Pixel 2 (NON-XL) Owners Club Reviews

openwheelracing

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Pixel 2 none Xl Owners Club Reviews

My 6P would likely be at 50-60% after all that - especially with nav. Was the screen on the whole time using navigation?

I also wonder if you're seeing some of the effects of a new battery versus one with unknown amount of wear on your original Pixel.
Screen was off except when I squeeze to change songs and mess with Assistant. Maybe 15- 20% of my drive time

My Pixel is barely 3 weeks old (it was a refurb unit from Asurion though). I thought it had great battery life already cause I got over 4 hr SOT consistently.

BTW I don't have a ton of apps. As bare as possible is how I run my phone.

sixty_four

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site

Screen was off except when I squeeze to change songs and mess with Assistant. Maybe 15- 20% of my drive time

My Pixel is barely 3 weeks old (it was a refurb unit from Asurion though). I thought it had great battery life already cause I got over 4 hr SOT consistently.

BTW I don't have a ton of apps. As bare as possible is how I run my phone.

Thanks for the extra details. SOT with nav is a huge battery suck on my 6P but more of a moot point since I can now use Android Auto.

I'm planning on going barebones as well. Which is relative since it seems like I have a ton of apps on my 6P.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it appears the Pixel 2 has the same "knock to wake" as some other LG phones have. If you tap the screen three times it'll wake up. Handy when it's in a cradle or a mount. Also, the "squeeze" thing does work through a TPU case.

openwheelracing

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Update
eaaa2c3476ee985013b1ea54b1f47832.jpg

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Got mine today. Have an XL due mid November that I may cancel.

Initial impressions, underwhelmed with the screen, nothing wrong with it just that by coincidence I had the stock live wallpaper installed on my S8+ and the difference was immediately obvious when I powered on the pixel 2. Trying to park that for now as so far it is super smooth and feels very nice in the hand.

Cherenkov

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I definitely miss the headphone jack and wireless charging (kinda bummed it only comes with a 3 foot usb c cable but luckily they're cheap). Phone is definitely very fast and snappy.

Here's an odd gripe. There's a rather loud tone when you end a call. It's VERY loud if you were on speakerphone at the time. There's probably some setting to change that.

In the hand it's noticeably lighter than my S7. Those headphone jacks must really weigh a lot.

vzwuser76

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Got mine today, started setup 58 minutes ago, screen was on for 52 of those minutes, and it's sitting at 85%. That included transferring my files from my old phone, downloading 176 apps from the Playstore, and logging into my various accounts. All in all I will be very pleased with battery life if this first hour is an indication.

I read all the reviews saying the bezels are bigger and they might have shrunk the screen a bit. The screen is the exact same size, and the difference in total size is minimal (a mm or two either way). The coating on the back feels fine to me, like an anodized aluminum, more grip for sure. One thing I did notice was the front of the phones also look different color-wise. The bezels around my OG Pixel look almost medium to dark gray compared to the deep black bezels on the Pixel 2, and of course the same goes for the back as well (went with black on both my old and new Pixel and the Pixel 2 is definitely darker).

Speakers are about a wash IMHO, maybe slightly louder and a bit fuller sound. But given that my phone spends 95% of it's time in landscape mode, I'll be ecstatic that I won't have to worry about my right hand covering the speaker, so that's a bonus.

I don't think anyone is going to have to worry about Edge being triggered when they take it out of their pocket, it takes more than just grasping it to activate.

That's about all for now. I'll play with the cameras and such this weekend as we have company coming out. But so far, I'm pleased with it.

Als1988

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site

Can anyone compare the Pixel 2 screen to the Galaxy S6... which is better? will I be downgrading the display if I get the Pixel 2?

Just made the switch from the S6 to the pixel 2 (not XL) today and am pretty bummed. This is the first time I have ever considered returning a new phone. I'm going to give it one more day, but will most likely be bringing it back tomorrow evening.

The screen is noticably smaller than the S6 (I wouldn't say a massive difference, but definitely noticeable), the "black crush" issue is real and obvious. In addition, text is EXTREMELY shaky whenever I scroll to the point that it makes my eyes hurt.

I've also noticed that some websites/apps aren't (idk what word correctly describes it) aligning(?) properly with this phone. Like...I have an app that has a fill in the black section, and the tops of words you type in the blank boxes are cut off from vision. Not enough that you can't read them, but enough to be annoying. This isn't the case with the same app on the S6.

In terms of battery life, it is...fine I guess. I have been using it non stop for hours, so it's obviously draining fast, but I am less impressed than I normally am when I get a new phone (especially when replacing a battery that was starting to fizzle out). Don't get me wrong, it works, it's not terrible. Nothing to write home about though.

Haven't made any phone calls yet so can't speak to that, and have only played around with the camera a little, so can't really give that a fair review either.

I was underwhelmed by the speakers. They are fine, but based on the reviews I've read, I was expecting exceptional.

Overall, I had high hopes and am not particularly happy. There are some good things, but I'm not not convinced they outweigh the bad (perhaps there are some settings I haven't learned yet that could mitigate some stuff, we'll see). But when it comes to the screen/display alone, Galaxy s6 is without a doubt better in my opinion.

Last edited:

Ziich47

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Can anyone compare the Pixel 2 screen to the Galaxy S6... which is better? will I be downgrading the display if I get the Pixel 2?
Last years pixel used the same type of display as the s7. The new one is as good as or better than that of last year's. Do not however that this display conforms to SRGB while ur s6 does not. Go top a Verizon store and compare before you spend a lot of money

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site

As you guys play with your phones more, please update us on battery life. I'm curious about both standby and in-use. I'd be particularly curious about how it compares to past phones you've used.

I'll give a full run down update tonight - but I can tell you weirdly the battery says 99% and I've been using the auto song find and texting for the past 2 hours. Also, the song thing works really well over the radio in side of a Jeep Wrangler with the top off going down the highway so... That's impressive.

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site

Just made the switch from the S6 to the pixel 2 (not XL) today and am pretty bummed. This is the first time I have ever considered returning a new phone. I'm going to give it one more day, but will most likely be bringing it back tomorrow evening.

The screen is noticably smaller than the S6 (I wouldn't say a massive difference, but definitely noticeable), the "black crush" issue is real and obvious. In addition, text is EXTREMELY shaky whenever I scroll to the point that it makes my eyes hurt.

I've also noticed that some websites/apps aren't (idk what word correctly describes it) aligning(?) properly with this phone. Like...I have an app that has a fill in the black section, and the tops of words you type in the blank boxes are cut off from vision. Not enough that you can't read them, but enough to be annoying. This isn't the case with the same app on the S6.

In terms of battery life, it is...fine I guess. I have been using it non stop for hours, so it's obviously draining fast, but I am less impressed than I normally am when I get a new phone (especially when replacing a battery that was starting to fizzle out). Don't get me wrong, it works, it's not terrible. Nothing to write home about though.

Haven't made any phone calls yet so can't speak to that, and have only played around with the camera a little, so can't really give that a fair review either.

I was underwhelmed by the speakers. They are fine, but based on the reviews I've read, I was expecting exceptional.

Overall, I had high hopes and am not particularly happy. There are some good things, but I'm not not convinced they outweigh the bad (perhaps there are some settings I haven't learned yet that could mitigate some stuff, we'll see). But when it comes to the screen/display alone, Galaxy s6 is without a doubt better in my opinion.

I have not seen any shaking of text. Take that app off your phone if things aren't aligning. Why would you want to use a third party app to realign your browsers display?

As for the s6 display comment. I don't think that is accurate at all. I've owned an S6, S7 and S8. Your subjective opinion is probably based on the over saturation that Galaxy line is obsessed with doing. In my opinion, this is terrible once you stop using those displays you won't want to go back. Especially if you move from a computer monitor to a phone often enough you'll see the difference.

And for the size of the screen, they are literally 2mm difference. That's almost nothing. You probably only notice it because of the bezel.

Anyway, return your phone but your opinions are clearly bias towards your galaxy which is fine.

But lets be totally honest... No one bought the pixel because they wanted the newest screen technology, bezeless trendy whatever, or because it's the most beautiful phone to look at it. They bought it because Samsungs OS is terrible and the Pixel OS is the best on the market. Period. OH yeah and the cool AI stuff that Samsung will not be able to reproduce (bixby anyone?)

Last edited:

Als1988

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site

That app was one example of several across different apps/funtions that worked well on my s6 (including some alignment issues in chrome). Also, I think you misunderstood me. I'm not using a 3rd party app to realign the browser display. The specific example I was using was a game that had nothing to do with my browser.

My problem with the screen does not have to do with saturation. It has to do with the fact that the screen scrolls no where near as smoothly as my s6 and that when watching videos with any amount of black background/movement, the quality looks like it's from 2010.

The actual screens are NOT 2mm difference. I am holding them side by side right now and would be happy to take a photo for you if you would like. The actual phones may be that size difference, but with the bezels, the screen on the pixel 2 is a solid maybe...3/4 centimeter smaller (height not diagonal), and I certainly can feel it when watching video.

Lol at assuming I'm being bias. I was DYING for this phone (and will most likely NOT return to the Galaxy). And saying 'lets be honest..we all want this phone because of x y z" has nothing to do with it. If it is true that the things I mentioned won't bother you, then fine. Get a pixel 2. I never told anyone not to. For me, it was a bit of a disappointment.

Last edited:

ndonnine

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
According to GSM Arena screens are 2.6 mm difference.
5.0 inches, 68.9 cm2 (~67.9% screen-to-body ratio) 5.1 inches, 71.5 cm2 (~70.7% screen-to-body ratio)

I'm inclined to believe them.

What you're likely seeing is that the S6 is a taller screen and thinner while the Pixel is a little wider. But yes, they are almost identical in size.

Als1988

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
Is there a way to post photos on this page? I will gladly show you. I understand what you are saying with the bezals. I am NOT including the bezals in my evaluation (as stated above)

It terms of the s6 being taller and the ratio being different. Okay. I explicitly said I was referring to the height difference as being noticeable (certainly more than 2mm difference) So......wouldn't that align with what you are saying?

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but it appears the Pixel 2 has the same "knock to wake" as some other LG phones have. If you tap the screen three times it'll wake up. Handy when it's in a cradle or a mount. Also, the "squeeze" thing does work through a TPU case.

Just tried the 3 tap on my Pixel XL and it works as well. Thanks for the tip.

serenemind

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I am bummed out. The screen is garbage compared to an iphone 7 or a Samsung S8 with similar brightness settings. Everything else is awesome. Love the pure android experience.

But not sure if I am going to hang on to this phone for very long.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon