Can anyone explain what the functional differences are between the various screen calibrations but in layman's terms?

I know from digital TV's calibration is a software issue. You can hire someone to do it if you'd like.

That being the case, Can't Google (or a 3rd party) open up the XL2 to allow calibration with a software update and let us saturate the screen to our hearts content?

Sorry, but I'm confused
    10-19-2017 01:34 PM
    So basically calibration is using a device to measure the output of a display and tuning the software settings to match known values as closely as possible to what's being output. It is possible for the OEM to add color sliders, or different display modes, or both. Several of them do this, including Google in last year's Pixels. Last year the default out of the box was more saturated and you had to go into developer options in order to enable sRGB if you prefer accurate colors. Now, accurate is the default.

The main reason it is the default, is because Android, starting with Android O, now supports OS level color management, which means that the type of content you are viewing dictates the way that colors are displayed. In order to do this well, displays need to be calibrated exceptionally well to both the sRGB and DCI-P3 color gamuts, as those are the two that are going to be chosen for most content (photos and videos). The rest is simply icons and the colored portions of apps, etc.

Short answer, Google absolutely can (and probably will, given the response) give people the option to switch their default display to poor colors. If they do that, they will probably still have the OS switch it to accurate colors when viewing photos, videos, any apps that call for the color management protocols, etc.
    10-19-2017 01:51 PM
    I'm guessing after a day you will be used to the new look and start to appreciate it.
    gabbott likes this.
    10-19-2017 02:50 PM