Battery Life Thread

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
After the 6p I'm having to reset what is acceptable when it comes to charging. Before I'd plug it into my car and have 100% ready for **** signal at work etc.
Just doesn't matter now 4.5 hours today and still on 47%

kayfaei

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I agree coming from a Nexus 6 I'm not used to such a battery. I took my phone off the charger a hour and 16 minutes ago and it's still saying 100 percent. haven't dropped yet.
whereas my Nexus 6 would of been about 90 percent by now. I don't get off work until 12am ( it's 6:16pm right now) we'll see what the percentage will be then as I use the AC app and watch YouTube videos and oh yeah. work.

Edit: it's 5 minutes till end of work for me and it only dropped down to 80 percent.

Last edited:

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Battery life is not a weak component of the Pixel 2 XL. I have yet to have experienced an off day. I have only had one time the phone died on me but I was pushing it. I had it off the charger for more than a day and had almost 7 hours of sot.

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
3 hours SOT today so far and still on 60%, could only dream of that on my 6P. Used a radio app and music a lot too.
I will say though you have to make sure certain apps don't run in the background. I had one checking location all the time although the phone did warn me. Facebook was bad too for background running so I've used friendly instead.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Battery life is not a weak component of the Pixel 2 XL. I have yet to have experienced an off day. I have only had one time the phone died on me but I was pushing it. I had it off the charger for more than a day and had almost 7 hours of sot.

Wow! Ultra impressive!

Forest Dane

Feb 5, 2015
Visit site
Be interested to see what's the best SOT anyone has had yet. I know there's so many variables especially in screen brightness and obviously where you are will have a big say in that. Here in the UK we're on the same latitude as Canada so at this time of year it's never really bright.

Anyway best I've had and not trying was 7.75 hours with about 10% left. I watched some football and a film last weekend.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Remember that many apps will let you shut off background activity. I believe it’s settings, apps then battery. If you have the battery option, you can completely kill the app from doing stupid when you don’t want it to. I’ve also been playing with the naptime app, my battery life on the P2 has been insane.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This is my current charge cycle. I guess maybe Airplane mode is cheating a little, but I spend most of my time on WiFi/WiFi Calling and when I am on the road I usually keep data off. Two reasons, 1) It reinforces my desire to keep my phone in my pocket and not play at redlights 2) Battery life. ;)

I can only imagine what the P2XL would do.

The best part is spending a weekend out of town with inlaws (not so great) and not needing a charger (so great).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171126-195304.jpg
    Screenshot_20171126-195304.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20171126-195251.jpg
    Screenshot_20171126-195251.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Screenshot_20171126-195256.jpg
    Screenshot_20171126-195256.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 44

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
This is my current charge cycle. I guess maybe Airplane mode is cheating a little, but I spend most of my time on WiFi/WiFi Calling and when I am on the road I usually keep data off. Two reasons, 1) It reinforces my desire to keep my phone in my pocket and not play at redlights 2) Battery life. ;)

I can only imagine what the P2XL would do.

The best part is spending a weekend out of town with inlaws (not so great) and not needing a charger (so great).

Wow, and this is a Pixel 2?! Yup, you've made me decide to buy one! (I keep going back and forth between different possible choices... But I love the Pixel 2.)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Wow, and this is a Pixel 2?! Yup, you've made me decide to buy one! (I keep going back and forth between different possible choices... But I love the Pixel 2.)

Morty..... You can't go wrong with either one.
If there's a reason you prefer the two than that's the one for you.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Just remember to flip this switch on every app that will let you: Android Oreo feature spotlight: You can force Android's new background limits on old apps

A few other notables about my usage:
1) I do not let email sync automatically. This is for my own sanity but it makes a difference with battery life
2) I keep BT and GPS off until I need it. This IS for battery although I think it's negligible.
3) Naptime makes a difference. You can find it on Google Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.doze&hl=en
If you are not rooted like me, you will need ADB on a computer to get it going. I think most of my long standby time is due to Naptime. When I take mine off the charger and walk away, it's still at 100% 8 or 9 hours later (if I've unplugged it at the "perfect" time). Of course, remember that the 100% range is a bit of a lie on Android and iOS.

Sorry for the rambling, I just don't want anyone to think their Pixel 2 will do this out of the box.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Finally plugging up this morning @5% left. 4:45 SOT and off the charger for 2 days, 11 hours and 55 minutes. Shoot, maybe I'll wait 5 minutes. 😉

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Just remember to flip this switch on every app that will let you: Android Oreo feature spotlight: You can force Android's new background limits on old apps

A few other notables about my usage:
1) I do not let email sync automatically. This is for my own sanity but it makes a difference with battery life
2) I keep BT and GPS off until I need it. This IS for battery although I think it's negligible.
3) Naptime makes a difference. You can find it on Google Play here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.franco.doze&hl=en
If you are not rooted like me, you will need ADB on a computer to get it going. I think most of my long standby time is due to Naptime. When I take mine off the charger and walk away, it's still at 100% 8 or 9 hours later (if I've unplugged it at the "perfect" time). Of course, remember that the 100% range is a bit of a lie on Android and iOS.

Sorry for the rambling, I just don't want anyone to think their Pixel 2 will do this out of the box.

Thank you so much for explaining all of that! I do have apps like Facebook turned off and BT is almost never on... But I know there are a lot of other things I could do to get better battery life! Naptime sounds interesting!

sselemanrm

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site

He'd get an hour extra, which would be 5 to 5 1/2 hours in 2 days time using 85-90% battery. That's what I'm getting consistentally

thanks for the android police link. I noticed you can't turn off background activity with every app(like chrome), but its still a pretty good feature.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the android police link. I noticed you can't turn off background activity with every app(like chrome), but its still a pretty good feature.
The more apps you have, the larger the difference it seems to make. Even if a lot of them say, "0% battery usage" I'm starting to believe that 0% means 0% - .9%. Add in 30 apps all using 0.5% and 15% battery usage is a lot.

I also keep mobile data off because it seems to curb Google Play Service's desire to eat up a couple hundred MB's of my Project Fi data every month......those punks. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech