Pixel 2 XL Screen Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I figure we have TONS of threads popping up so I am going to make a master one -- This way we don't have 10 threads on the same subject :).

Thanks all!

DarkNeo

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Seeing all these "The Pixel 2 XL could have been the best phone" topics breaks my heart...

Why Google? Why? Why didn't anyone say anything from the hands on after the presentation???

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
i just got mine. I'm setting it up right now. It's a keeper! Yeah, I can see the off-axis blue. Hell, I can even see it head-on for now on all-white pages. It's still a beautiful screen despite its shortcomings. I believe I'll get used to the tint, and I'm sure to theme it with Swift Black eventually anyway.

Incidentallly, I think turning off Vivid Colors helps to cut back on the blue a leeeeeeeeeeeeetle bit. So there's that.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I've looked at these phones twice and found no discernable issue. I'll try a third store and then I'll get my eyes checked for color accuracy.

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Can you show image? Not a good sign if you can see blue head on. I'm not settling for mediocrity for that price. I ended up cancelling my preorder.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm also not buying the tuning explanation from Google. Vlad could have even compared the Pixel 2 XL to the smaller 2 to demonstrate the differences in Hue alone. Why would google tune the two phones differently?

This to me is akin to the days of Samsung's Display lottery when it came to uniformity and hue.

Dominator81

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Pixel 2 today, the small one... when I compared a picture taken on my note 8 on my Pixel XL from last year and the Pixel 2 side-by-side with the brightness turned all way up on both, I haven't been able to find any noticeable differences or discoloration.

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Seeing all these "The Pixel 2 XL could have been the best phone" topics breaks my heart...

Why Google? Why? Why didn't anyone say anything from the hands on after the presentation???

Because people dont look for subtle hue changes immediately after a new phone is announced. And I think it may be an unwritten law not to bash a phone during that first hands on as Ive never seen anyone say anything bad about any phone at one of those announcements.

Larzuk

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
If it's as bad as people are saying, I find it crazy that of all the early review videos I've seen of the larger Pixel 2, Noone mentions just how dated and odd the screen appears.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
(somewhat) shrinking my comments from a closed thread; there seem to be different issues here:

Flawed panels: Visible "dirt" or "grain" artifacts on solid colored backgrounds, whatever is happening on Vlad Savov's panel. - Many reviewers and videos/photos don't show these, so it seems like LG is having more QC variability than Samsung's more mature panels. Make sure your 2XL screen looks good when you receive it.

Color balance: The colors look accurate to me, but people often prefer saturated colors over accuracy. Since Oreo has true color management built in, it should be easy for Google to other color profiles via software update, so just keep asking for it.

Off-axis blue shift: Clearly a real thing (visible in most reviews). Offhand it looks similar to what I see on my Nexus 6p, but that's in person and not on a video, so I'll have to wait for mine to see. Anyhow, only you can decide how important off-angle color shift is to you and whether it's too severe for your needs.

So I don't see that the sky is falling unless you lose the QC lottery, in which case I'd definitely say to send it back. If the sRGB color profile is not to your liking, definitely send your feedback to Google so they put out a punchy, oversaturated version.

Cheers!

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I just got the Pixel 2 today, the small one... when I compared a picture taken on my note 8 on my Pixel XL from last year and the Pixel 2 side-by-side with the brightness turned all way up on both, I haven't been able to find any noticeable differences or discoloration.

The smaller pixel doesn’t involve it. Just the 2XL

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I have one picture I took at the Verizon store. My boyfriend noticed right away that the “big one” was blue towards the top right and then more white towards the bottom left. He is not a techie and just went with me because I wanted to see it. Still want mine and I’ll see if that bothers me or not in day to day use if it has a problem.
17fcff95196d454a0636fd6fa2b89446.jpg

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
(somewhat) shrinking my comments from a closed thread; there seem to be different issues here:

Flawed panels: Visible "dirt" or "grain" artifacts on solid colored backgrounds, whatever is happening on Vlad Savov's panel. - Many reviewers and videos/photos don't show these, so it seems like LG is having more QC variability than Samsung's more mature panels. Make sure your 2XL screen looks good when you receive it.

Color balance: The colors look accurate to me, but people often prefer saturated colors over accuracy. Since Oreo has true color management built in, it should be easy for Google to other color profiles via software update, so just keep asking for it.

Off-axis blue shift: Clearly a real thing (visible in most reviews). Offhand it looks similar to what I see on my Nexus 6p, but that's in person and not on a video, so I'll have to wait for mine to see. Anyhow, only you can decide how important off-angle color shift is to you and whether it's too severe for your needs.

So I don't see that the sky is falling unless you lose the QC lottery, in which case I'd definitely say to send it back. If the sRGB color profile is not to your liking, definitely send your feedback to Google so they put out a punchy, oversaturated version.

Cheers!

Funny thing: I just set my Note 8 to the basic screen mode, which is close to the tuning of the pixel, and there is a noticeable blue shift when tilting off axis. It's not bothersome in the slightest, but it's noticeable when you have the light theme set up on Gboard.

One thing is also for certain; with all the complaints about the screen I'd wager Google's next update will include a more vivid "vivid" mode.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have one picture I took at the Verizon store. It’s straight on. My boyfriend noticed right away that the “big one” was blue towards the top right and then more white towards the bottom left. He is not a techie and just went with me because I wanted to see it. Still want mine and I’ll see if that bothers me or not in day to day use if it has a problem. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171018/17fcff95196d454a0636fd6fa2b89446.jpg

That's not straight on, that's at an angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy