Google Pixel 2 Camera Shots! Show Us Your Pictures

Quad150db

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Here is a corner case. Taking a pic of my screen with a Pixel 2 at home got some unexpected banding/polarization? The non-banded pic is from a Samsung S5. Ignore the resolution difference, the S5 pic was sent through Hangouts.

View attachment 271492

View attachment 271493

The larger aperture and better ISO handling of the XL is allowing for a faster shutter speed and showing the refresh rate of the monitor. Your S5 has to use a slower shutter speed so doesn't show the refresh rate.

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
15f57f18061593454a487a1213f5d0ed.jpg
92d3080afef167b0dcc21d5a24d4e405.jpg

Just a couple quick shots I took once I got the phone setup. I'll be taking some more tomorrow

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
There's definitely a vast difference from the N6 to either Pixel. I think the Pixel 2 does better than the 1st gen Pixel (though it's not highly evidenced in those shots) but there's less of a difference - also, less room for improvement. I'll try to get a few more comparative shots later today. Got a little time before I need to send my Pixel back for the trade!

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
There's definitely a vast difference from the N6 to either Pixel. I think the Pixel 2 does better than the 1st gen Pixel (though it's not highly evidenced in those shots) but there's less of a difference - also, less room for improvement.
Nice comparison shots. But I'm curious which of the shots you think is most accurate. Both Pixel shots look better--brighter, crisper and more colorful--but is the building that is washed out in the N6 pic really as vibrant yellow/green/whatever as it appears in the Pixel shots?

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I love looking at these comparison pictures. Here's what I do to analyze photos like this. On my desktop PC I right click and open each photo in a separate tab. Then click the zoom magnifying glass to get each image at its largest. Now switch from tab to tab to tab and compare shots.

It's immediately obvious that the Nexus 6P photo is the worst one. Looks cloudy, lacks contrast and lack of optical image stabilization appears evident. Just compare the image of the palm tree in the left foreground to the Pixel shots. Another area to compare is how dark and lifeless the ground floor facade of the building behind the Xfinity truck is compared to the two Pixel shots. Those columns flanking the doorway are supposed to be white, not pale blue-gray.

Comparing the original Pixel XL to the Pixel 2 Xl is a bit more challenging. The first thing I notice i the 2 XL shot is warmer. The pavement and the entire shot has a slightly red cast to it. Or else the original XL shot is cooler and has a slightly blue cast. Only the shooter of the photo can tell us if the pavement is supposed to be grayish in tint or tend to a salmon pink tint.

Otherwise the detailing in the two Pixel cameras is nearly identical. Notice the address number "27" on the lintel of the building near the Xfinity repair truck. Easily discernible in both shots. One can almost read the lettering on the back of the Xfinity truck in either Pixel shot, in fact, I can see the phone number 1-800-XFINITY on the right side of the tailgate using a little guesswork. Check out the slats in the door(?) on the side wall of the building (far right side of photo.) Also notice texture on the tree trunk of the tree just in front of the Xfinity truck. They look very good in both Pixel shots.

But the area where the Pixel 2 XL pulls slightly ahead of the original XL is in the detail of the eaves on the roof of the building extension on top of the "27" building (upper right corner of picture--the building extension with yellow siding and white trim.) Look at the underside of the eaves. There are long rectangular vents in the eaves which are just a tad clearer in the 2 XL than in the original XL. You can barely see them in the 6P picture.

Another noticeable difference is the yellow fire hydrant. The yellow is more vibrant in the 2 XL than the XL. As long as you are in that area of the photos, the grout in the red bricks a few feet up the sidewalk from the fire hydrant shows more detail in the 2 XL.

Winner, by a slight margin, and depending on color accuracy--Pixel 2 XL.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Nice comparison shots. But I'm curious which of the shots you think is most accurate. Both Pixel shots look better--brighter, crisper and more colorful--but is the building that is washed out in the N6 pic really as vibrant yellow/green/whatever as it appears in the Pixel shots?

I got some good pics of of my Nexus 6, but it was dogpoo in shots that required high dynamic range... even with HDR+.

I just looked up that building in maps... but the shot isn't at the right time of day.... I'm guessing that the yellow is goosed a bit since HDR+ would have suppressed the glare from the sun.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

The building as it appears in real life is much closer in tone to that as shown in the Pixel/Pixel 2 shots, though those are slightly oversaturated. I just stepped out and took a nice walk around downtown and captured a number of shots with each (N6/PXL/P2XL) which I'll be posting once they all upload, along with a photosphere effort and a couple of slo-mo vids.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Comparing the original Pixel XL to the Pixel 2 Xl is a bit more challenging. The first thing I notice i the 2 XL shot is warmer. The pavement and the entire shot has a slightly red cast to it. Or else the original XL shot is cooler and has a slightly blue cast. Only the shooter of the photo can tell us if the pavement is supposed to be grayish in tint or tend to a salmon pink tint.

But the area where the Pixel 2 XL pulls slightly ahead of the original XL is in the detail of the eaves on the roof of the building extension on top of the "27" building (upper right corner of picture--the building extension with yellow siding and white trim.) Look at the underside of the eaves. There are long rectangular vents in the eaves which are just a tad clearer in the 2 XL than in the original XL. You can barely see them in the 6P picture.

Another noticeable difference is the yellow fire hydrant. The yellow is more vibrant in the 2 XL than the XL. As long as you are in that area of the photos, the grout in the red bricks a few feet up the sidewalk from the fire hydrant shows more detail in the 2 XL.

Winner, by a slight margin, and depending on color accuracy--Pixel 2 XL.

D'oh! I revisited the pics and I got the 2 XL mixed up with the original XL. The original XL is warmer, shows more detail, fire hydrant is more vivid. The original XL is the pic with the car driving up the street; the 2 XL does not have a car driving up the street.

So, upon further review, the winner is original Pixel XL, depending on color accuracy.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so decided to spend my lunch break walking around a bit and getting some better mid-day shots for evolutionary comparison between the Nexus 6 (2014), Pixel XL (2016), and Pixel 2 XL (2017). Never bought the 6P, so missing that step. I tried my best to keep a steady hand and get the same shot on each, but human error will be on display with slight framing differences or motion blur.

Sets below are displayed N6 1st, Pixel XL 2nd, Pixel 2 XL 3rd. I've jotted a couple of notes in some places regarding my amateur observations and, more importantly, impressions of their respective accuracies in capturing color.

Charleston Harbor
*N6 shot was very very off here, despite a clean lens and being as still as with the other shots, so not included.

Pixel XL
Bridge PXL.jpg

Pixel 2 XL
Bridge PXL2.jpg

Rainbow Market
Noticeable difference in color of the N6/Pixel vs the Pixel 2. The Pixel 2's coloring is much closer to the true scene.

Nexus 6
Rainbow N6.jpg

Pixel XL
Rainbow PXL.jpg

Pixel 2 XL
Rainbow PXL2.jpg

Custom House

Nexus 6
Custom House N6.jpg

Pixel XL
Custom House PXL.jpg

Pixel 2 XL
Custom House PXL2.jpg

Courtyard
Here the colors are truer on the Pixels again, though the Pixel XL loses a lot of detail in the heavily shadowed areas in comparison to both the Nexus 6 and Pixel 2 XL (e.g., visibility of the grating surrounding the fountain)

Nexus 6
Courtyard N6.jpg

Pixel XL
Courtyard PXL.jpg

Pixel 2 XL
Courtyard PXL2.jpg

St. Philip's

Nexus 6
St Philips N6.jpg

Pixel XL
St Philips PXL.jpg

Pixel 2 XL
(not sure why, but it's shown as a 'thumbnail' below - along with that horrible N6 shot I mentioned earlier).

Attachments

• Bridge N6.jpg
    Bridge N6.jpg
    387.3 KB · Views: 95
  • St Philips PXL2.jpg
    St Philips PXL2.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 103

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Courtyard
Here the colors are truer on the Pixels again, though the Pixel XL loses a lot of detail in the heavily shadowed areas in comparison to both the Nexus 6 and Pixel 2 XL (e.g., visibility of the grating surrounding the fountain)

Nexus 6
View attachment 271644

Pixel XL
View attachment 271645

Pixel 2 XL
View attachment 271646

But look at the blurry mess the trees are on the right side of the N6 photo. Especially the palm tree against the yellow building.