>> Pixel 2/2 XL -positive comments thread <<

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I've been a member here at AC for years. Literally, I've been here as long as it's been in existence - dating all the way back...I've owned more phones than I can count, and I am a Android girl - to the core. I've had HTC Diamonds, LG phones, every TREO and Palm device, every single Note except the 8. I switched over to Pixel after having to return 2 Note 7's last year (like many of you). I stay pretty quiet, because a girl can seriously get her throat ripped out if I dare make a thread or a comment that I didn't "RTFM" or "do a search" for, prior to posting. I get it. Ya'll are busy. But that's what FORUMS are for, and should be WELCOMING to questions and NEW people -- it's a community. I've seen people treated very badly in AC and I keep my mouth shut because of it.

I come here in excitement to learn about my new phone, that I've dropped my hard earned money on - only to find the most incredibly negative batch of threads you can find anywhere. Cancel your preorder! This screen sucks! Wireless charging should be standard by now! Why isn't this device waterproof?! ETC.

Gah!

I'm a girl. I want my phone to do what it's supposed to do, and well. I want cute accessories. I don't give a rip about putting iPhones next to Android phones and comparing - because I'm Android. On principle, I am not going to use an iPhone, I don't care how "much better" the screen looks - nor am I going to rag on and on about how "much better" other devices are, or "how much better" other devices DO THINGS. I AM ANDROID. And I'm newly committed to the Pixel line. Just like the diehard Apple fans, I'm now a Pixel girl.

...so I'm officially starting a POSITIVE COMMENTS THREAD.

If you have something negative to say, go find the other 9000 threads to do it in.

Here's a video that I saw this morning, seems to be on the "up" side of owning the Pixel 2 line. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnqtyoeOR7c

Can we discuss the GREAT things about this phone and what's coming? I'm doing my best to avoid the "THIS SCREEN SUCKS" threads, so I hope this one stays near the top.

Thanks friends.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Nexus 5 > Nexus 6 > Pixel 2 XL. I'm blown away by my new toy so far! :D

Thanks for the vid. Looking forward to your input in the Pixel 2 forum. :cool:

Last edited:

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Too bad you feel unwelcome specifically due to your X chromosome. I suggest you ignore the trolls.

So with the screen: I was at the VZW store twice last week.

On first visit I was impressed with the screen. I compared it to my OG P1. The screen was brighter, the contrast better. Not even a contest. Both phones were at full brightness.

Then, I turned on the camera app. P1 was again fairly murky looking. Colors were darker than reality. The P2 was spot on. Had I been able to remove the screen and place it on the grey table I think it would have blended in like a chameleon.

Then people called out the blue shift and I went back. The shift was easy to spot. But note that it was NOT noticed on my first look because I freakin' don't look at the screen at an angle. Another person pointed out that P1 shifts to yellow, and even the exalted Samsung screen showed a shift, though I don't recall the color. Yes, the P2 was called out as the most noticeable of the 3. To my eye it is worse than the P1, but also, blued is more irritating then yellowed.

Now, that said, it was before the reviews came out. I wonder if I'll notice the complaints now that I'll be looking for it.

AustinIllini

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
OP, I love your avatar, and I'm glad you're a member!

Have an awesome day!

Pixel 2 XL is a screen correction (maybe even software) away from being the best phone on the market.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I used a PXL2 for an afternoon last week and NEVER NOTICED ANYTHING with a "blue shift" on the screen. It was dimmer than my PXL but we turned on the vivid colors and the brightness and I had NO complaints.

The Pixel XL is the FIRST phone that I have not been dying to replace at 6 months, let alone a year - that says something to me. Either I'm getting simpler, or this phone just does what it's supposed to do, well.

I'm being sucked in to the comparison game and FOMO/FOBO and I'm just looking for a place to land where we will find the GOOD about the new devices. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I stay pretty quiet, because a girl can seriously get her throat ripped out if I dare make a thread or a comment that I didn't "RTFM" or "do a search" for, prior to posting. I get it. Ya'll are busy. But that's what FORUMS are for, and should be WELCOMING to questions and NEW people -- it's a community. I've seen people treated very badly in AC and I keep my mouth shut because of it.

I will comment on this part since I don't want you to ever feel this way. You post how you want to post -- if others don't like it and jump down your throat or whatever just click the report button to notify me & my team. We don't mind disagreements but there is a fine line between disagreements and being.. well .. a jerk.

Just report bad posts and we will handle them. Don't ever not post because someone wants to feel superior by acting like a jerk :).

trap49

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I've had the 2 XL for 1 day, and I love it! It boots up very, very fast. What an improvement over my 6P, which took 2 minutes or more before all my email and messages finally synced up. And the screen is great! I don't have a recent Samsung to compare it to, but it blows away the screen on my 6P. Sorry, but I couldn't possibly care less about the blue tint at an angle. I look at phones straight on, so for me, it's a non-issue. I like the eSim, I was able to get up and running very quickly (I was already using Project Fi on my 6P). The apps transferred via cable from my 6P with no problems, except the Amazon app store and Amazon apps did not come over. Once I installed the Amazon app store, it all synced up in minutes. I did have trouble pairing my Garmin fitness watch, but it was my fault because it can only be paired with one device at a time, and I hadn't un-paired it from the 6P. Overall, the 2 XL is fast as hell, and I am loving it.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I will comment on this part since I don't want you to ever feel this way. You post how you want to post -- if others don't like it and jump down your throat or whatever just click the report button to notify me & my team. We don't mind disagreements but there is a fine line between disagreements and being.. well .. a jerk.

Just report bad posts and we will handle them. Don't ever not post because someone wants to feel superior by acting like a jerk :).

Literally yesterday I was told "if you did a simple search here's what you'd find" -- well, whizzo, I did do a search and I didn't find it, so I came and asked. There are a LOT of men here, and RUDE ones at that. Maybe you should start a women's AC ;-)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Literally yesterday I was told "if you did a simple search here's what you'd find" -- well, whizzo, I did do a search and I didn't find it, so I came and asked. There are a LOT of men here, and RUDE ones at that. Maybe you should start a women's AC ;-)

Well -- let's be fair now. They can be rude but making a sexist type remark (and assuming everyone else is a man) can be bad as well. Let's just put all those aside ;). We don't need a women's AC -- I have mods on my team that are women. Gender or anything of that nature shouldn't even be part of a conversation on a board for nerds to nerd out :D.

As I said though -- just report it and ignore it. One of us will step in if need be. We can't see all posts or prevent all rudeness on the board since well .. this is the internet .. but with that said if we are notified we can help steer people into a more positive discussion.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've had the 2 XL for 1 day, and I love it! It boots up very, very fast. What an improvement over my 6P, which took 2 minutes or more before all my email and messages finally synced up. And the screen is great! I don't have a recent Samsung to compare it to, but it blows away the screen on my 6P. Sorry, but I couldn't possibly care less about the blue tint at an angle. I look at phones straight on, so for me, it's a non-issue. I like the eSim, I was able to get up and running very quickly (I was already using Project Fi on my 6P). The apps transferred via cable from my 6P with no problems, except the Amazon app store and Amazon apps did not come over. Once I installed the Amazon app store, it all synced up in minutes. I did have trouble pairing my Garmin fitness watch, but it was my fault because it can only be paired with one device at a time, and I hadn't un-paired it from the 6P. Overall, the 2 XL is fast as hell, and I am loving it.

I did play w/ a friends 2 XL today and that this is super fast. Snappy as all get out. Just like the reviews have been saying.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Well -- let's be fair now. They can be rude but making a sexist type remark (and assuming everyone else is a man) can be bad as well. Let's just put all those aside ;). We don't need a women's AC -- I have mods on my team that are women. Gender or anything of that nature shouldn't even be part of a conversation on a board for nerds to nerd out :D.

As I said though -- just report it and ignore it. One of us will step in if need be. We can't see all posts or prevent all rudeness on the board since well .. this is the internet .. but with that said if we are notified we can help steer people into a more positive discussion.

LMAO @ Sexist. Fair enough, although the avatar was that of a man ;) so it wasn't a complete assumption.

Anyhoodle, I'm all for leaving gender out of it. For years I had my own picture, then changed it to nothing and now I have one that indicates I'm a woman. my bad. :p

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: &gt;&gt; Pixel 2/2 XL -positive comments thread &lt;&lt;

It's not so bad to be honest. With his I could see it but it's truly only at a crazy angle.

Read this from Russell. - - https://www.androidcentral.com/relax-about-pixel-2-xl-display

This. Just got mine several hours ago and it was the first thing I checked for. The phone has to be at a severe angle to see the blue tint. Coming from a 6p it's finally nice to be able to see the screen in sunlight and with my sunglasses on. Loving it so far, glad I didn't cancel my pre-order.

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I have been a Droid guy for a long long time. Have literally owned a phone from every major player...a few Nexus, including my 6 that I just sent back to Google regrettably.....went back to Samsung to check the hype and because I have tech ADD.

Yesterday my P2XL arrived...and less than 24 hours in...I am in love. Fast, Oreo...the screen is just fine. Camera is magnificent...just pleased as punch. Going to be happy to keep this for 2 or 3 years.

mrjetpacks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 4 >> Nexus 6 >> Nexus 6P >> Pixel 2 XL aka Storm Trooper

Good initial post to start the thread. Nice to know you exist. Not just as fan and diehard user of Android, but being newly, and fully, committed to the Pixel series. I foresee such a future for myself as well. iPhone users have a following. Pixel needs, and has, one as well. All the better when people stand behind their openly decisive commitment to the brand and user experience.

Ultimately, the user experience created/offered in Android Oreo (as the heat was quite turned up even with Android Nougat) is what I find the hardest to shake. I recently was in denial prior to the Pixel 2 series announcement, and purchased a Xiaomi Mi MIX. I loVed the big screen and the big battery...but the UI just not my cup of tea. Google's software has spoiled me. Nothing compares. Hardware is forever improving, and the mobile world in general has plenty of room for such...but Android Oreo software...mmmmmM closer and closer to perfection we are.

"All I want for Christmas" is RCS messaging for Android Messages on any Google (Pixel and Nexus) device.

Once my Storm Trooper is delivered...I will be a very happy camper, and ready to strengthen the numbers of the Pixel legion!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
RCS messaging is available if you go get it, are you meaning that you want it native? read receipts make me cranky..lol but the other aspects would be fun. More than anything, I want iPhone people to have their devices and us Android folks to have ours, and I want a unified means of communication - supported by both platforms where everyone "gets along" and has the fun .... I do envy iMessage but I'm not going iPhone for it. I've watched technology evolve for so long, I'm sure something will come along. Wouldn't it be cool if we could cross party lines and work together? LOL

mrjetpacks

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
RCS messaging is available if you go get it, are you meaning that you want it native? read receipts make me cranky..lol but the other aspects would be fun. More than anything, I want iPhone people to have their devices and us Android folks to have ours, and I want a unified means of communication - supported by both platforms where everyone "gets along" and has the fun .... I do envy iMessage but I'm not going iPhone for it. I've watched technology evolve for so long, I'm sure something will come along. Wouldn't it be cool if we could cross party lines and work together? LOL
I want RCS messaging to be native, yes. I know it is currently available for those on Sprint...but for all carriers to incorporate the technology is my desire. A unified means of communication is the ultimate desire, of course (especially in Emoji Land...even if to look Android-ish vs iPhone-ish remain different Looking when received...to at least be able to SEE the emoji characters would be great) instead of having to do so via an app.