Finally have my phone and need to go through the initial set-up. I've read that with the included cable you can connect an old phone and transfer everything or start clean. What do you guys think? I'm thinking of starting clean and just reinstalling everything I need. Any advantages/disadvantages to these options?
    10-19-2017 05:50 PM
    One big disadvantage: you're wasting time! Set it up! Use it! Love it! Do it anyway you want, It's your phone.
    Apple2Droid and aximtreo like this.
    10-19-2017 06:00 PM
    I used the adapter thingy in the box, it's pretty sweet!
    10-19-2017 06:18 PM
    I came from a pixel XL... so I plugged them together and it was a breeze.
    10-19-2017 06:23 PM
    Starting fresh when I get mine. Always like fresh installs
    modifier, DMP89145 and ihbsbA like this.
    10-19-2017 08:34 PM
    Mine arrived today, waiting on me to get home. I'll generally do fresh installs on new phones, but i may transfer since I'm coming from the OG Pixel.
    10-19-2017 08:42 PM
    A very noobie question i know.
    I have a moto g3 and tomorrow my pixel 2 is scheduled to arrive.
    I'm pretty sure photos and emails are always backed up anyway so I assume i need to port across my texts and contacts.
    Apps I am happy to just download again.
    My new sim will already have my existing number so I don't need to put the old sim in the pixel.
    Can someone advise what to do about the texts and contacts?
    Thanks
    10-20-2017 11:05 AM
    I'm pretty sure photos and emails are always backed up anyway so I assume i need to port across my texts and contacts.
    My new sim will already have my existing number so I don't need to put the old sim in the pixel.
    Thanks
    10-20-2017 11:05 AM
    Contacts should be linked to your Gmail account. As soon as u sign into that, you'll have your contacts. This is assuming that as u put them in your g3 it was set to Google and not phone. The texts, if u want to transfer, the included cable should do it, otherwise it sounds like there are other ways to do it if the cable doesn't work.
    10-20-2017 11:16 AM
    Contacts should be linked to your Gmail account. As soon as u sign into that, you'll have your contacts. This is assuming that as u put them in your g3 it was set to Google and not phone. The texts, if u want to transfer, the included cable should do it, otherwise it sounds like there are other ways to do it if the cable doesn't work.
    Many thanks
    10-20-2017 11:18 AM
    Many thanks
    10-20-2017 11:19 AM
    Thanks
    If you've been using Google Contact Manager, all you'd have to do to get your contacts is sign in to your Google account.
    10-20-2017 11:33 AM
    I am thinking of deleting apps I have not used in a long time and reinstall as I may need them. The rest would come over on the porting cable, I assume all app settings would come over also. Hopefully samsung uninstallable bloatware does not come for the ride or I may need to start fresh.

Would like to know how well the transfer over the cable works.
    10-20-2017 11:35 AM
    If you've been using Google Contact Manager, all you'd have to do to get your contacts is sign in to your Google account.
    Cheers. I think I probably am. Not very good at the tech side but I am hoping by signing in I will get contacts.
    The only other issue is that I have 2 google accounts which I use equally, one for me and one for me and my wife. I don't know which one all my contacts are connected to but I normally add both to my phone so I hope all the contacts will then import.
    Ta
    10-20-2017 11:53 AM
    Let me know how this goes, just curious. I have never set up multiple Google accounts on a phone (honestly didn't know you could) so just curious how the contacts assigned to each are handled.
    10-21-2017 05:02 AM
    Let me know how this goes, just curious. I have never set up multiple Google accounts on a phone (honestly didn't know you could) so just curious how the contacts assigned to each are handled.
    Will do. On my Motot G3 I signed in with one of the accounts and then just added the other from what i remember. This means I can switch easily between them in gmail, and I seem to have all my contacts and all my wifes ones too as she uses one of the accounts.
    10-21-2017 05:12 AM
    No problem having multiple Gmail accts. Under each acct. You can then select what you want to sync and what not to sync.
    10-21-2017 05:51 AM
    No issues. Both accounts added, all contacts present. Pretty easy really
    10-21-2017 02:50 PM
    Cool, thanks. I know see the easy of changing accounts in gmail (since me work email goes through gmail with this phone) but that's nice there were no issues merging contacts into one place.
    10-21-2017 03:49 PM