Pixel 2 XL Screen Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkNeo

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Got the XL waiting for me at home. I should be feeling joy, but I definitely feel deflated. I just ordered a regular Pixel 2 for delivery next week. I'll decide if it goes back after some use tonight.

swivvle

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site
Just got my 2 XL , and I HATE the screen. Color shift while typing, that's ridiculous! Its sooo bad. My 6p screen is much better and that isn't saying much. Posting video to youtube shortly.

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site

I think Samsung has really just changed the way we look at smartphone screens. Nowadays, everyone compares displays to Samsung's. Very bright. Very vibrant. If it's not that. It's subpar.

That being said...watching this video and seeing them side by side is a buzzkill. I don't know what changes he made to the Note 8's screen (he mentions he changed the settings). I don't know if the Pixel is just on a lower brightness setting or what, but it just pales (no pun intended) in comparison. Why oh why did Google not give us the ability to calibrate the colors and warmth to our liking? Come on Google...

Is there a third party app that can be downloaded to change color calibration?

swivvle

Oct 18, 2017
Visit site

Larzuk

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Let me ask you all this...If this spreads like wildfire and people begin cancelling and returning their phones, Is it technically possible and within Google's ability to push out an emergency update? Or is this beyond their ability to fix through a patch?

seb1509

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Let me ask you all this...If this spreads like wildfire and people begin cancelling and returning their phones, Is it technically possible and within Google's ability to push out an emergency update? Or is this beyond their ability to fix through a patch?
They could fix the color saturation and color profile. That's issue number one.

The second issue is the blue tint at a slight angle. Even when you type or wobble your phone to reach different screen areas you'll noticeable see the color temperature of your display change. It's mostly noticeable on white background but also slightly noticeable on videos and other content

gnahc79

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

The blue tint thing seems like a hardware issue specific to LG, so no software patch can address that IMO. Dunno about the other display issues.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Setting up my new pixel 2 xl right now...

Few impressions the build quality is fine. But the screen leaves a lot to be desired I'm not super picky when it comes to screens. But the color shift is VERY noticeable. So noticeable that you won't be able to not see it. It's not an issue you look for... It's there.

Also, the screen just is not the best colors look so weird. I can easily tell on emojis. I am coming from the original pixel XL. I REALLY wanted to love this phone. But I'm not sure I'll be keeping it. I just see waves of blue and warm White whenever I'm typing and move my head a bit or even when I maneuver the phone to tap stuff up high.

Maybe I'll get used it it in a week. But it definitely doesn't have a wow factor :/ and it should!!!!!

The screen also looks different... Reminds me of the screen on the LG G6 (which I owned for about 10 days)

Also, not sure if this is common with front facing speakers. But if I play music at medium to high level I can totally feel the music on the screen when I tap stuff. It's kind of obnoxious.

Take you OG Pixel XL and turn on the sRGB and tell us how they compare....

Does the Vivid mode on the Pixel 2 XL increase the color depth?

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think Google can fix a poor quality screen with a software update. Poled has an organic substance that is difficult to manufacture and batches come out in varying degrees of quality. LG has some learning to do

prakash99

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
I must be the only who is not bothered by the blue tint, which I don't even notice the most of the time. And the only one who is fine with the color saturation (or lack thereof). I have been playing with my new toy for more than two hours and I have not found anything that bothers me.

It's all down to personal preference, I guess.

Armeniandave

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Just turned on basic mode for my S8+ and the colors are definitely more muted. Very similar to the XL 2. So the srgb could probably be fixed but there will still be some blue tint at angles.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: sRGB setting in Developer Options

Has anyone gone into the Developer Options and checked to see if the sRGB switch is turned on? Maybe if it's on by default, we can get those punchy vibrant colors we've grown to love on our OLED screens by just simply turning it off!
I see no sRGB controls in Developer Options or in the System UI, which is essentially worthless.

I can say, though, that my perception of the XL's display is markedly different now that I am at home. When I last posted, I was at work where the fluorescent lighting is especially harsh. Now, at home, with the ambient lighting fairly modest, I swear to God, the phone looks fine. It is currently parked on a charging stand, so there's no way I can be looking at it head on, and the Settings pages look perfectly white. If I move to look at it from a severe sideways angle, a modest blue blush becomes apparent, but nothing as obvious as the sky blue pall I was seeing at work.

What's going on, I don't know. The only thing I did other than relocate to a dimmer environment was put the phone in the cheap-o leather flip case I bought for it. The difference in the look of the display is dramatic. The only bluish tinge I see is consistent with what I saw from my Nexus 6 and 6P when I tilted them at a severe angle. :confused: :eek: :-

AgentRedlum

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Just stopped by Verizon. Can confirm the color shift to blue is BAD. I'd agree this is a hardware problem.

Not sure if I'll cancel my order or not. I'm coming from a Pixel XL, and from straight on the colors looked great to me on the XL2. If the shift on the 2 was only at more extreme angles I wouldn't care. But things change almost immediately if you are looking at it from any angle other than straight on. Ugh.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
This was a clip I pulled off you tube. That looks bad to me. I hope mine doesn't look like that.
53f95c9b20b16693a1be9ad624944f53.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante