Why did you guys buy the Pixel 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Not trying to roast, just curious. No headphone jack, low IP67 rating, no wireless charging, no dual camera, no microSD, no features. Even the Essential Phone is starting to look better. Doesn't seem like an upgrade from the previous Pixel, which had a better build quality of metal. It also broke when JerryRigEverything put it through the bend test. Was it because of hype? Or just wanted to try it out?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Headphone jack - I don't use
IP67 - is fine for me
Wireless charging - Convenient but not a must have for me
Dual cameras - Cool but again not a must have for me
MicroSD - not needed. I have 128 on the Pixel. More then enough for me
JerryRig - I don't plan to take a knife / bend / put a lighter to my phone. I think I will be fine. All my previous phones have been fine :)

I am getting the Pixel for quick updates (latest software) + security fixes. Also the camera is pretty on-point.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You already have like 9 headphone jack threads, let's not turn this into another, if that's cool.

How is IP67 low? It's literally the exact same rating as IP68 with a difference of 50 centimeters. Given that phones are never meant to be exposed to water, unless you're
dropping your phone into a bath tub or puddle that's nearly as tall as you are, it's impossible to ever have a realistic situation where the different would matter.

Wireless charging ... that's the cost of not having an all glass phone in 2017. Would it be nice? Sure.

Dual camera seems not to matter much when the Pixel is one of the best on the market with 1 lens.

MicroSD, feel like this has been beaten to death. I prefer to not have it, you prefer to have it, a lo che si dici?

No features? Best camera you can buy on a phone, lens, best software you can buy on a phone, best security you can buy on a phone, only Android phone that will still be fully up to date until the end of 2020.

Build quality? 1st and 2nd Pixels are made out of mostly the same stuff. So identical build materials... The glass window got smaller, so there's more aluminum. Not sure what you were trying to say. Are you meaning that the original was better built? Based only on Zach's test?

Let's say there are three main types of Android nerds. The Note crowd, the V30 crowd and the Pixel crowd. Obviously there are some outliers. If you're not in love with the Note or V30, for example if you can't get on board with all glass devices, with bad software, weaker cameras, terrible security, infrequent, incredibly late or non-existent updates and perhaps want the Android version of the phone that "just works"... then the Pixel line up is the default option. For some people, like those for which privacy and security are a primary consideration, it's the only option.

Torisen1

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Because it's the new hotness, for me anyway.

No headphone jack I have not used a headphone jack in over 2 years.
low IP67 rating My OG Pixel didn't have that and it's not been an issue.
no wireless charging. Never used it so what is there to miss.
no dual camera. Not really an issue for me.
no microSD. I find this one kinda funny as no "Google" phone other than the one released in 2010 has had a microSD slot and to expect them to have one now is strange, it's never going to happen.
JerryRig I'm pretty careful with my phones, my OG XL still looks the same as the day I took it out of the box. I never get anywhere close to doing to a phone what this guy does to a phone.

What I do like coming from the OG XL is the larger screen size, an even better camera (which will get even better), dual front facing speakers and I think the design looks really great.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Not trying to roast, just curious. No headphone jack, low IP67 rating, no wireless charging, no dual camera, no microSD, no features. Even the Essential Phone is starting to look better. Doesn't seem like an upgrade from the previous Pixel, which had a better build quality of metal. It also broke when JerryRigEverything put it through the bend test. Was it because of hype? Or just wanted to try it out?

With all due respect why do you need a phone that can pass the extreme bend test?

Yeah....you pegged me....I bought it because I wanted to be like the other pixelites.

By the way the camera and software updates alone is enough reason to buy this phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Because it's the new hotness, for me anyway.

No headphone jack I have not used a headphone jack in over 2 years.
low IP67 rating My OG Pixel didn't have that and it's not been an issue.
no wireless charging. Never used it so what is there to miss.
no dual camera. Not really an issue for me.
no microSD. I find this one kinda funny as no "Google" phone other than the one released in 2010 has had a microSD slot and to expect them to have one now is strange, it's never going to happen.
JerryRig I'm pretty careful with my phones, my OG XL still looks the same as the day I took it out of the box. I never get anywhere close to doing to a phone what this guy does to a phone.

What I do like coming from the OG XL is the larger screen size, an even better camera (which will get even better), dual front facing speakers and I think the design looks really great.

I agree with you here everywhere except headphone jack. I use a 3.5 mm cable almost every day. Today I got on my bike, plugged in my 3.5 mm aux cable into my Pixel 2 XL via the adapter, and hey.. my motorcycle starts playing music. WTF, this guy has been telling me for months that it wouldn't work. So not only does it not matter for people who don't use the port (you're absolutely right) - it also doesn't matter for those who DO use it. Because every accessory I've tried with my phone has worked so far, and I've been trying accessories with the 2 XL since late July.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why will I buy the Pixel 2 XL (or maybe the 2, not sure yet)? Because it's going to be given to my wife...

As I've mentioned before, one of the biggest mistakes I ever made was NOT getting my wife a Nexus 6P back in 2015 when I got mine. Since then, it's been dumpster fire after dumpster fire (including a phone that literally could have caused one) of one OEM phone after another while my workhorse 6P trudged along, getting it done without any pomp and circumstanece. It all culminated in May with me taking her LG G6 and giving her that 6P.

Since then? Not a single complaint. It STILL runs better than anything that had a LG or Samsung tramp stamp on it, STILL takes great photos. That's what Google brings to the table.... a damn good phone that won't turn into a mobile version of "20 faces of meth" a year or two down the road.

openwheelracing

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Nothing else provides better software. Pixel phones are essentially iPhones with Android freedom.

You have to try a Pixel to understand. You also have to be kind of OCD, very organized minimalist. It is not for everyone, no phone is. The Pixel is the most perfect phone for me, it is not perfect, but nothing else comes close.

Samsung: Love screen. Love hardware, hate their software. Hate the Samsung stutter, hate the slow OS a d security update.

LG: same as Samsung, except I don't love their screens.

Apple: love the software and hardware. Hate Siri.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
More to the point perhaps, is why would anyone not buy it, given the specs? That’s assuming that you’re thinking of buying high-end expensive devices in the first place.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Headphone jack - I hear the dongle makes the sound pretty good. I also have bluetooth headphones. It's going to take a little getting used to, but it'll be fine.
IP67 - Uhm... I'm not going to be swimming with my phone, and the difference isn't even that much. But it'll survive rain, a splash and an accidental dip. Seems like the same people that were saying the G6 wasn't meant to be waterproof with their IP68 are the same talking bad about the Pixel 2 XL.. not saying you, but specifically what I've been seeing.
Wireless charging - Never bought one. LG G6 was the first phone I had with it since the Palm Pre.
Dual cameras - This will be a little harder for my wife, BUT.. she love the Pixel 2 camera so much already. For me it's not much of a deal breaker. While the wide angle of the LG persuasion is actually really dope, I noticed that most of the pics I take and upload aren't wide angle anyway.
MicroSD - I don't need it. I stream my music, I have a 128 SD card in my G6 and frankly rarely used it. My G6 is 32 GB and I'm sitting at around 19 to 27 GB used on any given day. I'm already using Google Photos, so having unlimited file size uploads for 3 years is pretty cool!
JerryRig - serious... ?

But anyway, I missed the days of having updates directly from Google, and I needed a bit of a change.. It'll be refreshing not to have to try to defend my purchase for awhile.... I mean, I'm kind of doing it now but not as hard as when I purchased the V10, V20, or the G6. haha

ludzy#AC

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
I bought mine because I've had 3 years of Samsung phones and wanted to get back to the pure Android experience. I miss my old Nexus 4.

looking forward to regular updates.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

1. It has a headphone jack - just not one that is dedicated only for headphones. Crazy talk? No, just another changing of the times. Like when everyone had to get those darn 1/4" to 1/8" adapaters so they could use their real headphones on all the new-fangled gear, back in the day. Any old-timers out there know what I'm talking about...

2. Is IP67 going to be functionally lower for you than IP68 would be? Just in case you weren't aware, the only difference is that while the IP67 rating indicates resistance to water is fine for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 1m, the IP68 rating lets you go 0.5m deeper - for no additional time. If you are really planning on using your phone in such a way that would make that difference important, you should probably note that none of the manufacturers warrant against water damage, despite the given IP rating.

3. No wireless charging... That might be something I care about more in a few years when stations are more prevalent in cars, etc, but for now its a frill I don't care about any more than when I had the option with my N6.

4. No dual camera... Let's see... so I use the camera to capture video and pictures, and Google's single camera is widely reviewed as being as good as or better than any dual camera phone out there for the vast majority of camera purposes, and it does so while only having a single functional unit required, where having 2 cameras to remain functional means having 2 sets of equipment that could either fail. Yep, I actually prefer the single camera here. To be fair, if I highly valued telephoto shots, that would be a shortcoming for the Pixels. But I don't.

5. No micro-SD. Haven't had it in ages, haven't needed it in longer. The base 64GB is ample for me, and if it's a choice between gaining removable storage or keeping completely unlimited online storage of all media I capture (which, hey, it actually is the choice), I'll stick with the online storage. Over 30GB used up with my 2016 Pixel, so I'd say I'm well ahead of the game.

6. No features. Err... aside from the fact that there are a variety of physical features that the Pixels have over competitors, the real strength lies in their software features, which is far more important to me now - and will only continue to grow as Google continues to improve upon it over the next few years even for current buyers (or those to whom they sell the device, adding value) while competitors stagnate after getting, if they're lucky, 1 update.

7. Build quality. Unless he's using equipment that applies measured, repeatable force to exact locations on all phones he tests, bending is generally meaningless - not only could he, if he wanted, use more or less force intentionally, he absolutely will do so unintentionally. And the minimum force I've ever perceived him using on any test is far more than any I've ever applied to any of my devices.

8. Hype? Last year's Pixels blew every other Android out of the water in terms of smoothness and just plain functionality. And mine was running as smooth as it did the day I got it when I retired it yesterday. I didn't update based on hype. I updated based on track record.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
1. It has a headphone jack - just not one that is dedicated only for headphones. Crazy talk? No, just another changing of the times. Like when everyone had to get those darn 1/4" to 1/8" adapaters so they could use their real headphones on all the new-fangled gear, back in the day. Any old-timers out there know what I'm talking about...

2. Is IP67 going to be functionally lower for you than IP68 would be? Just in case you weren't aware, the only difference is that while the IP67 rating indicates resistance to water is fine for up to 30 minutes at a depth of 1m, the IP68 rating lets you go 0.5m deeper - for no additional time. If you are really planning on using your phone in such a way that would make that difference important, you should probably note that none of the manufacturers warrant against water damage, despite the given IP rating.

3. No wireless charging... That might be something I care about more in a few years when stations are more prevalent in cars, etc, but for now its a frill I don't care about any more than when I had the option with my N6.

4. No dual camera... Let's see... so I use the camera to capture video and pictures, and Google's single camera is widely reviewed as being as good as or better than any dual camera phone out there for the vast majority of camera purposes, and it does so while only having a single functional unit required, where having 2 cameras to remain functional means having 2 sets of equipment that could either fail. Yep, I actually prefer the single camera here. To be fair, if I highly valued telephoto shots, that would be a shortcoming for the Pixels. But I don't.

5. No micro-SD. Haven't had it in ages, haven't needed it in longer. The base 64GB is ample for me, and if it's a choice between gaining removable storage or keeping completely unlimited online storage of all media I capture (which, hey, it actually is the choice), I'll stick with the online storage. Over 30GB used up with my 2016 Pixel, so I'd say I'm well ahead of the game.

6. No features. Err... aside from the fact that there are a variety of physical features that the Pixels have over competitors, the real strength lies in their software features, which is far more important to me now - and will only continue to grow as Google continues to improve upon it over the next few years even for current buyers (or those to whom they sell the device, adding value) while competitors stagnate after getting, if they're lucky, 1 update.

7. Build quality. Unless he's using equipment that applies measured, repeatable force to exact locations on all phones he tests, bending is generally meaningless - not only could he, if he wanted, use more or less force intentionally, he absolutely will do so unintentionally. And the minimum force I've ever perceived him using on any test is far more than any I've ever applied to any of my devices.

8. Hype? Last year's Pixels blew every other Android out of the water in terms of smoothness and just plain functionality. And mine was running as smooth as it did the day I got it when I retired it yesterday. I didn't update based on hype. I updated based on track record.

Damn, sonny boy, well stated.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Original Pixel Trade in value is a lot higher than my V20. I still owe about 360 on my phone. it's worth about 160 dollars towards a V30

harv3

Aug 31, 2017
Visit site
i wanted a phone that is not all glass, just demanding a metal body or something else tougher than glass eliminates most of the competition.
for me front facing speaker is a must, 2 is even better. again that also eliminates most of the competition.
also the plain android software without all the bloatware.
very fast long term updates

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.