Google Assistant Not Working Through Bluetooth

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'm seeing the exact same issue with my Pixel 2 connected to a Parrot mki9200. It wakes up, but won't hear me. Not even if I wake up the phone screen and query assistant by holding down the home button.

All my settings on the Parrot and on Assistant/Voice are set the same as my last 3 phones which all worked.

JDShoffitt

Oct 21, 2017
Visit site
I'm seeing the exact same issue with my Pixel 2 connected to a Parrot mki9200. It wakes up, but won't hear me. Not even if I wake up the phone screen and query assistant by holding down the home button.

All my settings on the Parrot and on Assistant/Voice are set the same as my last 3 phones which all worked.

On with support now to get my second replacement device (first had cosmetic damage, 2nd has the clicking noise) and neither let me talk to assistant via blue tooth headset. Google folks are telling me this is not a reported issue. Getting a bit concerned and hoping 3rd time is the charm.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I'll get on to them too, definitely the exact same issue for me. Even if I turn off recording through Bluetooth headset and hold the phone right to my mouth it can't hear me once I'm connected to a Bluetooth device, even if I use the phone to trigger the request. As soon as I disconnect it works fine.

The Fuzz 53

Apr 1, 2015
Visit site
On with support now to get my second replacement device (first had cosmetic damage, 2nd has the clicking noise) and neither let me talk to assistant via blue tooth headset. Google folks are telling me this is not a reported issue. Getting a bit concerned and hoping 3rd time is the charm.

Bull**** it's not a reported problem. I posted it on Google's Pixel forum and they contacted me to recreate the problem and send them a bug report.

cptnsmelly

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm also having this issue with the Pixel 2. Bluetooth can activate Assistant, but Assistant hears nothing. It's almost as if the mic is deactivated or something (both on the phone and the Motorola bluetooth device). This still works fine on my old galalxy s6 edge... Hopefully we get a fix soon!

hitokiri

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, should add, I am seeing the same issue. Pixel 2 with Powerbeats 3 and Powerbeats 1st gen. Will not work at all.

Same exact issue, except I have PowerBeats 2 with a Pixel 2 XL
If I hold down the multi-function button, it launches GA, but does not hear my voice.

I'm guessing it's a compatibility issue with the headset? I don't have any others to test it with except my car. But my car uses android auto.

edit:

I've also posted in that google thread and have "shared a tip" with Engadget as well. When tech sites start posting, things get noticed.

You guys should post the same tips!
https://www.engadget.com/about/tips/

Last edited:

mjwford1

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Just today I received notification that "Hey Google" was ready to be set up. So I had it "learn" my voice. Now when I say "Hey Google", it hears me through my bluetooth (Plantronics Pro). Just fyi. #Pixel2

Follow up: If I squeeze the phone, still nothing through bluetooth. Only if I say "Hey Google".

Last edited:

mjwford1

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Follow up: When I squeeze the phone or long press on Home, still nothing through the bluetooth. So to recap: phone does not hear me through bluetooth if squeezed or long pressed but it does hear me if I say "Ok Google" or "Hey Google".

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Apparently it's not fixing it. I haven't tried it personally as I don't want to run an early beta and would only do it if it was confirmed as fixing this issue.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
So this is definitely a real thing ..

On all BT devices I own, when BT is turned on, Assistant does not hear anything when I talk. It opens, but after that it acts like I am not saying anything. I hope it gets fixed soon, this blows ..

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I thought I would mention that I have found a temporary workaround for certain use cases only, but one that only works if your phone is out (not in your pocket or something). The workaround is to change the settings in Assistant to NOT listen through BT. It will at least hear your voice through your phone mic and respond - again if your phone is out. I tested this on my BT headset and in my car BT and was able to replicate it.

Obviously this is of no help to someone with their phone in their pocket tapping their headset and trying to talk to Assistant, but it is a help for me for example, when I am connected to my car BT and I can say "OK Google, navigate Home" again - with my phone out to hear me.

It's deep in the settings if you want to try it .

Assistant --> (top right) Menu --> Overflow menu (...) --> Settings --> (under "Devices") "Phone" --> Other Voice Settings --> Bluetooth Headset (Toggle OFF)

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm having this problem, too. My OG Pixel worked fine, my Pixel 2 XL Assistant can't hear me at all over Bluetooth. Even with the right settings checked in the Google Assistant app, nothing works.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Definite Bluetooth issues at hand here, active topic on Google's forum, hopefully Novembers update Will address

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, been debating to reset my phone to see if it will fix it. I will hold off now since it seems like a wider problem and Google will probably push out an update. Just don't want to go through the trouble to reset the phone.