XL in the Verizon store by just expanding it like a webpage. It recognized what I wanted and filled the screen, even stated it was doing it.

I sort of DISLIKE the display. It is very good but the blue shift is really annoying. The colors I think you would get used to it is like calibrating a TV, accurate colors look dull compared to the technicolor infernos they turn floor units into on the floor. But in store the regular Pixel 2 display looks better. 5" is too small for me though.

I REALLY DISLIKE no headphone jack. Regardless of what nice argument the engineers had for abandoning it, marketing should have told them it was a 100% requirement.

I DISLIKE the 18:9 thing. It is better than the 18.5:9 of the Samsungs but is so unnecessary. Tall skinny phones are more unwieldy.

I LOVE most everything else. I think I am going to stick with it. The Pixel Experience (it is NOT really stock android) guaranteed updates, and that camera are enough to elevate it over all the phones.

Personally I think Google made a mistake. They are not the sexiest phones to begin with so the designs should have no compromise in terms of hardware so the FOCUS will only be on the software experience they are developing. The product requirements from marketing should have said, "keep it as small as possible, but the phone will have a 3.5mm jack, flash socket, IP68, wireless charging, no glass back, and look at ways to have a removable battery so it can have the biggest battery possible"

erojas388

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Just cancelled my 2 xl pre-order. Sucks because I really like the phone but I just could not get used to that screen. I tried 2 display models and 1 retail and there is no difference whatsoever. It feels like a downgrade from my u11. If the screen doesn't matter to you then you'll be getting a great phone. Unfortunately I just cannot spend $1000 on a phone that has a screen that looks identical to a cheap $100 metro pcs phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Personally I think Google made a mistake. They are not the sexiest phones to begin with so the designs should have no compromise in terms of hardware so the FOCUS will only be on the software experience they are developing. The product requirements from marketing should have said, "keep it as small as possible, but the phone will have a 3.5mm jack, flash socket, IP68, wireless charging, no glass back, and look at ways to have a removable battery so it can have the biggest battery possible"

I would fire every member of that product team if they made those the requirements. Wireless charging is the only thing from that list that's even debatable on whether or not it's a value add.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm not familiar with the Pixel settings menu but is there any display settings similar to Samsung and LG that allow you to change the saturation and colour modes? I'm almost set on getting the 2 XL soon and the screen issue doesn't bother me that much but from YouTube videos comparing it with other screens, even the smaller Pixel 2 the blue tint really does seem apparent

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Just cancelled my 2 xl pre-order. Sucks because I really like the phone but I just could not get used to that screen. I tried 2 display models and 1 retail and there is no difference whatsoever. It feels like a downgrade from my u11. If the screen doesn't matter to you then you'll be getting a great phone. Unfortunately I just cannot spend $1000 on a phone that has a screen that looks identical to a cheap $100 metro pcs phone.

Cancelled the 2XL order last night after watching/reading the AC review. At over $1,000 US, that's too much to spend, particularly when my Pixel works fine and the screen is great. If later on the screen concerns are solved, then I may reconsider.

erojas388

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Cancelled the 2XL order last night after watching/reading the AC review. At over $1,000 US, that's too much to spend, particularly when my Pixel works fine and the screen is great. If later on the screen concerns are solved, then I may reconsider.

Absolutely. I really hope they can fix it through software. If so, then I will definitely get it. But something tells me its the hardware.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site

Don't they have a no regrets return policy?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon