How will you transfer your info to Pixel 2/Pixel 2 XL from your old phone?

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
In the past I have used the Backup from Nova Launcher...

Anyone feel there is a better way? I am interested in how folks are doing it.

Anyone think a clean install of everything manually is better?

cyndie1030

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Pixel XL from Google for free a month ago and connected my Nexus 6P to it using their transfer tool they include with the Pixel and I was blown away. Took maybe 10 minutes and everything was there. Home screens set up the same, wallpaper was already on there, every app I had on the phone (but not every app I ever had like other phones have done), call history, texts, MMS messages, everything. All I had to do was relog into some apps like Android Pay and my banking app.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
part of the reason I love a new phone is because I like to set it up "as new". so fresh and so clean.... lol

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I used Google Cloud to sync settings and accounts, but not apps. I wanted to pick and choose apps myself so I get the 'clean' install feeling.

There was an option to connect your old phone to the new Pixel 2 via USB cable, but I didn't go that route

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I just got a Pixel XL from Google for free a month ago and connected my Nexus 6P to it using their transfer tool they include with the Pixel and I was blown away. Took maybe 10 minutes and everything was there. Home screens set up the same, wallpaper was already on there, every app I had on the phone (but not every app I ever had like other phones have done), call history, texts, MMS messages, everything. All I had to do was relog into some apps like Android Pay and my banking app.

How does that work? NFC? Cable? Does a cable for it come in the box?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
How does that work? NFC? Cable? Does a cable for it come in the box?
You can use the cable for the charger. There's also a USB-C to USB-A adapter in the box if your old phone doesn't have USB-C. I just used a cloud backup of my Nexus 6 and deleted the apps I didn't need.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
You can use the cable for the charger. There's also a USB-C to USB-A adapter in the box if your old phone doesn't have USB-C. I just used a cloud backup of my Nexus 6 and deleted the apps I didn't need.
I am missing how that would work, are we using a PC for it? Otherwise it would take a Micro usb to USB c...Or is it a female usb A?

Ok I googled it...Looks like a USB c to female USB A and you plug a micro usb into the old phone and USB A end into the adapter...

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I am missing how that would work, are we using a PC for it? Otherwise it would take a Micro usb to USB c...Or is it a female usb A?
I think you just connect the two phones with the cable and follow whatever instructions show up. It's an early stage in the new set-up process; I remember seeing a page that basically read, "We'll wait here while you go find your old phone and connect it." I just opted out of doing that cuz I'm used to doing cloud backups.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
In the past I've always just use the Google Cloud backup but that doesn't bring over text messages and call history and stuff like that and it doesn't always bring back your home screens the way they were. I don't necessarily care about bringing over text messages and call history because purging that actually helps speed up your phone.

But this time going from my pixel XL to the pixel 2 XL I used the C to C cable and connected to two phones together and did the device transfer. It brought everything over from my old Pixel, including the alarms I have set, and set everything up almost identical... it worked very slick. The only thing it didn't do was set up my ringtones and notifications the same... this is kind of understandable since none of the system notification and ringtones are the same as the old pixel, although I don't think I was using any of the system ones.

rinconmike

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
In the past I've always just use the Google Cloud backup but that doesn't bring over text messages and call history and stuff like that and it doesn't always bring back your home screens the way they were. I don't necessarily care about bringing over text messages and call history because purging that actually helps speed up your phone.

But this time going from my pixel XL to the pixel 2 XL I used the C to C cable and connected to two phones together and did the device transfer. It brought everything over from my old Pixel, including the alarms I have set, and set everything up almost identical... it worked very slick. The only thing it didn't do was set up my ringtones and notifications the same... this is kind of understandable since none of the system notification and ringtones are the same as the old pixel, although I don't think I was using any of the system ones.
I was debating on doing that and wound up setting up as a new device. I used Verizon cloud to restore phone logs and message, but it gave me duplicates on messages so I deleted the messages and use sms backup. Kind of a pain but did not want to go back to set up some apps since I already set up like Nine for two exchange accounts and IP Cam viewer.

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I was debating on doing that and wound up setting up as a new device. I used Verizon cloud to restore phone logs and message, but it gave me duplicates on messages so I deleted the messages and use sms backup. Kind of a pain but did not want to go back to set up some apps since I already set up like Nine for two exchange accounts and IP Cam viewer.
I did not have any duplication of messages, it worked very well for that. The other thing it didn't do was bring over any of my other accounts like exchange. I also use Nine with exchange and I had to set up my account again, along with other accounts like Facebook. Not a big deal but just something I noticed.

The device transfer tool was very slick and saved a lot of time... it would be nice if it gave me the option to pick which apps I want to bring over like the cloud backup does... but with how quick this device transfer tool works I think you would be better off going back and uninstalling any apps you want to get rid of than to use the cloud backup to restore your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781